Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Swoopy cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Dec 25, 2010.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

This coachbuilt Rolls was actually built upon an early Rolls Royce Phantom II chassis I'm thinkin' 1926. Phantom I,II III & VI chassis were usually big enough to warrant their own zip codes!

French car designers of the 20's & 30's have got to be spinnin' in their collective graves over a Horch being taken for a Delage!

I think all true kustoms, the ones built before 1955 when the bath tub acid really started to kick in, started with the "Swoopy'' look being the basis of their design and vibe. Westergard, Summers, Clayton Jensen & early Barris got it right from the gate. I't sad that got lost along the way.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

3. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

More swoop....

Attached Files:

4. bonesy

bonesy

I've purchased two of these (one for my Dad, one for my son)

I think Volvo P1800s have about the coolest lines ever - swoopy. I'm going to build one like the below version someday.

[​IMG]

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw it in 2003 in the Petersen basement unrestored, it sure wasn't pretty. I'd like to see it in person now that it is restored, quite a transformation. :)

6. FABRK8R

FABRK8R

I dig the Sultan by Delahaye USA & Bmw's Mille Miglia Concept Car. Though both Rigs are quite contemporary, I feel they are a great tribute to their roots.

The last car is a taste of the Streamliner I'm building,... first time it has been posted anywhere. Few folks have actually seen the design. Highlights will be a Thunder V12 & a stretched, port holed, & polished set of 32 rails under the Aluminum shell. Build starts July...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Tell us more about Dad's cars!

I agree, Chrysler did a bunch of neat concept cars in the '50s. Much more European-looking than anything GM or Ford did. I like these 2, among others:

DeSoto Adventurer
    [​IMG]

Chrysler K310
    [​IMG]

May I offer here Mr. Macauley's much earlier Packard concept car, which was a lightweight roadster with a V12 in it. Pity they never produced this car, as I think it's bitchin':
    [​IMG]

Rex, I agree with you completely.

Hahaha! Great work!

I like 'em all except the Morgan (your 7th and final picture); it may be swoopy but it's uuuuugly!

Your streamliner reminds me a lot of one that was built by a guy named Carillo (don't know if it was Fred) circa 1952. It crashed heavily and was destroyed; I think I only ever saw one or two pictures of it. Anybody know that car?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  8. Fred Carrillo 1953
    [​IMG]

and what a happens when a wheel explodes at over 200mph
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chet Herbert's Beast 5.
    [​IMG]

9. tommy v

tommy v

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

This red Caddy IS NOT the work of the French coachbuilder Figoni & Falaschi but has changed hands at auction as such! It even had a faux Figoni build tag affixed to it at one time. It was constructed by a small Swiss coachbuilding firm who's only reason for the award of the commision to construct was its' address location close to the original owner's home.
    It's been in several museum collections including The Blackhawk & The Golden Palace in Vegas. It's a great looking automobile of the "swoopy'' era, but that fucking "Chevrolet Red" colour has gotta go!

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

11. Lotus Europa

Attached Files:

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks, I figured that if anyone would "get" it, you would.

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Quote: 50Fraud;
    "I like 'em all except the Morgan (your 7th and final picture); it may be swoopy but it's uuuuugly!"

Yeah, kinda ugly, but swoopy, and I really like it, ('cept maybe for the wing)

Whoa! Keep us posted, Dude!

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

[​IMG]

I'd like to see that! Is that a Deuce shell between the front fenders? A full-height Deuce shell would be just the thing, I think, to root the design in mechanical reality and stop it being a mere gratuitous abstract shape.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yeah, that's exactly the car I was thinking of. I remember reading about it in a magazine circa '53, and it was described as super high tech and likely to set a new American top speed record (which, at the time, was like 250 MPH). The builder was Spade Carillo, and I didn't know if that was Fred's nickname or not. The car was relatively short, had a very narrow rear end and tail, and was a really pretty shape.

After Bonneville that year, I think it was mentioned that the car crashed, but no details were published about the nature of the crash, the reasons for it, or how the driver fared.
    Here's one more picture I found of it:

[​IMG]

Anyway, my point was that FABRK8R's planned streamliner reminds me of the Carillo car.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  16. rick finch

rick finch

Lincoln K Derham Sport Sedan......

[​IMG]

Chrysler CX LeBaron Imperial Airflow Town Sedan.....
    [​IMG]

Bentley 4.25 Litre "Embiricos" Special.....
    [​IMG]

Packard 1106 Sport Coupe.....
    [​IMG]

:eek::D Lancia Lambda Albany Airway......
    [​IMG]

tinsled likes this.
  17. Hadn't seen this in the earlier posts. One of the swoopiest(?) of all time, IMO.
    [​IMG]

18. rick finch

rick finch

Auto Union "Wanderer" W25 Streamline Special.....

[​IMG]

Ken Miles "Flying Shingle" MG 2R....(just for the whimsy of it.)

[​IMG]

19. rick finch

rick finch

Yup, and aptly named too. :)

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I have a hard on for a DB4 and a Delahaye.

21. 777

from Pasadena

Model A swoop; if that's even possible with an A. I took my best garage built attempt at it though. The nose isn't done but once I blend in the pieces to a one piece maybe it will get a little quicker looking hopefully without loosing too much more of the A. My kids think it looks like a sleigh ride though, go figure kinda does have that too I suppose.
    Build pics in my albums for those interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

You've got a bit of a Voisin Laboratoire vibe going on there.
    [​IMG]
    Not swoopy!

Now that is cool! I like weirdness in any era ...

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'll see your zoomy Lincoln sedan and raise you a Zoomy Mercedes:
    [​IMG]

I love both of these!

I've seen this car in person. It was built with a kind of aircraft theme, with many details borrowed from then-current aircraft practice -- seats, instruments; can't remember the other features. Not very attractive, but very interesting.

Forgot about those. Good choice. Too bad they didn't handle as well as they looked.

Great car. It sure wasn't this straight when Miles was racing it!

I'm with you on the Aston; I'll just admire the Delahaye from afar.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  24. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Ok so my pics aren't totally perfect... but I like them for various reasons...

A couple might be frowned upon, and a couple have already been posted but I like them so I posted them again...

Here goes...

Datsun 280Z (I have visions of a high revving turbo'd six, tires screaming around corners, looking out the windshield past that long hood.......)

Honda S600 Roadster and Honda S800 Coupe (HONDAS?!?!?!? haha.. yes.. I'd love to have my way with one... Big american v8, very minimal interior, a small single or double hoop roll bar for the roadster, simple cage for the coupe.. Knock off Mags, something along the lines of a Firestone indy tire, and either a coat of cream, or british racing green)

Mazda RX4 (they give me the same aggressive vibe as the 60's and 70's muscle cars)... hopped up rotary mill, dark blue paint, black interior, and a set of minilites..

Volvo P1800 (been posted before, but I dig 'em...)

Opel GT

Lamborghini Miura SV (been posted before, I love these cars!)

'47 Buick Roadmaster (any Buick Fastback really... beautiful cars in my opinion, I'll take mine in all black, with skirts and set of WWW's)

Attached Files:

25. rick finch

rick finch

^^^ A couple might be frowned upon, and a couple have already been posted but I like them so I posted them again...

No way your choices will be frowned upon.....good ones all.:)

26. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Sweet!, I figured the Jap cars would be a no no... but since they're not........

Mazda R130

A Mikasa Convert. not sure on year... There's not much on google images as far as Mikasas go...

front shot of a '37 Nissan 70.. swoopy..

Nissan 680x

Nissan R381

Prince R380

Datsun Fairlady Sp130

Toyota 2000gt

Toyota Sports 800

Datsun Fairlady Spl213

Attached Files:

27. rick finch

rick finch

Another Cheetah 3/4 view.....
    [​IMG]

Stealth M/B 300SL......
    [​IMG]

Porsche "Outlaw"......
    [​IMG]

Bill Michell's personal Buick Rivi, the "Silver Arrow".........
    [​IMG]

28. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

end thread

29. jasone

jasone

Gotta say, those early Ferraris really tickle my pickle, lines and performance at it's best.

30. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

This is a great thread, got me to thinking about it...While they may be a bit pedestrian, for me, these Jags always had just the right amount of "Swoop" & "Agility" to them...hey, wait a minute... "SWOOPAGILITY"...Hey, a new word! Oxford English Dictionary here we come!

Attached Files: