Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PAINTING YOUR ENGINE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 19, 2017.

1. [​IMG]When it comes time to paint the engine for your project do you paint it the color that it was originally offered or do you prefer to paint it a nice contrasting/matching color?

With the wagon I decided to use a color that had sprayed on a lot of parts that were not painted black or chrome platted.

It is a cast color according to the spray can and I thought it was a nice simple contrast color that looked good with the green paint. HRP

[​IMG]

2. 2935ford

2935ford

For me......Contrast.....but you sure better have that block CLEAN or the paint dries then just falls off! :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't care if a car was built in 1895 or yesterday, they all look best with a full hood. If you do have to look at the engine a color that compliments the polished or plated parts looks best. Bob

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm fond of the great pumpkin. But it needs to be a pumpkin. [​IMG]

5. I like to put one of them tiner paint jobs on my motours. :rolleyes:

My go to color for an engine is black. If my top end is aluminum I tend to leave it raw.

I am planning on black and gold for my olds motor no matter where it ends up. If its cast black and if its tin gold. So given that it has sheet metal intakes ( yes plural each one feeding 4 cylinders) with the valley pan cover, rocker covers and intakes it will have a lot of gold on the top side. LOL

6. metalman

metalman

Almost always a contrasting color. Rairly do I paint one the factory color or body color. Stock is boring, body color too street roddy. GM torch red is my normal go to color. Always seems to make any chrome, polish and even raw aluminum just pop.

kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. My Pontiac motor is black, not the original dark green Pontiac used from 1940 through '57. Thinking of repainting it dark green tho. It'd go with the crazy tanish, grayish green of the dash, the color I'd planning to paint the rest of the car.
    34dashpainted1.jpg 370ready.JPG

Ron Amittone, hipster, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  8. Now there is something I should have mentioned I usually use gloss paint on an engine unless flat is what I have and money if what I don't have. LOL

9. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just couldn't look at the stock orange/red in my "Thunderbird Blue" 55 bird. I went with "old ford" blue. But the 56 merc block in my roadster got a gold that's real close to the OEM color. But a lot of other motors got black.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I went with the red on my Deuce pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

11. My current engine, 406, is snow white. Last engine was silver, and the one before that was red. I like the white for the coupe best, more of a 60s look, and I always know right away if I have a leak.:D

pat59 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. There is only one choice. Red, no matter what color the car is. :cool: Ok if it is a 327 then Chevy Orange!:D
    Coleman R&R 008.JPG ROADSTER 013.JPG

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In my defense I've found a loop hole. The Chevy V8 in 1956 is suppose to be red put I painted it orange :p

14. It is a Chevy! You get a pass.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Years ago the block was painted black in my beater and until I need to rebuild the car or engine it will stay black.

If I was to paint the engine today it would be red and a Wimbledon White firewall also instead of black. HRP

[​IMG]

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Cool. The Orange also contrast's well with the Black firewall which should be Nassau Blue. How's that for holding all aspects of this topic ?

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I went with 80's Ford truck gray on my 302 just to be different. The car is gold, the engine bay is black, and I didn't want the same old Ford light or dark blue. Started to go with gold, or black and gold like Beaner, but figured the black would get lost in the bay and the gold engine would be too much with the gold outside, so the gray was a compromise. Just enough difference between the gray and the natural aluminum intake and accessory brackets. Valve covers for now are rusty chrome sanded and sprayed silver, plan on some finned aluminum later on.

[​IMG]

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I built a blown SBC for a black 32 5 window that a had a maroon leather interior, so we had the paint matched to the leather color and painted the engine & tranny

just the right match as it did not stand out too much just looked right

DND

hipster, Montana1, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  19. I've painted engines a lot of different colors, sometimes they work and sometimes not but when I saw your engine, I thought that looks familiar, that's the exact color I changed my engine (Avatar) to last year, VHT Cast Engine Paint, an amazing color, love it.
    Craig
    IMG_1393.JPG

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Totally depends on the nature of the vehicle. Danny, that gunmetal looks really good!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I vote green, and polish the valve covers, green between the fins...:) I like the "crazy tanish, grayish green", I think that would work well together!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Moselli

Moselli

I want to throw up when I see a Big Block Chevrolet motor painted any color other than the original Chevy Orange...

Attached Files:

23. papajohn

papajohn

Went copper on the 60 Olds wagoon.

Attached Files:

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:eek:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I used stock Model A Ford green on my Hudson's Holden six.
    It looks black most of the time, and the reason I used it, was to make the chrome parts pop more.

I have some nice finned alloy parts for the new engine I'm building for it, so I'd like to go with red this time, as I love the look of red between fins.

My opinion here, is anything but stock, stock sucks.

hipster and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just drinking from the vast reservoir of traditional hot rod knowledge on the HAMB. So much to learn, so little time...:)
    ScanImage101.jpg ScanImage102.jpg ScanImage103.jpg ScanImage104.jpg
    To think I almost painted my engine body colour, Whew, that was a close one! Thanks HAMB, for setting my feet back on the straight and narrow yet again!:D

28. I like either a black or cast iron colored paint on my engines. Cast aluminum valve covers and intake always compliment either and it's not too busy. Simplicity is the key in my book.

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black for my Pontiacs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Abone

Hackman, Jeff34, Gotgas and 4 others like this.