Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tim troutman

tim troutman

"no doubt about I gotta get another hat" Bullwinkle

2. "Eenie, meenie, chili beanie... the spirits are about to speak."

Bill's Auto Works and Sharpone like this.
  3. tim troutman

tim troutman

Mark Twain did not say "no amount of evidence will ever pursued an idiot" but still a good quote

Sharpone likes this.
  4. tim troutman

tim troutman

"Eenie, meenie, chili beanie... the spirits are about to speak." I said this to my wife & she said " Are you going in the bathroom ? "

down-the-road and Sharpone like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

“The more students read,
    The more words they know.
    The more words they know,
    The better they will be
    In being smart and knowledgeable…”

Hello,

Spring Break week is just starting for some. The local public schools are at the end of the “Easter Vacation or “Spring Break.” We grew up in the Easter Vacation mode, but over the years, that had too much political implications, so Spring Break is a neutral show, not offending anyone.
    upload_2024-4-5_2-52-41.jpeg
    But, the emphasis is education in all forms. The daily routine is important to learn and retain the information. We complained at the time, but years later, we all learned, that without history, there is no tomorrow. So, as teens we learned what we wanted to learn, but, the emphasis was on the fun part, hot rods, surfing and camping road trips as well as exploring the great outdoors.

As we got older, now, the choices were there and we had to learn to make those “right moves” to get us where we wanted to go or at least gave it some thought as to what we actually wanted to do with our future lives.

Jnaki
    upload_2024-4-5_2-51-16.png
    Some made it through those tough “Semi-adult” lives with a direction of some sorts. Others were and are still learning at their rate of understanding and are moving along. Sometimes those choices were made for us and other times, we had a big say in what we wanted to do.

Every parent has high goals for their children. Whether or not they become what they want to be is up to them. We are all there to guide them as much as possible and hope for the best. But, support for our schools is the first step in getting the “kids” on the right track. The more they know, the more they can become… YRMV

Note: I am an avid reader. I get my hands on tons of reading material, novels, short stories, etc. But, articles and text books are still not my thing. It took some doing, but somehow I got on the right track, plus, moved along in life and family.

Sharpone and sidewayzz69 like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

“And though time slips away, it can never replace
    How you’ll always be here in this heart of me
    Lucy and Linus and Charlie Brown
    Oh how Snoopy he never made a sound
    Oh, that is true
    You remember me like I
    How we laughed in the face of danger
    Tonto and Lone Ranger
    There were no mountains we could not climb
    We soared like eagles cross the sky…”
    “You remember me like I remember you
    Like I remember you..”

Brian McKnight

Hello,

Sitting around with plenty of time on our hands, one looks back a few years to remember how we got together, pursued our life when all of society was going crazy at the time. The hectic college classes were getting blurry as seniors, since we could see the end coming fast. So, we just happily moved along at our own speed, having daily lunch breaks in the Belmont Shore Alamitos Bay Harbor side. We always sat in front of a 80 foot long cabin cruiser and dreamed of life after college, while going somewhere on the ocean in this huge boat.

It is difficult to see how we coped with the situations when they arrived and how we dealt with them. The other times we walked around the Los Angeles/Hollywood area for concerts and shopping. But as we saw huge gatherings, it showed us that it was not our thing. So, all we wanted to do, as newly college graduated 20 somethings was to be left alone and have fun growing up. The low key beach lifestyle was eons removed from that scene and it worked for us.

Our lives were rolling along smoothly until some catastrophe somewhere in the USA or world forced everyone to look at their lives and adapt to the changes coming down the road. Some changes were good, others did not affect us as much. There was no need to get worked up over nothing... We still evaluate things that have gone public over time. It was/is not our way to see our simple lives.
    upload_2024-4-12_4-31-20.png

Jnaki

Through the old saying my wife’s mom used to say was “You can stand it through thick and thin…” My mom’s saying was “endure” and that we did and were able to adapt to the strange things going on during those times. We lived to tell about it many years and generations later. Hopefully our son and even our granddaughter can see us as fresh college kids just like their time in school. But, the lives back then were a little different in history. YRMV

Sharpone likes this.
  7. I don’t know if it is a quote to live by but it is a good quote from my buddy Dan-

I don’t want to see a car that is half a spaceship welded to an outhouse with a bared wire steering wheel and and elephant head sticking out of the side!

8. Slopok

Slopok

I told myself, Jake, don't feel so bad things could be worse, so I didn't feel so bad and sure enough, things got worse! :(

GuyW, Bill's Auto Works and Sharpone like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

“Finally, I am coming to the conclusion that my highest ambition is to be what I already am.”

Hello,

When we were teens, we wanted to be sports stars. A tight end or wide receiver in football, a shooting guard in basketball and a shortstop in baseball. As little kids, competition was there, but it was simple to get better and play every season for more experience. As elementary school kids, we did all sports throughout the year in our PE section of the classes. In junior high school, there were the sports teams set up to compete against other local junior high school teams from across Long Beach on Saturdays.

Finally, the realization came to light in high school. There were other kids doing the same thing and they were taller, larger, stronger and could swat a basketball out of the air after you got off a shot… what? That curve ball that could be timed to make a hit into the field was now a fastball curve that not only curved, but dropped at what seemed like record speed by the larger players. So, what was left to do?

At least I could still play football and knock the crap out of the defensive player, and then, make a touchdown catch, all in competition. But, I also learned to surf and surf well. So, there was a back up sport activity.

Jnaki

In college, the size, skill and huge barrier was there in gobs and one had to see the light for a future. But, a short drive away was a calm activity that could be used to further one’s goals in life.
    upload_2024-4-19_3-30-29.png
    So, the last years of college allowed me to meet someone that would enjoy a lifetime together in low key simple life of enjoying each other's company. It was time well spent doing things we liked and not worry about making tons of money as some of our other friends had as a major goal. We just moved along watching the sunsets and enjoying a nice dinner together, along with our small doggy.
    upload_2024-4-19_3-32-28.png
    The future came fast, as it seemed to knock on our door and in no time, here we are retired and enjoying life to the extremes at this “older, but wiser” stage. So, what about the ambition from the high school years? The college years started to straighten our the focus and allowed us to see what was important. Not necessarily a job or planned future, but enjoying what life had to offer us being together through those times when we just sat back and laughed at the world’s hectic scene.

Being together in mind and spirit has made life easy and simple for us. It was what we thought would happen, but the important thing was the person who was always sitting next to me in a car or across the table smiling. Happiness is the key to finding ones goals and future. YRMV

Sharpone likes this.
  10. Life is like a roll of toilet paper...... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Don't make fun of your wife's choices. You were one of them.

'28phonebooth, GuyW, Sharpone and 4 others like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better a man speak truth strongly than lies softly.

- me

X-cpe, Sharpone and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

“The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches
    you shave his face in the mirror every morning,”

Hello,

My wife told me this one day last year. I wrote it down and just found it. Digital files can be labeled anything, but if you can’t remember the title, it is useless. I drew a 40 Ford truck and saved it to my files. You would think it was labeled 40 Ford truck. All drawings are labeled with a two year title, so I know what year is the car, truck, sedan delivery, station wagon, or whatnot. But, I have changed the complete file twice and each time, something goes missing when I save the whole file.

I will find that 40 Ford truck one day as I constantly go through my old files and delete stuff I no longer need or use. Space is not a problem with 5 TB hard drives, but why have duplicates I will never use again?

Jnaki

Ever since we got together while still in college, my wife has told me that old saying. “The guy you see in the mirror is “the” person you have to watch out for in daily activities. Luckily, you don’t have to shave everyday!” As she chuckled from across the table…
    upload_2024-4-26_4-59-25.png
    All of this time since those 20 something days, almost every guy we see these days has a 10 day or older “beard + mustache, on TV or locally. So, I will be easy to pick out for identification if necessary… “check out the guy without any facial hair or beard growth.” Ha! At least I still have my electric shaver since the days our son went to high school… Yowza!

The guy in the mirror has been a good person all of his life… ha, that is me, alright! I certainly don’t keep the shaving industry in gold all of these years, that is for sure.

Sharpone likes this.
  14. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

"Do you want to speak with the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on?"

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"Ain't we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain't that a big enough majority in any town?" - Mark Twain

X-cpe and Sharpone like this.
  16. Sharpone

Sharpone

“If you don’t know who quoted it - say it’s a Mark Twain quote ” a friend of mine says. Works most of time says me. lol
    Dan

X-cpe likes this.