Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New to Flatheads, Looking for help in MN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin L Kitchen, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Kevin L Kitchen

Kevin L Kitchen
    from Anoka MN

Hi All,
    I'll spare everyone the details, but I recently acquired a '34 ford pickup with engines, parts, etc, and dont have a clue. I cant afford to just pay someone to put it all together (and I dont want to), so I am wondering if there are any of you local willing to teach and or help a brother out. I am close to Anoka MN.

2. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Back to da Fifties is coming up. You may be surprised what some people will do for beer.
    Got a trailer?

Los_Control likes this.
  3. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Even mow the single girl yard next door .... Amazing what people will do for beer :D

4. BJR

BJR

What questions do you have?

5. Slopok

Slopok

If you're not willing to pay somebody and don't want to do it yourself, you may as well look for another hobby! :rolleyes:

caprockfabshop and scoop like this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously, you are probably in one of the best areas in the country to make this happen.

I would suggest finding and joining the nearest chapter of "The Early Ford V8 Club" in your area and go from there. I would also suggest that you join "The Ford Barn" forum. This one's pretty good, but the guys over there really know their stuff. They mainly lean towards stock restorations, but there are also some of the finest experts on modified cars over there.

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, welcome to the HAMB from East Tennessee:). Second, you're in luck since you live only 30 miles from a most excellent person who just happens to live 30 miles from you. If you contact @moriarty, he can point you in the direction you need to go. Click on his name, click on "Start a conversation" and tell him what you need.

Toms Dogs and tractorguy like this.
  8. Kevin L Kitchen

Kevin L Kitchen
    from Anoka MN

I don’t have one yet, I just got the truck this week. Are you suggesting I trailer it to the show? I have been many times but….

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  9. Kevin L Kitchen

Kevin L Kitchen
    from Anoka MN

@Bird man Clearly I’m new to the sites so please forgive the lack of reference to the original post.
    @Slopok - I see the humor, but I want to do some myself and the “details” are important to your acknowledgment. My old man had this for his retirement project and life kicked him and kept kicking so he decided he wouldn’t finish. So I would like to finish it and return it so he can enjoy it a little before full retirement.

@BJR - my question generally …. Do you have any suggestions on resources for chassis and engine work for dummies. I have been YouTubing and googling for months before getting the truck and now I see there is more to go over than just what I knew was needed. It’s an original frame with disassembled 59A and a partially clean 8BA block and multiple cranks and T5’s …. Brakes have been upgraded to hydraulics and just need filing and connecting. Drop tub axle and transverse leaf. Steering box needs rebuild. need to start somewhere and don’t know where and don’t want to have to un do later to fix my ignorance….

tractorguy likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

I suggest using this as a build thread, and doing one thing at a time. Ask specific questions and we can guide you with specific answers. Shotgun questions will get you shotgun results.

11. Ziggster

Ziggster

Welcome! Nice to see you doing something for your father.
    Before getting started, think about how much you can afford or are willing to spend on this project. As you know prices on everything are just crazy since Covid, and even if can do stuff yourself it will still likely be costly, and you will need lots and lots of spare time. When I mean time, lots and lots of that time will be spent reading and researching on what it is you need to know/learn that you don’t know. As a relative newb to this hobby, I’ve spent countess hours trying to learn everything I needed to know, so “I could could do it myself”. What I thought would be a 2 yr project, is now in its 6th year, and likely 2 more until completion. Not saying yours will be that long, but start by making a list of what it is you know or think needs to be done (by category), and then applying some time estimates as to how long you think it might take. As mentioned, start a build thread, and start asking some questions as they arise. Folks here and on the Ford Barn are a wealth of knowledge.

12. clem

clem

maybe define what not having a clue means, as it may mean something different to everyone.
    Sounds like your dad might be the first to guide you and with added help from on here you may be on your way.

take lots of photos of how it is put together now, before you pull it to pieces.
    Look at projects on here and go to some shows and look at similar cars.
    Decide on what you want and don’t deviate…….

Petejoe likes this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Moriarity will surely send you in the right direction. Quite a few here have built these trucks.
    We will all help you here too.
    Yes start a build thread. And start asking questions on it. We will help every step of the way.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. clem

clem

and please click ‘full image’ option when posting photos, easier for all of the older eyes on here to see…………:)
    bttt………

IMG_6786.jpeg

Toms Dogs and dwollam like this.
  15. Barn Burner

Barn Burner
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Welcome Kevin
    I am in Maple Grove & would be happy to take a look & perhaps mentor you along in your project.
    I have sent you a PM with my contact info.
    Barn Burner

winduptoy, krazee, leon bee and 3 others like this.
  16. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

There are some excellent books available from parts vendors. I suggest you invest in one or more. Best investment you can make for not much money. Nice truck, by the way. Take your time and have fun with it. :)

warbird1 likes this.
  17. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

18. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Wouldn't hurt to check out the Ford Barn web site for help. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/
    Also maybe join the MSRA and check out the huge Back To The 50's show in June. Bet you will find some trucks to check out.

PS: The MSRA monthly magazine that comes with the membership has a great want ad section for any parts you may need.

BJR likes this.
  19. Slopok

Slopok

@Kevin L Kitchen I apologize for my comment, I totally mistook your (and I don't want to) quote as you didn't want to do any work on it yourself either. Listen to the advice given here and you'll be driving it before you know it!

krazee likes this.
  20. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

That bad boy looks like it has some good bones.
    Some people love welding and some love painting. Some are engine nuts.
    Some are upholsterers...
    Then there are the rare people who do it all.
    You may find you are a natural in one or more areas & can get help on others.
    Make your dad proud!

21. clem

clem

what a generous offer, and assuming that is your pickup in your avatar, I hope @Kevin L Kitchen takes you up on it !

Barn Burner likes this.
  22. Barn Burner

Barn Burner
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thanks Clem! Yes, I built my 31 with knowledge gained from the HAMB after joining in 2007.
    A great place to exchange ideas & pass on knowledge of maintaining & customizing cool vehicles!
    I hope to hear from Kevin soon!

Desoto291Hemi, Petejoe and clem like this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a solid start you have Kevin.
    Your bed sides look to be in really good shape.
    The firewall is original with a new skin welded to the outside.
    Now is a time to make a decision on whether you want to keep the right front fender spare storage. A lot of guys will give their left nut to trade you for a fender without the spare storage provision.
    Start a build thread so we can see more views and pictures of this truck with different angles. Use full screen pics please.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  24. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Obviously the first step is getting both blocks to a machine shop to have them magnafluxed to check for cracks. If they're both damaged, that will likely change the direction of the drivetrain. Better to work in steps as mentioned here, focusing on certain systems or components in order rather than buying catalog parts or shotgun blasting the garage with speed parts. :)

Petejoe likes this.