Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Shangri La

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jackalope, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jackalope

jackalope

[​IMG]
    Not sure if this is where to post but seeing it in person, SEMA, just made it realllll!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen and 36couper like this.
  2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Rick Dore nailed it. Cool to see hot rodding picking up on coach built European cars of the 30's.

wraymen likes this.
  3. memrez

memrez

That's not a street rod ,looks like some import sports car , Sorry !

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It depends on what part of the world where you stand to what it is. Personally I LOVE it , the time and tallent to build it is off the chart. When we build our cars it is a form of ART and it's a true form of old fashion CRAFTSMANSHIP. Frank

Jonnie King, Speedwrench and wraymen like this.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sports car. Nicely done, but still a sports car.

6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Almost looks like the body is similar to a 33/34 Ford Roadster

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Where?o_O

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

In the door and coach line on the cowel

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hmm.... okay. I'll give it that. But a lot of period cars had those same basic lines.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The back of the hood line to the cowel looks like Ford . I still think it's a Awesome Car, just think about the talent and craftsmanship it took to produce it. I think these builds are in a class all by themselves. Frank

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's no denying the thousands of hours and amazing amount of talent it would take to build a sports car like this one. It's a true tribute to the ART of Coach Built cars.

I guess what I'm getting at is ...... it's NOT a Custom and it sure as hell isn't a Hot Rod. So, why is it even here?

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

13. Looks pretty custom to me.

AdeQ8Styl likes this.
  14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Aha the P.C. Police are here

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LMFAO! For what? Hey, I stated my opinions and views on the car. That's it. When I woke up this morning, I'm pretty sure I had that right. I'm not looking for validation. My opinion and mine alone. If Ryan wants this sports car thread to stay around, that's his decision.

"Ask Ryan". :rolleyes:

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Custom what?:D

17. Custom...Car?
    Well, the body is all hand built right here in the USA so I would say its an American Custom.

greybeard360 likes this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, man. It seems our view of what a TRADITONAL custom is differs and that's okay. No pissing match intended. Y'all have fun.

wraymen likes this.
  19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It's been fun. Thanks Frank

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW is all I can say amazing skills to build a piece of art like that . I do good to get two pieces of steel welded together .

21. There were lots of "sports car customs" built back in the day. Including cars like Vettes, Jaguars and MG's.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  22. oj

oj

Its got the right kind of decadence to carry it. Well, except for the roof, it looks weak from this angle.

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_4392.JPG

24. jackalope

jackalope

I leave for a day and check back in and see some hate takin' place. I guess I never should've posted.
    Just wanted to give some props to mad skills that I was able to see in person. Beyond that there is no reason to hate. Ryan can certainly remove the post. Just silly.
    Grant

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

i.rant likes this.
  25. Fantastic car and workmanship. First rate, but............there's always a but, isn't there??.........I ain't feelin' the wheel/tire combo

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's a cool looking car....the question is....would a hoodlum preach the gospel of hot rodding about it???? Hmmm.....

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Beautiful combination of a Jaguar, Mercedes,and Bentley designs.

28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The car speaks for it self. It's the craftsmanship that screams look at me. It's one of one, it's definitely outside someone's comfort box. I been in a body shop since I was 11 years old and am 74 now and these type of cars don't come along often enough. Look at some of the ones Boyd and Mole built and the cars Art Miller raced in Mexico, that's what Hot Rodding is all about.
    I am glad to see cars like this. Frank

Late to the Party and jackalope like this.
  29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Year's ago when I lived in Pasadena, Bohman & Schwartz were still in business. Their pure, old world-USA-applied craftsmanship was world renown. The Packards, Lincolns, Cadillacs, Chryslers, Duesenbergs, et al, that they customized for the Hollywood stars, business men, corporate execs, Worldwide Royalty, et al...was exactly the same thing that Harley Earl and his father did in an earlier time. To these men, their special world of customizing knew no boundries, no labels. They were just stunning "one-off's" that took a bazillion hours to produce. Perfection was their tradition.

Dore's car is in that exact same vein. No, it's not a chopped Merc, or a channeled shoebox, or a lowered Chevy Styleline , but it is one of the most beautiful pieces of "Rolling Sculpture" I've seen in a long time. Notice how the "peaked" tops of the front fenders follow-through to the rear's ? And, the flow of the entire body from front-to-back is flawless. The car is just plain stunning !

Think about the "out of the box" thinking that Ken "Posie" Fenical puts into his builds, like the "Fleetliner", Steve Frisbie from S.A.R.'s oh-so-cool "Baron Von Kuhl", Darryl Starbird's "Predicta", Barris' "Golden Sahara", John D'Agostino's "Sophia", and, the late-Gary Chopit's "Beatnik". ALL works of art in metal, and if you've ever seen any of these in-person you appreciate them that much more. And, I think they'd always be welcome here on the H.A.M.B.

(Below is a pick of the Barris-built "Parisienne" - now owned by Kurt McCormick - at Bohman-Schwartz where Schwartz did the top, and Maurice Schwartz working on the frame of a rare Duesenberg SJ Speedster at his Pasadena Shop in 1959.)

[​IMG]
    Yes, everyone's opinion counts here on the H.A.M.B., and everywhere else. We ARE all in this together...and that's what it's all about. And, yes, I do like this car...it actually defies a "label". It's just plain cool ! Thanks for posting it jackalope.
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

Anyway...
    Marcel DeLay and his Sons at Marcel's Custom Metal created the body for Dore. Along with Aquarius and Black Pearl. All three truly art. 1478860395492.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app