Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing a couple head stud from 8ba block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fernando Covarrubias, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Hello I’m working on a design for a Flathead 8ba and I have a question if anyone has ever ran one with a couple head studs missing. Below I have attached a picture of the studs I need to remove in order for the design to work. IMG_2466.jpeg

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enquiring minds would like to know why. I believe these studs go directly into the water jacket. I would vote no to removing any studs at all let alone 4.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  3. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Curious about this design and why it needs the space where studs go...

4. BJR

BJR

Now way it will not leak. With all the stock studs it's hard to stop all the head bolts to stop leaking,

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

How are you going to replace the clamping force those studs provide on the head gasket to seal the cylinders and the water passages?

clem likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This precisely why Ford went to the 24 stud block from the 21 stud earlier design.

Not a very good idea, in my opinion.

clem likes this.
  7. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Deleting the studs from those locations will be a big mistake. Too much clamping force lost in a critical location.

clem likes this.
  8. So if I remove that stud I have a space of about 3.6 inches between them now which many people say there not enough clamping force between them now But in a Ardun head there is about 4.6 inches between studs on the top of the cylinder where the fluid flowed in and out in original heads. I gotta do some calculations I’ll post what I find out after in case anyone is curious on the outcome

9. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Im sorry but it does not bode well if you are designing an engine and have to ask questions like this.

RodStRace and tubman like this.
  10. clem

clem

Never seen a head bolted down with a stud or bolt missing.

you mentioned a couple, but actually show 4 that you want removed.

In theory, if the head was made of a material that was thick enough and strong enough to span between the two remaining bolts there would be no problem, provided that the bolt was strong enough and that the thread and surrounding material could sustain the required pressure, all within the required temperature fluctuations, you should be good to go………..

Maybe, — keep in mind that Mr Ford wasn’t known for over designing his cars, more like design it to a bare minimum and then patch up things from there as required……..or at least that’s how I see it……..

Boryca and Baumi like this.
  11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha, truer words have never been spoken:D

clem likes this.
  12. Oneball

Oneball

An Arden OHV head is about 4 times thicker than the standard flathead one.

X-cpe likes this.
  13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Not being familiar with the Ardun heads, I would be very hesitant to do that without some expert advice from someone who has done that conversion. The bolts you have marked in the picture are famous for cracking between the bolt holes and the water passage, if that has anything to consider. I seem to remember seeing special head gaskets for this conversion. Info on that might help. Have you posted this on the Ford Barn site? There is a link on this site to take you there. You would want to ask your question in the early V8 section of the discussion forum. There are folks there who have Ardun engines.

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just make some of these. Include the quick head studs too!
    (this is sarcasm, in case you don't get it)
    [​IMG]