Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest So did Offenhauser go under?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been searching for a 3x2 Offy intake for my 390 Caddy for months and I see that Charlie Price is selling the 2x2, but when I researched the 2x2, he seems to be the primary vendor. Did he buy the molds?

I would love to buy a 3x2, but don't know who to call. I guess I'll give Charlie a call tomorrow and see if he has any insight. I think there would be a market in the Caddy world.

2. No
    Offenhauser did a run of the 2x2 Caddy intake a few years back,
    I don't think they have made the tripower intake since the late 70's, You will have find a used one.

Roothawg likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He probably ordered enough to get them to do a run.

Roothawg likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I found a thread on the old interweb that said they went under in 2006. Tried to find them on the web, no address. Just curious. You may be right George.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty sure Exeter Automotive still sells lots of Offenhauser stuff. I don't think Offy stocks everything, they just do short runs of the stuff that still sells well.

loudbang likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Right now, Speedway advertises a lot of traditional Offy parts like manifolds and heads...and also a lot of small parts that Offy never offered sold under the Offy name now. I was suspecting that Speedway might now own the brand, since they were applying it to new stuff---??

Roothawg likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bruce, can you show the parts, offy did sell TONS of small stuff, throttle linkage, cast wing nuts, ect. I will go to their website and see if I can find anything I don't recognize, but colour me sceptical...

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There's Offenhauser Equipment Company and then there is a guy that bought the Offy engine trademarks that did go under in 2006. Offenhauser is still located on Alhambra Avenue. Marvd is here on the HAMB and is Ollie Morris' grandson. Also owns Exeter as mentioned in posts by falcongeorge. Speedway did enter into a marketing and manufacturing deal with Tay Offenhauser that included the use of the trade marks on stuff made by Speedway.

Roothawg, clunker, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

I called offenhauser in Cali last week to see if what I wanted was still made in the US, sure was.

11. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for the link. I'll submit my question to them today.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for the update.

14. 73RR

73RR

I just called Offy to ask about the 241 Dodge intake and, for those interested, the 1x4 will be available in May 2017. The 2x2 has no production date as of today as they only standing orders for 2 of them.
    Mention was made of Exeter auto parts and the 'guy' at Offy pointed me to "White Owl Auto Parts" which I understand is a throw-back to Ollie Morris but cannot find the business in the www.
    Anyone have a contact number?

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I Posted my question and got a response within 2 hours. Thanks to DMarv for the response.

Offenhauser hears you! The resurrection of the Offenhauser 3x2 for the early Cadillac V8 engines has been on going for the last few years. Offenhauser hopes to make them available soon, but there is more work to be done. Stayed tuned to the Offenhauser website because when they are available it will be announced here first.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Dan Hay likes this.
  16. As a freind of mine who once worked for them used to say "They went out of business years ago, they just didn't have the sense to know it"

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Bruce, can you show the parts..." Offy was also a big wholesaler of parts in the past, and so was in the stream for lots of things they did not make, but it was generally clear what was Offy and what was somebbody else. They obviously mad lots of aluminum castings, and sold them along with associated stuff like linkage, but it looks to me like Speedway is labeling anything new for older engines under Offy...latest thing is Chinese fuel pumps, some more interesting stuff like pressure test kits, timing gears, piston rings, valve lever bars, beehive filters, etc....stuff that wasn't part of the Offenhauser stream in the past and doesn'r seem likely to have gone through the Offy works currently. Seems to be a sort of dilution, and perhaps a bit of cover for the general suspicion of Chinese parts.
    Also...are they simplifying castings now? I haven't had a chance to compare side by side, but it sure looks to me like the current super dual and triple manifolds have lost the separately cored (or whatever you call it) stands under the carbs, dropping the carbs and inch, simplifying the casting process, and making the supers look like cheaper Fentons or something. This sort of bothers me...it does relate to performance and tractability.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks for the clarification Bruce, no, they definitely weren't making stuff like timing gears and fuel pumps and so on. Wasn't aware of that.

19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I would be a buyer of a 3x2 Caddy and a 2x2 241 Dodge. Would also be interested in a 291 DeSoto 2x2 or 3x2. And a 4x2 354 Hemi intake.

20. 73RR

73RR

There are a couple of the Dodge 2x2 on ebay ........
    Good luck on the DeSoto and 4x2......

21. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Offenhauser is not, nor ever has been, out of business. They are located in the same buildings that they have been since the mid 1950's. All of Offenhauser products are made in USA (Los Angeles, CA to be exact).

Since approximately 2009, Speedway Motors has licensed the Offenhauser name for use on products not made by, but related to the Offenhauser product line.

Currently, Offenhauser is updating its web presence with their new corporate website www.offenhauser.co

For me personally, I sold Exeter Auto Supply a few years. I did keep my Offenhauser inventory and transitioned Exeter Auto Supply into White Owl Speed Equipment. The Exeter Auto Supply website featuring Offenhauser is still live. You can contact me for Offenhauser products at 559-786-1864. White Owl Speed Equipment's website is being developed will go live in the next few weeks.

22. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Tell me about it. Been lookin about 10 yrs for the Desoto....

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Exeter Auto Supply". Ah yes. Their website seduced me over that last few years as much as Karen Erickson did when I was in the tenth grade. They were both what we called back then, "Prick Teasers". For a couple of years, I sent them emails about whether this or that might still be available. Never got an answer.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is a 59 factory 3x2 manifold on Ebay

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is a low deck Desoto hemi 4x2 intake on Ebay right now.