Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverse Vega Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sweet & Low, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Have any of you guy's reversed a Vega steering box, if so can you provide some instructions? I want to do a drag link type steering in a Model A with front fenders.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Doing the reverse would be pretty similar, but there are much better boxes out there than a reversed Vega. First off, if memory serves correct, the pitman arm points upward when reversed, which sucks for steering geometry, and is damn near a guarantee of bump steer to some degree. Second, mounting becomes a sucky kind thing requiring a plate off the inside of the rails in exactly the right position to make stuff work. VERY ungainly looking. Why not go for a Ford F-1 box, or even the previously mentioned reversed Corvair?

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I'd agree with that assessment, I was originally going to do the reversed Vega thing and then when I saw how I would have to mount it and the orientation of the pitman arm I found it better and easier to go to the reversed Corvair box.
    And, you can buy one already reversed from Flaming River.

5. A Boner

A Boner

When a Vega box is reversed, it's pitman arm orientation ends up just like a reversed Corvair box....pointing down!

The only difference is that you have to "make room" for a u-joint to be able to clamp on to the sector shaft, as otherwise the shaft will be too short. To make that room, machine off the "big nut" on the end cap" so the shaft can stick out more. Then drill 2 holes in the end of the cap for a spanner wrench to now tighten the end cap. Look at a Vega box, and it will all make sense.

Are you going to cut a slot in the splash apron for the pitman arm?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014