Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question About Buying an early 1930's Ford 4 Door Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Check out this beauty in Taft. This would make a great start. Just get it running nice as it sits, which should not be difficult at all, and you've got something you can take the family out in right away. Then start stripping it down and lowering it, changing the wheels/tires to get the stance, as the money becomes available. In between each modification you still have a functioning enjoyable rod.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/6050227311.html

clunker, GreaserJosh13 and cactus1 like this.
  2. That's a sweet heart there!
    Don't say nothing to the sellers about building a hot rod.

3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

That is pretty sweet. How much do you think it's worth. Is it worth the $10000.00 he's asking?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It kind of depends on how close it is to being a running useable car as it sits or how much work it will need to get it there. I think if it's a runner as it is, the price is not far off. I'd try to get it down to say $7500 if the seller is willing to negotiate. Or as posted above, you might walk away from it and let the seller stew on your offer for awhile.

Here's one to compare it ton looks to be a far better condition. But I like the first one due to it being a survivor. Still, this 2nd one would make a sweet starter:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/6054220736.html

GreaserJosh13 and clunker like this.
  5. Mikel50

Mikel50

On Boston&Providence Clist right now.
    It's a project but it looks to be all there.

*1930 Model A* Barn Find*Hot Rod* $5000
    http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/6021144130.html

Just posting to show they're out there ... but it's time and money no matter how you look at it.
    Two kids here as well, same reason as you fellas, I bought my sedan. I'm hoping it's done before they're both grown and off to college ... then I'll wonder why I didn't buy a roadster

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  6. Just for perspective,
    You could buy the one in Boston for 5-
    You would spend more than 5 on it get it close to the condition of the one in California for 10. The one in cali is a better use of both money and time.

Now look at the parts quality and value that's going to be headed back to after a sell off. Which spare parts off of either car look like they're going be an easier sale to make and bring in more money? The one in Cali again will have better return on both money and time.

Even though it's buy in price is more, the value is exponentially greater than the higher buy in price

7. $10,000-$15,000. $7+ when it's a really good deal. That seems to be the range for similar cars. That thing is a really clean survivor, and I love old stuff vs restored stuff so it would be worth it to me. I love that old black paint on an A....

But there's something about 70 or 80 hundred dollar bills fanned out like a winning poker hand that puts some sellers into a trance, (like that snake in Disney's Jungle Book). If I had the $ and I were out west, I might try either of the CA Fordors. I also like to work with what's available when I have the $, rather than wait, not the smartest strategy but That's how my brain works, life's too short to muck around.

It's all a fun mental exercise anyway, to hunt for a car.

8. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Well guys. I made a 2.5 hour drive up to Taft today & I came home with a 1931 Model A Fordor Briggs 165D. It starts/runs/drives & is registered. I've driven it twice today. Once around town in Taft & once around town where I live. I think I got a good deal on it considering the great condition it's in. Now that I have it I don't know if I can bring myself to take such a perfect original car apart & turn it into a hot rod. I guess I have all the time in the world to think about it right now. For now I'm just gonna figure out how to install seat belts & have fun driving it around town. Here's some pics of it on the trailer in Taft on my way home. Let me know what you guys think. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

clunker and exterminator like this.
  9. Yes drive it , make plans have fun.
    If you were doing this hot rod thing 60 years ago, that's how you would have started. With A decent 20 something year old car.

That little thing telling you to not take it apart,,,, don't listen to it unless you know you'll never finish it. Don't start until you have a plan and some parts.

10. exterminator

exterminator

I would drive it until I got tired of going slow, meanwhile buy a model a frame and build the frame up with the drivetrain and suspension of your choice and then install the body on the new frame. Less down time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  11. Awesome. I'm glad you got that one, it looks very cool. The survivor. I also like how you just went and did it, no f-ing around! Right on. When you get a chance post more pics!

12. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a real nice car. I'd have a tough time taking that all apart as well. Maybe some bolt-on type things like reverse spring eyes and 16" wire wheels. These cars really get moving with an overdrive too. But I wouldn't touch a thing all summer at the very least. Nothing wrong with a nice stocker like that.

13. Just make sure them mechanical brakes are in pristine working order

14. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Yeah. I figured 2.5 hours for a running drivable registered car isn't too bad. I paid $8400.00 for it. Don't know if I got a good deal or not, but he did negotiate with me. Funny story. After I got it on the trailer I forgot to close the fuel valve & when I got home it wouldn't start. I couldn't figure out what happened, but I ended up killing the battery trying to start it with no fuel. Ughhh. I finally figured out what I did wrong, put fuel in it & then had to pop the clutch to start it because I didn't want to jump it with a 12v battery/it's a positive ground system/didn't have a 6v battery charger. When I popped the clutch it fired right up & I drove it around a little bit to charge the battery. Went out thismorning to my garage & it fired right up again. This thing works great. I'm just gonna clean it up s bit & enjoy this summer or maybe even longer. Maybe I'll do what exterminator did & get a whole separate frame set up. I don't know. I guess I've got some thinking to do. Thanks for all the help & kind remarks guys.

15. Squablow

Squablow

That seems like a great deal I think, for one you can just jump in and drive. There are kits to convert the mechanical brakes to a full floater system which are supposed to be really easy to install and make the brakes that much better. Never tried it myself but I've heard great things about it, if you're not wanting to put hydraulics in it right away.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sweeeet! I think you got a great deal and a really nice car, congratulations!

I'd just enjoy it like it is for awhile too. Take your time and make some plans. Working with a separate chassis is a good idea, but keep in mind that everything you do short of chopping the top is reversible. If you pull the fenders and bumpers, set them aside and if you ever change your mind you can reinstall them. Reversing the spring eye and doing other chassis mods can all be undone with other stock spring. Upgrading the brakes won't really hurt the collectible value, like adding a 3-prong electrical cord to a vintage guitar amp. Safety trumps originality for items that are actually being used.

GreaserJosh13 and exterminator like this.
  17. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Agreed - we should have him mentor the guy looking for a '58 chevy..........umpteen pages and over a year of jerking off but still no car....

18. Nice Briggs y'have there. But who'd want a Fordor?

Here's mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GreaserJosh13 and clunker like this.
  19. trad27

trad27

. No one wants a damn four door... Jk here's my slant window, the early ford four doors are so classy looking. Congratulations, I seen that car for sale and was interested to take a look as I work in Taft, looks real clean, sounds like it went to a good home. IMG_20160715_150700597.jpg

GreaserJosh13, Blues4U and clunker like this.
  20. That's a very nice car. I would put a dropped axle and juice brakes on it, lower the rear a little and 16" wheels with big and littles and just drive it. Maybe some nice sealed beam headlights like Guide, BLC or King Bee. I did a hydraulic brake swap on my A using just parts I had laying around and the original brake pedal/service shaft and it worked very well. pretty much a bolt on. A's are so fun and easy to drive, and so simple to work on. Upgrade to a Mitchell, B engine with some speed goodies or even a V8 down the road if you need freeway cruising speeds...otherwise that A will always get you there at 50-55 MPH.

21. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thats looks like a nice beginning..i need to find one like that here on the east coast..In Pa
    have fun..!!!!

22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Congratulations on your find. I would enjoy it for a while but have no qualms about rodding it to your taste once you want to make some changes. Depending on their age get your youngsters involved, make it a family project. It will build memories that are priceless.

23. This was my coupe I had years ago. Stock engine,trans and rear. I eventually put a B engine in it with an adapter to use a flathead V8 trans and it went down the road very nice. Had a 4" dropped axle and a Model T spring in the back. Juice brakes and 16" wheels.

Don't take Much to make a full fendered A cool...

IMG_4960.JPG

24. Ha! That's RaginPin3Appl3's thread. He's exactly who I was thinking of. That IS one of my all-time favorite threads though, he's wishy washy then he keeps finding what he wants, but doesn't get over to see the car for 3 weeks, then it's gone. The tension drives me nuts, but at the same time I'm rooting for him. There's a bunch of others like it, but PineApples's is the best. He's got way more patience than I do....

Greaser John doesn't mess around. He knew what he wanted, he went and got it. It's well worth $8500, imho. Love it. Life's too short to muck around.

25. I'm surprised no one told you yet to change your oil, if you left the gas valve on like you said, then the fuel did not just disappear. Pull the dipstick and see if the oil level is way high and smells like gas. Won't be a runner for long if you drive it with diluted oil.

GreaserJosh13 and Squablow like this.
  26. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Oh Damn. Thanks Pocket Nick. I'm out of town for a couple days with the family. That will be the first thing I do. Ughhhhh!!!!! I'm glad I just drove it up & down the street & a few miles home before you told me this. I thought it just drained out through the carb & into the ground. Can you explain how the gas ended up in the oil. Now I'm curious & want to learn. Also I want to thank everyone again for all of your comments, suggestions, encouragement, & pictures of your cars. I hope you guys don't mind me asking a ton of questions, because I'm sure I'm gonna need a lot of help figuring all of this out. Also should I be starting another thread for those types of questions or just keep it flowing on here.
    Thanks
    Josh

27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Don't get too upset about the diluted oil, may be OK. The carb is updraft and the carb is the low point. The gas probably left a trail all the way home. BTW, nice sedan. Drive it around and get the feel of it. Do cosmetic changes as you like. It will be a fun car. Join MAFCA. Their information will be invaluable to you.

28. disregard my comment if its an updraft carb. My statement only applies to 4 bangers converted to down draft carbs like a stromberg or holley.

29. The dude who created this website created a sister website for people who dig purely stock Model A's. It's called "Fordbarn":

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

They talk 100% about working on their stockers, they aren't interested in tearing fenders off or lowering stances over there. That's where you'll find the best advice and info on your car right now. (Although most of those guys are posting from their tan 486 and modem somewhere, wonder why Ike hasn't given a State of the Union recently, and are pissed off that everyone is walking down the street watching "I love Lucy" on their "hand held tv" when Sputnik could fall from the sky and land on them at any moment. But they're cool and will be helpful.)

You can always hang out here, participate in conversations, learn about hot rodding your model A, it's a good social group. You don't necessarily need to own a car fitting their tight parameters, you just need to be interested in hot rods and stay "on topic" when you create threads. There's a lot of people that have hopped up their original 4 banger here, and some that run their mechanical brakes and have made basic hot rods. You probably straddle both worlds.

So If I were you, I would participate on both forums and concentrate "stock Model A" questions on ForBarn, and come over here to learn to modify your car, read jokes, talk shit and learn about hot rodding.

(Since you have this thread going you should keep posting pics and updates about your car. I'm interested. Since you've done exactly what I wanna do, I would like to see how it goes for you)

30. By the way Josh - mine sits on 18" wires at the moment, running 5.50 front, 6.50 rear.
    There's a T spring out back. Too soft really for a Fordor. Up front is a '32 axle and brakes.
    Ported Diamond B, decent cam, and a Thomas head.

Brilliant fun.