Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original paint coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by duncan, Jun 30, 2016.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

great work so far!
    will you chop her?

2. christmas tree

christmas tree

Duncan what kind of a clutch disc do you run and where can one be bought?

3. No chop for this car. Minimum metal work, to keep as much of the original paint as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

waxhead likes this.
  4. Thanks 383, I think it will be worth the effort.

5. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Hi Ron, bench tested the fuel gauge it works fine with the sending unit I have. Guess I will be throwing away the stick I use now after I get it installed in the Chevbucket.:) Thanks, I owe you one. Cheers John fuel gauge.JPG

6. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

7. Don't throw the stick away just yet John, I may need it.:rolleyes:

8. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

OK Ron, I will save the stick for you. It works good and is very accurate.:) gas gauge 1.JPG

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Wow Ron, I only just stumbled upon this thread now. I had no idea that you acquired this coupe. Very cool! Love the build plan!

10. Hi Ryan, Thanks, its starting to come together. You'll have to stop by one day.

11. Indeed. Way overdue for a visit!

12. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Sub'd, what a cool build, love your work,

13. x2 - a great car & a great thread!

14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I am not sure how I missed this thread up until now. I am glad that the coupe is not getting a hair cut. Will be watching from now on.

15. Thanks for the support all. A small update. Model TT gas tank and Halibrand 301 QC ready to get cleaned and built. The tank is full of rat shit but solid. The center has been repaired and is awaiting 42/48 axle housings, Bruce's adapters side plates and Hot Rod Works 40 style axle end's. Need Lincoln rear brakes and axles to pull it together with the 36 rear radius arms. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Thor1, kidcampbell71, Outback and 2 others like this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hey nice tank! Lol

17. Yeah Matt, you wouldn't believe what was inside it. Must have been a nest for decades.

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Was that why it was so heavy?

19. No shit, a gallon ice cream bucket full. I saved it for you. LOL

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

21. Sorry to take so long to get back to this. I pulled out the invoice and of course, there is no part number on it. It is a 10" disc, 1.250"-10 spline to fit a diaphragm pressure plate for a 264/322 Buick.

22. Took a break from metalwork to thin the pile of parts. Took the windshield hinge brackets off of a badly rotted frame and welded them on to an "experienced" chrome frame with just the right amount of shine, that had the brackets cut off of? Had to center drill and retap every screw, make new corner brackets and assemble over new glass. I didn't have the joint covers and new ones would be just to shiny, so I filled the gap with a bead of JB Weld, let it kick and buffed it from shiny grey to low luster. It now looks like a soldered joint. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thor1 and Runnin shine like this.
  23. YJ4000

YJ4000

That looks great! Good idea.

Ryan.

24. Great job so far.
    I'm missing the corner brackets for my 2 windshield frames. What size material did you use, and what thread sizes, spacing on the bolt holes? Any help appreciated.

25. Algoma, I used 1/2" square stock and milled them to 4.50 X 3.20. It took a small amount of file fitting, mostly to round the edge a bit, but fit well. Once they fit the slots, were center drilled and milled to 3/8" to accommodate the inner corners and bent (slightly over 90 degrees) in the middle, the lower leg was arched slightly to match the arch in the lower frame. I assembled the frame and center punched through the original holes and drilled/tapped for 10-32, slathered everything in Never-Seize and assembled it for keeps. Hope this helps.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. That's a big help, although I'm not sure what the 4.50 X 3.50 dimension refers to.? Is that a mill setting? Or is that supposed to be.450 & .320?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  27. Algoma, The end profile is a rectangle. When laying flat like in the photo, it is .450"wide by .320" high.

28. Yes, thanks. I grabbed a vernier tonight and measured inside the frame, and confirmed the .450 by .320. I'll see if I can get somebody here to mill up a foot or so of it, so that I can make up 2 sets. Thanks for the info and the image.

29. Algoma- It is hard to see in the photo, but the lower leg (the one on the left) is slightly arched to better fit the shape of the lower frame.

30. Hendee

Hendee

Hey Duncan. Any updates to offer? Really enjoying your thread and hoping its progressing. Will be copying your rear end build with the Champ Roadster 301 I have.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.