Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Roll Bars - What's The Best Look?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CoolYourJets, Mar 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

I've got a '28 roadster that I've been upgrading for safety - Brakes, Steering, Belts, etc. I'm considering a roll bar. Anyone have any favorite images you can share? How about height?
    Maybe this?
    [​IMG]
    Or this?
    [​IMG]
    But probably not this:
    [​IMG]

I know sometimes they did them with round roll bars in the dirt-track races to make them flip right back on their feet.

loudbang likes this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm not sure how useful a roll bar that doesn't come up near the top of your head actually is. The last pic of the Square Bar car is probably the most functional of the three you posted and is on a period "East Coast stlye" (edit: I see it's a MO car now) car that seems to have raced.

Mine come just a little over the top of my head when I sit in the car. They're vintage and came out of a Model A that ran around the Cape years ago, as I was told.

[​IMG]

3. If it isn't at least two inches above your head, it won't protect you.AND it should be braced by diagonals facing the front and rear of the car. Only two braces need be visible. Will it be permanent or a bolt in? Do you plan to race? A too low bar is only for looks, will not neek your neck intact...or worse.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tricky to do one that actually works and still looks good. In fact, on a street car - no way... But if safety isn't your number one concern, these rule:

0e875ec039674c574ac82e998cb7f69e.jpg

Bob-hamke-1927-ford-roadster-bonneville.jpg

Vic Walter, Jet96, hipster and 5 others like this.

5. Fellow Hamber seadog installed a roll bar on his new roadster,I'll let him post the photo. HRP

hipster likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm concerned with looks too but those short roll bars are about as effective as a $10 helmet.

7. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

IMG_5376.jpg I've always liked this one...

EVL401, Vic Walter, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Agreed... but they look cool.

I think if you are doing a street car, don't do a roll bar... or do one that's for aesthetic purposes. If you are doing a race car, forget aesthetics and do one that works. If it's a dual purpose car, do a bolt-in.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

mad mikey likes this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Some of those are less roll bar, more torso preserver. They look cool though.

11. RmK57

RmK57

Roll bars are meant to be used as part of a package, helmet, 5 point harness and the roll bar.
    I case of an accident, roll over or otherwise banging your head into 1 3/4" steel tube at 40 mph
    without a helmet would probably kill you.

Blues4U, Maicobreako, hipster and 4 others like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

33-34's allow a functional roll bar for the street, earlier models make it more difficult. I did this one years ago, it was cross braced, the hoop dropped in place and was through bolted. P1010052.JPG

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a fan of them, unless they are real, properly designed, and out-of-range of a head strike.

Otherwise, you risk more harm than good, be that directly, or indirectly, via raising the sense of security, falsely.

If you have a helmet, HANS device and a 5-point harness, having a bar near your head is fine. If not, it can kill you, or worse.

Ned Ludd, Blues4U, hipster and 3 others like this.
  14. oldolds

oldolds

A roll bar for looks might be more unsafe than no roll bar. If you are doing it for safety look at some basic design info that NHRA recommends. They are among the best when it comes to safety.

hipster, jackalope and AHotRod like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A couple more Marty

20170324_132142.jpg 20170324_131919.jpg

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I built my roll bar to keep from being squished by the body edge in a slow roll.
    More than that, highway speeds for example, and its pretty much useless.
    Gives you something to grab climbing in and out though! LoL
    I used a 70's Landcruiser main hoop to get the big, old style bend radius I wanted and worked from that.
    I'm toying with the thought of putting a forward diagonal into the passenger footwell from just off center of the bar. I like the look of that...but it will definately be intrusive.
    I'll drive her for another summer as is and ponder the idea...:D
    13516553_10153515192502391_1326090296215893116_n.jpg

patmanta, loudbang, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  17. Those "roll bars" aren't. But I'm more than reasonably certain they as some rigidity and they sure look cool

18. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Ok, great idea @oldolds. Will do.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  19. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

That looks great @patmanta. Exactly what I was thinking.

patmanta likes this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

Can't believe I actually passed tech with this in the 70s. I wouldn't consider running it today.

patmanta, loudbang, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  21. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Here are a couple that I found on the drag roadster thread that I liked. If you had down bars in the back and door bars how far off of passing tech on a slowish car would they be? 17.jpg Capture.JPG

EVL401, Kiwi 4d, Lil'Alb and 4 others like this.
  22. Toqwik

Toqwik

I think this is a great post. One of my concerns when I built my coupster was roll over and more important side impact. My plan was to build a 4 point setup to protect body and legs. 2 points behind me and 2 at the cowl. My plan to make it look appealing was to use a Miata type double hoop bar. Agreed it will probably cause more damage if you are not properly secured in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod likes this.
  23. evintho

evintho

Not NHRA approved and I don't know how much protection it'll provide but..............it looks cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I built my coupe, I had the bars for a 4 point roll cage tacked in. They fit tight up against the roof, all the way around. While getting in and out of the car during the build process, I hit my head on the stupid roll cage 3 different times. Just a bump with the cage hurt the old noggin a bunch (and they say I'm pretty hard headed)! The entire cage came out of the car.

I'm not going to put on a helmet, and a racing harness (the shoulder and lap belt works just fine) every time my wife and I want to go get an Ice Cream Cone, and for sure she wouldn't go for the helmet or the racing harness either. Gene

25. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Love the look let's bring back the roll bar into hot rodding.

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  26. If you put in one of those roll bars thats too low offering no protection dont stop there. Hang a fake moon tank on the front along with a don garlits fake injector carb cover. While you are at it put a parachute on the back. Driving fake posser drag cars is all the rage these days. Im sure no one will make jokes or laugh.

27. PRB

PRB
    from Az

I look at it this way....a Hot Rod is safer than a motorcycle...good to go.

jaygryph and staleg like this.
  28. verde742

verde742

And God how I hated it,
    Ol' man that owned it probably insisted,!! felt safer?
    loved the car, 'cept for roll bar....

loudbang likes this.
  29. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

He made the effort to install a roll bar but should really consider a helmet strap. But a great pic none the less.
    As far as the hitting your head on the bar, I've seen were guys have padded them and covered to match interior with a zipper so it can be removed like on Jeeps. Probably not the coolest looking but functional.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app