Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tach drive on a nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nonipshere, Apr 18, 2024.

1. nonipshere

nonipshere

I have a 322 nailhead that I’m installing in a model A roadster. Has anyone ever used a Corvette generator tach drive set up on a nailhead? If so, what are some technical modifications if any?

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I see that no one has chimed in here since yesterday, I believe that if you have the Corvette generator it's just a simple swap of replacing generators. Some generators are longer/shorter than others so the bracket needs to match. That's what I think, good luck.

Pat

elgringo71 likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

It should work, but getting the tach to read correctly may require swapping pulleys.

4. I would imagine your crank pulley will need to be the same diameter as the Corvette one, if it's different then you will be over/under driving the tach. You could be real slick and machine up a bolt on V-groove in the proper diameter that attaches to the Buick pulley and then space out the generator accordingly to line it up if necessary.

5. BJR

BJR

It may also depend on if your tach spins at a different rpm than the Corvette tach for a given RPM on the dial.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

corvette generator drive tachs are 1:1 where dist drive tachs are 2:1, so you will either need a 1:1 tach or a ratio adapter in the cable

BJR likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

On the 2 to 1 drive which is the 2 and which is the 1? 2 turns on the distributor to 1 on the tach? Or the other way around.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the distributor turns half the speed of the crankshaft, so the the tach is 2:1