Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling My Car Long Distance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, May 12, 2010.

1. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

geeezzsse Lousiezzee.......too much drama here....
    Oh and a damn bank wire transfer wouldnt have been anywhere near this complicated

2. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

I sold my old truck to a guy out in California- He sent me a cashiers check for the full amount and I waited for it to clear before the truck was picked up for shipping. As soon as everything cleared I overnighted him the title for the truck (signing the title and putting it in the glove box isn't a great idea) and it was a done deal. Wire transfer would've done the job just as well.
    Using paypal for a down payment is one thing- I've done that with no issues. But I'd never send the full amount- way too easy to get bent over on the deal that way. Not so say it won't work out for you, but I've been screwed over in the past by people I've considered good friends or nice guys. Cash is king.

Either way, good luck with it.

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I came on here a few moths ago about selling overseas, you get great advice here. use Paypal for deposit ONLY....wire the balance to your account,
    bull shit he doesnt know how to do it, is he 5??????
    Then overnight the title. Done

4. gsport

gsport

i once sold a car to a guy in New Zealand.... i opened up an account at the bank just for this transaction.. he had his bank wire money to that account and as soon as it came in i took it all out and put into my own personal accout, then he got the car and title...

5. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Surely you mean
    Tourette syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome

6. ok so heres what I did, called paypal..refunded him the large amount and kept the $500 deposit in my paypal and now he's going to wire me the money and I'll over night the bill of sale & title

7. durrett syndrome

durrett syndrome

ha durrett is my last name

8. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Now wasnt that nice and easy and makes you feel better. And you didnt get fucked by Pay Pay for their fees. Good Luck.

9. yep I feel much safer about everything now, didnt sleep good last night worrying what could happen...this should go nice and smooth now, thanks so much for everyones help!

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

In today's world, I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over a car deal. I get my money, in my meathooks, in cash, or trade BEFORE he gets the title or any bill of sale. I'll have nothing to do with the delivery except to allow whoever is picking it up access. I believe the term is "As is, where is, cash on the barrellhead son"........

11. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

If he had the $$$$ in paypal, then he had the $$$$ to wire transfer to you all along. It would of been easier to do that in the first place! A WHOLE lotta phone tag and sleepless nights for nothing. I hope everything goes alright now!

12. durrett syndrome

durrett syndrome

I had the $ in my account and moved it to paypal because it seemed fine, atleast to a legit person like myself...he refunded me the $ which I get in a few days and I wired him the $ from my account. Now everything is fine but I have a ? For yall...let's say I wired a person $ and they never sent the car. I have no bill of sale, no title, no car, and a lot of $ in a persons account I can't reverse. What do yall do about that? Just curious bc I've never purchased a car until now with either paypal or wired. Thanks a lot.

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You're not an official member until you fork over $50 to support the Alliance. You're just a FNG that created a username and password. You could be sitting in Nigeria for all we know. Good luck getting your discount.

14. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

yea ive been browsing here forever just never registered. I just finally registered so I could take advantage of Ricks shipping discount given to the HAMB members.

Am I wrong or is this guy a retard..... joins only for the discounts..... fuckin FNG and not a very smart one at that.

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

That smells, I would get CASH from this joker, and no title until then!!!

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

Durrett,what it all boils down to is scammers have made everyone not trust their fellow man anymore used to be a mans words meant something,not anymore,I have had alot of cars over the years but now when I buy a car I hook up the trailer and go get it.If scammers would just be six-foot under we"d be better off.

17. durrett syndrome

durrett syndrome

i didnt join only for the discount, i just took advantage since i did just register...if i made a user name a year ago or a week ago, it wouldnt have changed anything and that would have been retarded...when i finally found something i wanted, i registered. Everyone says Ricks is the shit so when I called him I was now a member and mentioned that...dont take thinks to personally bro its a forum relaxxxx.

18. Teej

Teej

You are the one buying the car, so I think it's up to you to take the risk. I just did this to buy my '58. Yep, it sucked handing over money to deposit in someone else's account, but I wanted the car and felt good about the deal. They shipped me the title FedEx and I got the car a week later on transport.

If you really, really have an issue, go do the deal in person. I'm selling a Vista Cruiser now and he's flying in to drive it home. Nope, I'm not taking a check, or even a money order. He didn't want to travel with cash, so I said to get travelers checks, cash them when you get here and hand me a stack of $100's. THEN he gets the title/keys!

19. You should join the site for the love of talking about traditional hot rods and customs not some fucking discount!

20. durrett syndrome

durrett syndrome

That's exactly why I've been getting on this forum for the past year, reading and reading everything so ur right thankss that's exactly what I did

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I know you already closed the deal, BUT is it possible to wire large amounts of money using Western Union? Then you go pick up the money from WU and mail buyer the title.

22. Never sold a vehicle except face to face. But there is no way a title is signed over until the deal is concluded, whether it be a money transaction or a trade/barter situation.

Different scenario, I had friend that lost a car "legally". Late 1990's, Michigan title, unplated vehicle. Given to my friend by parent. Titled in state #2 and plated. Before he could physically move the car to his state, his parent, previous registered owner passed living in state #3. Surviving step-parent (friend on bad terms with) living in state #3 files for title as surviving spouse with VIN number and is given title.

Step-parent transfers title to another party and is listed as secured interest on title. Car still has never left Michigan! Now registered in Michigan after state #3 title transferred to new owner. Michigan Secretary of State originally investigated, decided it was a civil matter, not criminal as they originally determined it to be. The best part was that there were TWO titles open on the same car at the same time, filed within three months. And remember, original title was surrendered to state #2 while state #3 filed a title on someone's written statement. Obviously no one ever ran the numbers in state #3 and found a valid registration and plates on it under a different name.

State #2 would not get involved as the vehicle was never physically in that state, just being prepared for transit with valid #2 state registration and plates.

State #3 said that they issued a title upon a sworn statemement of surviving spouse with the disclaimer "to the best of my knowledge", and it was a civil matter now.

And Michigan never ran the numbers and found that there were TWO registrations under two different names in two different states. Again within three months time frame. This should have raised a red flag.

Friend kind of decided that it was not worth the trouble and costs to pursue a lawsuit, so he let it go, but still was considering a court case for that and other matters with the estate disbursement. He also passed a few years back, end of all.

I put my friend in touch with a LEO friend at the time this all started. After he reviewed all the paperwork and a few inquiries on his part, he sent my friend to the Secretary of State. So if in my LEO friend's opinion anything was hinky he would not have referred him up the food chain so to speak. And why the S of S declined to get involved and later made that determination I could not say. Just a word of caution.

23. Cash is KING !
    Show Time "Rick Powell" is Good Guy to deal with

24. W U can also be a Rip-Off
    Cash is King.

25. Get the cash first. I am in the process of doing the same. Guy sent me a check and I am waiting for it to clear. Guess because it was Ebay, he felt he had some protection. That, and I project nothing but honesty ;) CONNMAN seems to have a good idea to strike a balance. I wouldn't even talk logistics about picking up without a deposit, BTW...Good luck.

26. he wired me the money this morning, I got it and the car was picked up...very nice shipper by the way would defiantly deal with him again

David was a good buyer, but the paypal thing scared me so I refunded the money and he ended up wiring me money this morning...he sent me pictures of everything he did, such as putting the money in paypal, he sent me pictures of his drivers license, student ID, insurance card, credit card, business card, and sent me a picture of the reciept for wire transfer and then also faxed it to me..anything I asked he did

Attached Files:

27. Good to hear it all worked out.

28. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Good the wire and pick up worked out well. What car hauling company did you use? Im currently looking to have a car moved.

29. durrett syndrome

durrett syndrome

I can find out sat when I get the car...my buddy uses them for his dealership and I had him line everything up but the driver has been contacting me throughout the day letting me know his status...everything worked out on justins end and were both got what we wanted...thanks again

30. I'll say it once. Car does not leave until the cash is in your hand. No exceptions.