Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Whats your opinion Rik, chopped business coupe or chopped long door ...I am leaning towards business coupe at this point because I think I could get a longer slope on the rear window.... and with all the welding and cutting going on it wont be that much for work!

2. Rikster

Rikster

I have always loved the long doors. I think they give better proportions when the top gets chopped. This does not mean the short door coupe cant look good.. they can. But the longer doors add to the visual longer lower and lines everybody is looking for when building a chopped custom.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Got a few pics you could add to the thread of some of your favorites if ya got time ?

4. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41... but the top is basically the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mentioned by you... The Sam Foose Ford... one of my favorites as well. This chop is a little more "conservative" than the previous shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Really nice proportions on this one I already have the motorcycle style tail lights for mine, and the 49 Plymouth bumpers as well:cool:

6. chris55

chris55

Steve,

This one has been clipped from the firewall forward with an S10 clip, it has 2" drop spindles. It has a 10 bolt on de-arched parallel leafs and 3" blocks in the rear.
    [​IMG]

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

A few pics of todays butchery :D[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Sorry for the huge pics...I broke the lcd screen on my camera at the Gene Winfield workshop a couple of weeks ago and cant tell what setting is being used I will try and re-size them...anyways the amputation was a success ! Got 3 helpers and it was off in less than a minute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha not much left eh! I decided to clean a bit of the roof to see how bad the surface rust was,,had to clean it good first with a 3M strip disc on the drill, then I gave to good scrubings with phosphoric acid...came out pretty good, I am gonna sandblast as much of the carcass as I can before it gets welded to the sedan body...looks like I will only have to spot blast a bit of the roof skin .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. joel torres

joel torres

steve you are nuts when you coming to my house to move in lol heck il move up there i allready have a Siberian husky just need the sled for winter

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

wow!
    Again.. You are a wild man.
    Can't wait to see your stuff.
    I worked for hours today on my stuff and have nothing impressive enough to show.
    Amazing how good that roof section came out.
    Out of curiousity.. ever try anything other than blasting? Evapo-Rust bath? Molasses dip?
    Maybe you and I have had this conversation before. If so.. sorry. gettin old.

12. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

Nice seeing you save one of the good ones; I f'n love those cars...

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have tried vinegar on smaller stuff...my biggest problem is I dont usually have the time to take the time to set up something new if that makes any sense ? I am gonna get some evapo rust for all the fastners and small pieces I can salvage for re-use...I would love to try and molases dip it but by the time I build a tank get it filled and try to soak it for as long as it takes I will already have it blasted and primed , welded on and chopped lol! I guess what I am saying is I am a little impatient at times :rolleyes: Other than the hour or so it took to clean it with the disc it didnt take long I did a quick clean first and tried the phospo 1st and it didnt seek to do much , when I washed it off I could see how much factory red primer was actually still on there! Believe it or not there is still alot of primer in with all that surface rust, to once it was all gone the phoso did a nice job. Put it on really wet and scrub with a stainless scuff pad and or brush and or/ let it sit for a while but you have to keep it wet, then wipe it off then washed with hot soapy water and dry it off , I will do the rest of the roof like this to avoid takin a chance blasting anywhere there is a chance of warping it.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha its not that cold here....my igloo has already melted for the summer :D

15. I thought my 39 Merc was a rusty piece of sh.t, but when i look at your project i think i don't have to complain anymore.
    Very nice work that has already been taken care off :cool:

Hennie from Holland

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Yes, setup time can be a pain. I guess when you have mad skills and high-speed energy, having that much patience isn't needed. ;) The old metal I ever find here couldn't take blasting. You must find better metal there.

Maybe keeping the stuff in your igloo helps preserve it! ;)
    Or is it the whale blubber you wipe over the metal after?
    I'd hitch up the dog-team today but it was 16C (61F) yesterday so the ice-flow melted.
    Sorry joel torres.... just funnin with ya.

You'll be pleased with soaking those fasteners in the Evapo-Rust. I wish I had shares in the company. By the way... you won't have to neutralize it like vinegar.

How about inside the panels? if you can't blast there what will you do?
    That's where setting up a "shower" with the Evapo-Rust would do well.
    The slide-show on www.safestrustremover.com gives a good idea how they do it with a pump and tarp to catch and reuse the juice.

Man, you must go through a ton of welding wire.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man, you must go through a ton of welding wire.

Lol I usually kinda keep track, makes for a good laugh when the project is done....I am around 20 lbs on this one so far ! . I would love to experiment with the evaporust but man it would cost a few $ to have enough of it constant flow of it going? Have you put some thought into it or done it yet?

18. fitzee

fitzee

So I not the only fool that see something in a rusted out car. Loving this post. I done similar builds over the years,some around here think I`m nuts.Wait till I tell them about another nut doing the same shit!!lol

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Steve.. You just place a tarp under to catch the run-off into a small bucket with a pump stuck in it.
    3 or 4 litres goes a long way. Setting up the shower head to direct the flow is a pain. And boy is that shower head clear after that! But don't expect the missus to be happy about using her fancy shower head. ;)
    It's 9 bucks or so at Crappy Tire or Homely Hardware. I haven't seen it in larger containers around these parts. I'd love to get a bigger pale of that and also 20 litre pales of molasses (non-food grade is great) at a good price.

I've done a couple things but not for my "T". I'm a long way away from that stage yet. I don't have the energy that you seem to have. I could blame it on my back but I think I'm just plain lazy.

Fitzee.. "nuts" isn't a word I'd use for you, Steve or Dammit. Talented and brave are words that come to mind.

20. joel torres

joel torres

21. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ya.. around this part of the world Evapo-Rust is a direct work alike.
    Freakin cool stuff.
    No supplier of Safest Rust Remover here. I contacted the company and they were very interested in me taking it on as a franchise but once I found Evapo-Rust was around here and the "same" type of stuff I just dropped it. Both good products.

22. rustyhood

rustyhood

koolkemp I am lovin this thread! just stopped by to see your progress and dude you are a truckin right along. Again I have to express, awesome work you are doing!
    Man you are crankin! Keep it up because its lookin great!

23. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

awesome work. i will be watchin this thread

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That is really going to be bitchin with the Monarch front end.

Very cool, and good for you for tackling the seemingly impossible!!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks again guys ! Its been really surprising to me how motivating all the positive comments are :) There wont be much in the way of updates for prolly a couple of weeks...gonna be away all next week for a coarse for work :( but when I get back I am gonna try and get the roof swap started asap and I will take lotsa pics...then its chop time!!

26. english rob

english rob

That's dedication I had never seen rust like you get here in Nova Scotia. Been living in Cape Breton for a couple of years now. keep up the work its looking good Rob

27. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Great job and awesome fabrication work! I am glad to see you rescuing the ole' rusty girl. I love what you are going to do with the roof and doors. Keep it up and keep us updated. Have a good trip.

SpeedAddict001

28. mace69

mace69
    from mass

DUDE!!!! You Rock, I just started my own rust-eration on my '50 shoebox and am incredibly inspired. Good luck, I'll be watching and learning!

29. Rikster

Rikster

Steve,

I asked the guy who owns the Barris Anne DeValle 1942 Ford Coupe about the chop. He also built a clone of the car before he owned the real thing. So he knows exactly how much it is chopped.

It is chopped 5,5 inches in the front and 7 inches in the back. Heavy, but it sure looks GOOOD!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

Make sure you drop in if you ever make it up this way ! I am just up the 101 about 40 mins from Halifax!