Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 27 chop top coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piedmont, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Piedmont

Piedmont

Picked this little fella up yesterday and will be sharing the details of the build as it progresses. It is solid as a rock with an ok chop that I will need to tweek a bit. It is going on an model A frame with a Z in the back. More pics to come.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

beautiful!

Piedmont likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find! With the cowl cut up you may want to look for a 28-29 cowl and mess with everyone. Bob

4. Piedmont

Piedmont

I got a cowl with the car. Need to find the cowl vent cover but other than that she's cherry

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Will it have a OHV Hot Rod engine?

6. Piedmont

Piedmont

Searching the junk piles everyday. Love to find a nailhead or something cool. Flathead out of the budget at the moment

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Contact Quain Stott (here on the HAMB) who runs the Southeast Gassers over there, I'd bet he can give you some help.

8. Piedmont

Piedmont

Well been collecting parts and have a pair of split bones and I beam axle.My buddy Dave at Hot rods 101 in Woodruff SC has been cool and is letting me use his frame table to build a frame. Got the new cowl cut up and ready to go on and she will look like a 27 again.Not a ton of progress up till now but it takes time.The door tops will be next. I have a mint drivers side top but the passenger side will need to be made from nothing.More pics to come unless you want to see a pile of parts.

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

That'll make it a 1927-1/2.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Piedmont likes this.
  10. Piedmont

Piedmont

Been a slow run but I got the cowl welded on today.Cut the belt line off the top to give it a cleaner look.Got access to a frame table in 2 weeks so more progress to come.

Attached Files:

AndersF likes this.
  11. Cool, I'm building a 27 drag coupe. So I'm not planning on using my cowl vent. So if you need one, PM me, and you can have it. Ron...

Piedmont likes this.
  12. Piedmont

Piedmont

Cut the header panel out tonight.It works well with a 3 foot tall roof but not so good with a 1 foot tall roof. Need to brace it up but overall a huge impact as far as vision out of the cabin.

Attached Files:

13. Rand Man

Rand Man

I can't agree more. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to to it on my '29, but always interested in seeing another approach.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Piedmont likes this.
  14. Even on As the header panel is not to clever.
    The top of the windscreen,because of the frame,is about 1" lower than the top of the glass on the doors.
    I took 4" out of the roof,3" out of the windscreen frame and knocked up a new header panel 1" shallower than the original.Once glued back together the line of the glass was level all round.I think it looks sharper this way,IMHO.

Piedmont likes this.
  15. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm more interested in how you're going to reinforce that area and reinstall the windshield. I'll have to do mine differently, because my visor is already welded in and stuff. Also, I like Model T's.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Piedmont

Piedmont

Got the windsheild frame tacked up. Going to have to use the shrinker/strecher for the curve on the bottom.I used 1/2 angle for the frame top and sides.The angle gives the header stability for the top.Once it's all fitted I am going to tack it in permanent.It will be a fixed window and installed with window strip calk adhesive.It is kind of a strange way to do it but hey it works

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Piedmont likes this.
  18. Piedmont

Piedmont

Been a while progress has been a little slow. Got the back half of the frame mocked up and tacked up.Going to pinch the front from the firewall forward.Motor and trans mocked up for shits and giggles.I will also be taking out that trans tunnel 20161215_190554.jpg 20161215_192535.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and AndersF like this.
  19. Pete

Pete

Oh god, please HAMMER the roof!

20. Pete

Pete

Chop it hard. Aka hammer

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Very very very cool so far!!!!! Great build.

Piedmont likes this.
  22. Piedmont

Piedmont

Got a lot done over the long weekend. The frame is about complete and motor mounts in place.Put some Brookville frame horns on for looks.Scored a 9" cheap and will be cutting it down and respline the axles when I get the lenth dialed in on them.Going to locate the wishbone bracket next.

Attached Files:

23. Piedmont

Piedmont

A little more progress.Got the body located and started cutting up that goofy trans tunnel someone put in likely in the 70s.More parts rolling in every day. Its going to set much lower than in the pics.Time to get to work on the cowl bottoms next

Attached Files:

AndersF, Jet96 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. Piedmont

Piedmont

Some progress for tonight.For the 4 bar haters i;m sorry but I work at a hot rod parts house so I got this stuff much cheaper than an original spring.For the rest of you enjoy.

Attached Files:

25. Piedmont

Piedmont

OK got the body on for the first time and adjusted the ride height.Very happy with the way the ass end sits but need to come down a good bit in the front.Started on the steering but still have more work to get that the way I want.Enjoy

Attached Files:

26. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Well done it looking great. I really like your frame, as it has a hell of a kick in it going over that 9" and the way the body lines up with the rear tire.
    Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

J53 and Piedmont like this.
  27. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Yeah came out bloody nice! This is a great build to watch. Cheers for sharing, Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Piedmont

Piedmont

Thanks it is coming along nicely.Getting a lot of love from you guys across the pond.

29. AndersF

AndersF

Cool to follow another 27 coupe build.
    The stance seems to be about same as mine.
    [​IMG]