Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pontiac Type 47T Boattail Speedster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CLM, Mar 26, 2017.

1. CLM

CLM

About 18 months ago I went on a reliability run with a friend in his roadster and it lit a fire under me wanting an open top hotrod. So the wheels in my mind started turning and I started staring at my '47 Pontiac Torpedo parts car sitting beside the garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I realized it had great potential for a boattail speedster. I got a few Buick 401 Nailheads laying around and one is running. So I figure why not throw that in and make a little hotrod out of it. Kind of a cross between a Alfa Romeo 8C and a hotrod.

Anyways, the critters decided to try to move into the parts car a couple weeks ago (driving my dogs crazy) and I figure I needed to do something before the weather warms up and the wasp move in as well.

So between the rain showers this weekend, I started stripping down the car. Moved everything into storage that I need for my '47. Made yard art of the front clip for now. And started a scrap pile of the rotted away lower half of the car.

I popped a chalk line down the middle and started splitting the two halves.

[​IMG]

Still need to strip the dash out and cut the fire wall down. Then I can start piecing together the body.

[​IMG]

But I think this is going to work out well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a MG windshield that should work. Also have the folding frame for the convertible top.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Also picked up a straight axle from a '50 Chevy truck so I can do away with the ifs. Still need to figure out a steering box solution.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

dare to be different

3. CLM

CLM

Hnstray, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi C

What a hell of a idea, its great that some guys think outside of the box

You ever see the video on the ' Beast of Turen ' I think it is a 17 or so Fiat GP car

Wow what a chitty bang bang car with about 1800 + cubes, what a cool speedster

Looking forward to watching your speedster take shape

DND

Hnstray, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.

5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

You crafty devil I just see where you used the roof for your body sides, very cool dude

6. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

This is going to Rock! Can't wait to see more.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Is that Pontiac flatty a manual? If so, would you be willing to part with the flywheel and possibly the entire flywheel-clutch-bellhousing assembly?

8. Love it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. joee

joee

can't wait.....great vision

10. WOW, I did not see that comming! can't wait to see more.

11. CLM

CLM

DND, yes, love the Beast of Turen. Also look up the Prestwich aircooled v8 speedster. Equally as cool, just smaller.

Plym49, actually have two flathead 6 manuals, but want to hold onto them for now. If the auto behind my straight 8 in the wagon goes out, then I plan on transplanting the straight 8 into the speedster with the best of the manual parts I have.

12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Subscribed. This looks like a fun build! Very cool. :cool:

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's thinking out of the box! Great fun, here.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Wow, don't think I could've cut up that body. From the pictures it looks maybe a little rough, but not bad at all. Damn, you got guts, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Damn shame about that body though.....

15. CLM

CLM

Thanks, definitely out of the box. But I couldn't see scrapping a car with a good title.

Body was much worse than you think. Beltline up was great, everything below that was Swiss cheese. The undercoat was all that was holding much of it together. The rear fenders were held on with bailing wire and two bolts each. I put my socket on one bolt and it fell thru. And it provided many hard to find parts for my other '47. Fenders, doors, etc. are stored away in case I need anything from them.

I knew it was rusted when I bought it, but it was complete. Once we pulled the interior and the rust started falling out, the whole body would sway when you shut a door. So we braced it to keep it from falling apart in the driveway.

Here is a good shot of what the hidden parts of the car looked like.

[​IMG]

302GMC, Hnstray, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Wow that is going to be awesome. Really looking forward to seeing the progress as well as the finished product.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The photo in post 15 says it all as far as the car's actual condition was and now it gets to live a new life more than a little bit reconfigured rather than just giving up the good parts and heading to the crusher.

I'm in as I want to see where this goes. and it looks like a fun one
    '

Hnstray likes this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Not at all what I expected to see, but I'll be watching this one. Could be really great if executed correctly, looking forward to seeing more.

19. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Couldn't imagine how you were going to come up with a boat-tail speedster with what you started with, but that is a great idea you had. Can't wait to see more. Innovation is what this old game is all about.

20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Ditto that Rusted as I could not see where he was going either till he showed the roof pair setting there

Sometimes the light comes on for us and in his case very bright !!!

DND

21. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Like a sculptor seeing the final shape in the uncut stone! So cool, I'm subscribed.:D:D:D

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

excellent keep posting photos of your progress , this looks like a great project

23. I'm in, this is some of my favourite type of builds.
    This thing is going to rock.

24. I also shuddered at the thought of cutting up a torpedo 'til I saw it was a series 25 [chevy body shell and glass] and it was really rusty! I'd even run the 239 flat 6 in the roadster. I had one in a 41 coupe and drove that car all over the U.S.
    BTW, I don't see you busting up your hydramatic with a straight 8 Pontiac....103 horspower.

25. CLM

CLM

Both of the Flat 6's are froze up and not worth fooling with. Not worried about the power being to much, worried about the 35 year slumber I took it out of. Have only made some laps around the block with it so far, so we will see how it does when we start putting some miles on it. Have my fingers crossed than I can run it for many years in the wagon.

26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

We are thinking alike. :) I scored a '54 Pontiac straight eight for a future speedster or gow job project. Mine came out of an automatic car, and the PO kept the Hydramatic, so I am lacking flywheel, bellhousing, etc.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE ]Also picked up a straight axle from a '50 Chevy truck so I can do away with the ifs. Still need to figure out a steering box solution.[/QUOTE]
    A Chevy pickup box to match the axle should work reasonably simply. Or cowl steering might be easier yet.

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's nuts! Subd. Gary

29. CLM

CLM

Finally had another break in the weather. Got all of the house/yards chores done yesterday so I could get about 6 hours in on the speedster today.

Got everything stripped down and cut out the piece of firewall that I'm keeping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basic shape is tacked together. Looks like it is going to work out. You can see the pieces of the front windshield frame that I am going to use to start the shape of the grill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Proportions of the car will come together better when it gets lowered and the taller tires go on.

30. philo426

philo426

That is going to be so cool and unique!Who else would have the vision and courage to attempt such a thing?