Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for 4 Banger boys! Period Correct rear axles, early rods 30s-early 40s??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Oct 27, 2007.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

what rear did you say you were running??

2. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

That's interesting. The only aftermarket racing axles that I've seen for the T rearend had the center section of the axle shafts thicker than stock. I don't remember what brand they were...maybe Frontenac.

3. phlip

phlip

It's an early model b, which is internally the same as an A.

4. Elrod,

Has anyone ever done a tech post "How To" on what you're talking about, or is it so simple that I should be ashamed for asking?

5. I spoke to Gary Bernard a few years back and I asked if they resplined when shortening the drive shaft for his F 100 trans conversion and he said that they cut the shaft and then drilled in each cut end in a lathe for a tight fit pin and welded them together the pin holding concentricity.

6. phlip

phlip

7. Elrod

Elrod

8. Great thread... I'm running 34 running gear in my A roadster. Front and rear axle, trans... I also just picked up this Fraklin I may use. Thanks for sharing pics and stories...

Attached Files:

9. I really screwed up Frankland... Franky!

10. Are you using the 34 brakes? I put a complete 33 front axle under my 29 RPU and decided to use 33 34 brakes. It was a bitch putting the rears on an "A" rear axle.
    Another thought on the rear axle. Back in the day of the $10 model "A" we very seldom lost a rear end. We would screw up axles shearing keys because the hubs would loosen up. We lunched a lot of transmissions though. One trick was to put your foot against the gear shift in low and use the hand throttle and push real hard on the gearshift and just tap the clutch, if it worked it was a neat shift. if it didn't, back to the junk yard for another $5 trans if you pulled it or $10 if they did. Doesn't sound like much but at $.35 cents an hour it was expensive. And gas at .22 or .23 a gallon, life was a bitch. I actually remember gas as cheap as .17 on south Gary in Pomona ca. Sorry to go off subject but.....

11. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey Bill sounds like you, me and dirt are about the same age
    piece of leather in the engine for a bearing would last a couple of days lottsa cheap expieriences on them old A's from the fifty's
    Ken

12. Holy shit,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are some real old guys on this site. I am 63 and I can't remember any of this crap. Of course we started racing in the mid-fifties so I guess I'm young to some.

LOL, have a good one