Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Slowing Down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 23, 2024.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Slowing Down

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

3. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

I don't go to many car shows since my cars are drivers. The last show a young man about 10 was very interested in my car. I invited him to sit in the car and he was thrilled to do so, the look on his face brought many thoughts of my youth back.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

5. sissyboy

sissyboy

Thanks for the read as it is still winter and my projects await.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  6. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

well done.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I would of like to see a picture of the father & son in your car

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. BigRedRivi

BigRedRivi

Very Nice! I too try to share with the younger generation, and unbeknownst to me until years later I turned my nephew onto old cars as well. After his graduation from high school I lost contact with him, years later we reunited and he told me that I had gotten him into old cars. My dad had gotten me into old WWII airplanes and I had gotten an automotive coloring book as a kid that also got me into cars, as it had a page on Art Arfons Green Monster for me to color. Too Kool!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

His young son sounds like a future hot Rodder.
    Great experience thanks for sharing.

10. Huge props @J.Ukrop !!!

That young man will remember you...that car...that moment... FOREVER!!

11. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of your best posts yet.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's so neat.
    Not only will the young man remember that moment but I'm sure you will too.

It really is a special moment when a youngster takes notice and expresses his or her joy at the mere sight of an old car owned by you, me, us. Hard to explain the feeling. But it's a good one.

I was driving my black lowered 1951 Buick Roadmaster Riviera slowly along the service drive of an expressway one quiet summer afternoon. Houses lined the far side of the road. Children were playing in the yard of one of the houses. As I approached, one of the young boys leaped to his feet practically jumping up and down and yelled, "Wow look at the cool old car!" And the other kids came running and yelling too. Their exuberance touched my heart. I waved and blew my horn and I think I was still smiling a mile down the road.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'd rather have my car be complimented by a child rather than any adult. There's never any doubt that the child's compliment is pure and real and true.

15. SS327

SS327

I would have blown that kids mind and offered to take him and his dad for a ride around the block. But it is great you did what you did!

16. Its always nice seeing the next generation of Hot Rodders finding interest in our old stuff. My old man would have made sure to ask the Dad if he would like to take a picture with his boy in the car. I think this is his favorite thing to do at car shows, planting that seed a little deeper.

17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo Joey!
    "Everything old, is new again"

18. Joey , what a great experience for the young man and for you, too. This is something you will always remember.

19. S Baltera

S Baltera

I always tell the trophy trolls ( LOL ) the best and biggest trophy I ever got was the 2 kids in the back of a mini van with 4 thumbs up.Wouldn't trade moments like that for the world.

20. topher5150

topher5150

I was at Steve's Antique Auto, back when it was still in GR, during their summer weenie roast and a bunch of kids were riding their bikes by the hangout. So they got talking about cars with the old farts, talking about how to get into old cars even got a shop tour.

21. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Thank you Joey.
    Puts me in mind of one Sunday with my T pulled into a cul de sac to check the water.
    A youngster on the sidewalk politely asked, "One question, Where do you get a car like that?"
    I directed him to the local bookkstore, and told him about Hemmings Motor News

22. jim snow

jim snow

Excellent story. Thanks for sharing. It may be the cars that bind us it’s also the people.jmho. Snowman ⛄️

23. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

24. Those are the kind of moments and interactions that make having a old hot rod even more satisfying. Good for you Joey.:)

25. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kudos Joey!
    There’s something in the air..

26. I only do 1 show for sure a year. And there are 1000 cars and 100,000 people... I cross out the "do not" in the "please do not touch" portion of the window sign. And let kids climb all over it all day. The look on their faces when you let them sit in it is priceless! I don't have kids and probably won't, so a little bit of joy I can bring to the kids is well worth it.

27. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Always let the kids sit in your car and honk the horn (if you have one) !

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop Great story! Thanks for sharing, and more so for caring enough to make a good impression on that youngster!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  29. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

My first thought was take that kid for a ride! Nothing cooler than that first ride. He would never forget it.