Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Your quote is similar to what my father always told me, you can see it in my byline! But he always told me to be that man! I always tried to be that man…..with success! I always enjoyed going into something I had never been in!

Bones

2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Don't just be a keyboard activist.

3. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

The Truth,
    is like a rock in a farmers field
    It will always rise to the surface

4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

"If it's got tits or tires you're gonna have trouble... so plan accordingly"!!! Sure wish I'd listened about 60 years ago!!

5. jnaki

jnaki

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”
    From the files of a former U.S. President…

Hello,

Sometimes it takes a kick in the pants, other times, it is just observing and learning how to cope with what is in front of you. As a teen, we seemed to know everything… Ha! But, dealing with some unknowns like relationships is a shot in the dark. We have all encountered situations that make us step back and wonder why. Other times, we push straight ahead and suffer the consequences of a no-prep form of adventure. Heading straight on into a relationship or new situation in life was a blow to the teenage psyche.
    upload_2023-10-20_3-2-18.png
    Physical things like building a hot rod was daunting. So many parts, so many steps, but two willing teenagers, fairly smart to begin a challenge we had never done before. But, when the steps are lined up on paper and the time it takes to do each item correctly without a time limit pressuring on your head, was the mode of the day for my brother and me.

We knew it would get done one day. The daily regime was set down on paper for our after school jobs. He went to work and I went to the backyard garage to read the list my brother had created for me to do while he was working to save money for more parts. The job list was short as per completing the level of the build. Since there was no rush, that allowed us to make sure it was done right.

Jnaki

Our step by step build was a change for me as well as my brother. Although since he was older, he had gone through that with his older friends. Helping them build their motors or various parts. But, since he left the maintenance jobs on “his” Oldsmobile to me, he knew I could handle it and it would get done right. So, that left him to explore and learn from his experiences.

My own friends were the same age, but had no interests in drag racing or hot rods until we all got to high school. Now, the new friends were from all over and had new ideas on what we all liked to do as teens. Some friends faded into the past. While, more new friends and experiences were the change we were all looking for in our vastly expanding lives.

As young as we all were, those experiences allowed us to make the right choices for the future. Although indirectly, we still had no idea which way our lives were going to go for the future. YRMV

6. jnaki

jnaki

"Experience: is that most brutal of teachers.” But you learn, boy, do you learn…”

Hello,

I used to hear this exaggerated quote most of my toddler to teen life. When I made mistakes, it was a learning experience. But when it was against all parental outlooks or an “aghast” moment, it surprised our mom and out came the “I am older and more experienced in all matters…” It was something that was always heard and started to get lodged into my young brain.

Well, for many years, I believed it to be true. Here I was a little kid having fun the way I wanted to have fun. I only learned of our mom’s young life when she decides to tell me a story about growing up. But, the word, “experienced” played true until we started to do different things than what our mom or dad used to do when they were little.

The whole world was beginning to get different than the 20s to the 50s. So, we were on a new path of “experiences.” Now, it was up to us to decide what to do and how it would affect us then. No one thought about how we would end up as adults. We have not even gone into the teenage years as yet. Even when that time period rolled around, it was still a fact that our mom’s experiences were still history and what she learned was about the same, except for the old days vs the modern 60s time period.

Jnaki

One thing we learned is that what we experienced was similar, but different and it was our mom’s way of trying to guide us to make better decisions while we approach our own family life and the future.

Was she wrong? At the time, yes, but now, many years later, it started the idea burned into our young minds and it was time for us to make those family decisions without bringing out the … we are more experienced than you… scenarios. We are glad we never used that on our son and his friends. We wanted them to make their own way in what they liked to do. So, the path was set, all they had to do was have fun growing up and learn the way we did.
    upload_2023-10-27_4-5-18.png
    Family and personal decisions did play a huge part from the learned lessons in high school and college. We have made the most of our simple lifestyle and are still learning to deal with our family’s changing future adventures. YRMV
    upload_2023-10-27_4-5-51.png

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

A competent person is incapable of jealousy, and A jealous person is incapable of competency.

Sharpone, Boneyard51, coneman and 2 others like this.
  8. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

9. jnaki

jnaki

“I LOVE FALL…”

upload_2023-11-3_2-56-0.png

Hello,

Well, for most, there have been plenty of hints of the cold winter season coming on like gangbusters, all over the USA. We have been getting unusual hints, out West, about what is to come this Winter on the Westcoast. Fog, lots of it and cold weather that comes with the invasion of the cold, moist air rolling in from the big blue ocean. Throughout summer, the fog still hangs around about 5-10 miles out in the ocean. The big banks of white to grey just sits there, waiting for its chance to move along in nature.

What is the ongoing battle with Mr. Heat and inland support is a constant battle all along the coast lines. When it is lower heat inland, the big fog bank moves inward toward the shoreline and finds the valleys to head deeper into land. But, when the heat still gets backed up by some low coastal hills, it fights back against the invading fog and starts the shoving back to the ocean.

If the land is cooler yet due to the winter season, then the fog may linger around for a while. The fall season is a great time for outdoor road trips when it is clear. No traffic or little less than summer. People are back at work and the teens/twenty folks are also in the college classrooms, staying off of the local roads and freeways. Freeways are relatively "free" again... Yes!

Jnaki

So, pick and choose your 7 day week with cooler weather, prior to the oncoming storms from the north/northwest. It will give all of us a window of a series of days for some excellent road trips and fall enjoyment on the fairly empty highways…
    upload_2023-11-3_2-58-46.png The beginnings... starting longer road trips in 1966

My wife and I have been those fall road trip folks for quite some time. We have some trees that are fooled into thinking Fall is here, but they do drop some leaves when it actually comes on like gangbusters. So, as minimal as the Fall season is compared to back East or the Midwest, we do have some distinct seasonal quirks… But, the saving grace is that the ocean is always blue and when we break out of our fog banks, the sky is also blue… and it gives everyone a better attitude towards of the drab winter season, all along the coast… YRMV

But, as the quote goes… “I Love Fall…” The sun starts moving South, the unusual darkness comes along if there is a giant fog bank sitting all around, but the time changes, and we start to “fall” back in our darkness/lightness all around. Somewhere down the line, daylight savings time will be thrown away and our local students will still have to stand around in the dark waiting for the busses.

The good thing is/was that the ocean swells start coming regularly from the North and West. That brings more surf along the coast line that normally does not get a banging around from the Southern Hemisphere swells/storms that come during most of the spring/summer seasons. Also, it allows early bird risers to be in the water at the crack of dawn after a few minutes of stretching and checking out the paddle out spots. At least, the “kids” are back in school and hardly anyone under 20 is paddling out with the “old guys…” ha! (Unless your local surf spot is taken over with the Varsity sports, high school surf teams all along the coastlines.)

The normal 20 plus guys/girls don’t arrive for a few more hours and that allows the old guys to catch some waves for a good session prior to the wave hogging crowds… yikes.

But, the sky is clearer and the sunsets are wonderful red/yellow and a blast of orange highlighting the fading crisp blue that we had seen all day. The smog is there, but almost non-existent. For us, the time is for cutting back on our watering cycle for our plants and whole yards. The only thing is less traffic due to the teachers, faculty staff and students that drive are all back in school, so the freeways are now FREE-ways, as it should be… yippee!

Note:

As the current fire in the inland portions of San Diego county persists, the smoke is headed out to the ocean. The sad thing is the fire ravaging the country side and is very destructive. But, the good thing is the sky is a slight darker color in contrast to the blue sky. That darker color gives off the exaggerated color palette when the darker, bright red, setting sun starts its decent into the ocean. “Dark, red skies at night, is a sailor’s delight.” To paraphrase an old sailing quote…

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. A Dale Inman (Richard Petty's cousin and an 8 time championship winning crew chief) quote on viceroy lane burnouts.

You don't see the winner of the Kentucy Derby get off his horse and start beating the shit out of it!

Sharpone, Boneyard51, coneman and 9 others like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

“Often seeking some sort of redemption in the endless pursuit for a truth that we will never find.”

Hello,

We have come a long way from our exploratory ways of being a teenager with the whole world ahead of us. There were so many directions that we were accustomed to seeing in our own parents and our friend’s parents. The older brothers and sisters also had some specifics that we liked as a way to proceed with our young lives. So, after all of these starters, did we move in the right direction? Did we achieve goals set out for us by our parents and friends?

As a conscientious teenager we wanted to do the right thing for our future. In learning about relationships, our new discoveries, our extra activities that we enjoyed doing from sports to enjoying the warm California sun, etc. They were all part of growing up. The different things that happened to us along the way was how it always was supposed to go. If there was a huge map and list of people’s lives to the future, ours was already set in stone. We can now look back and wonder if we did the right thing along the way.

But, it was already there, we just needed to fill in the gaps and struggle. We all had some roadblocks and by being able to adjust to those roadblocks, were able to get to the other side. Did we make the right decisions? Even if no one was there to guide us, our lives ended up where they were supposed to go in the future.

Jnaki

My wife and I were typical So Cal teenagers wandering around in a daze like most teenagers. At the time we thought everything was affecting us in a way we liked and did not like how our simple teenage lives were heading. In the back or our brains we always heard, you are going to college. So, that was a silent goal burned into our growing brains.

Along the way what we thought was important, barely scratched the surface as older 20 somethings and into the developing 30s. But, don’t look away at our own history. That is how we all developed and adjusted to the effects of our surroundings, everywhere. How we learned is how we were able to adjust to the trials blasted at everyone from the surroundings.
    upload_2023-11-10_5-12-38.png
    Not everyone liked surfing, and there were only a few of us that actually surfed continuously throughout high school, despite the stigma attached to us. The goals of our enjoyment did not affect us in the eyes of most as they had their own trails to follow. It was something we learned to develop in way to cope with the outside influences affecting our daily lives. We weren’t all hot rod/drag race people, it just was a part of our developing lives and ways to deal with situations for growth. One door closes and another one opens up for more explorations.
    upload_2023-11-10_5-13-25.png
    So, live the life you have, adjust to those meaningless things that get tossed everyone’s way from the media influences. Make your own choices to get along in our society without too many scrapes and bruises. Adapt and make your changes to get along… following the rules as a means of some guidance...YRMV

Your life... it is there and will be there in the future, too.

13. verde742

verde742

IF YOU MARRY FOR MONEY ,,,, YOU WILL EARN EVERY CENT.....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Or. Don't marry for money ,just be sure to love where the money is !
    Idealistic vs. Realistic .

15. Find a girl with small hands.......it make your dick look bigger!

16. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Get a small girl cause they always get bigger and get a bigger garage Cause they always get smaller.

Sharpone, coneman, mohr hp and 8 others like this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

truth

Sharpone and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. verde742

verde742

IF I had been "a bottle baby," It would have made MY adult life a lot smoother, I think,
    ...looking back, '

Why are there more horses' ass than there are horses?

19. outagas1961

outagas1961

"never argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ."

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

When someome complains to me about something they bought is not working right I first ask "Did you read the instructions"? The answer I usually get is "No".

Sharpone, coneman, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

Fifty years ago my dad bought a garage door. When we opened the box, laying right on top of the contents was a packet marked, "When all else fails, read the instructions."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rings a bell from my early years building model cars.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey Dave,
    I got that same rep as a young man. At 20, I was working as a mechanic fir the city. I got a call just before quitting time on an old 1950 model winch truck that had quit running on the other side of town. I drove out there and quickly found that the little springing thing in the center of the rotor cap on that Flathead had broken off. I looked around on the ground and found a pice of wire and wired it on to the contact and pointed it to the center and fired off that old Flathead. They drove it back to the shop! The next day it was all over the city that the new kid fixed a truck with junk off the street!

Bones

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Come on, admit it, I bet you have this book!
    upload_2023-11-16_11-4-40.png

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Nope! This happened way before MacGyver! Lol 52 years ago, to be exact!

Bones

chryslerfan55 and Sharpone like this.