Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: How to make a 4 door cool! OR...Shoebox Ford 2 Door Conversion!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Great work,we are going to do a 53 chevy chop soon and some work on quarters,did get a lotof ideas from your post.Thanks Joe

2. Lill_Hedlund

Lill_Hedlund

Now thats some exellent metalwork, seems like you've done this kind of work before because you make it look soo easy!!

3. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Nice work and some nice tips as well

4. I was watching your 2 door thread forever, what ever happened to it?! After seeing the progress stop I figured it was impossible to do and had to think about mine twice! :D

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice work !!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

7. Thanks man! Who elses garage would I do it in? ;)

8. raidmagic

raidmagic

Very nice, leave the 2 doors on the passenger side and you can have the only 3 door shoebox out there.:D

Great work...check that...AMAZING work!!!!!! Keep us updated.

9. Hehe, tell folks it was a factory taxi cab :eek:

10. 62dartman

62dartman

Great thread, beautiful work man!!! Would love to try this on my Olds someday!

11. Haha, thanks! I'll have to figure out how to use the time delay on the camera to catch pics of my shenanigans :)

12. Thanks Tony! It makes the entire job go smoother and quicker...at least for me anyways.

13. Do it!!!!

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, fantastic work - to do all of this you must really hate four doors - guess two doors not available in your area - continue on with all of the info and pics - I got a chopped '51
    trying to get running to sell

15. I started on it Monday, rebuilding my door hinges and bracing it.

Started marking and cutting on Tuesday, more of the same on Wednesday, nothing on Thursday, and to where you see it now was done by Friday.

That's working 9-5 minus lunch time....one of those days was a 2 hour lunch break...slacker :D

16. primed34

primed34

This is really going to piss off the four doors are cool group. You do amazing work.

17. Thanks! Is that your car in your avatar? Is that the one that had a pic in Street Rodder a few months back? T-bird hood scoop, different side trim, that sort of stuff done to it?

18. Dan you really should have went to college and not wasted your time on these old cars...lol
    You've came a long way on your skills over the last 5 years too, nice to see it.

19. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

What he said. Proud of ya Danny boy.

20. Thanks!

Haha, no hate for four doors at all, mines been great to me, hauled alot of people and other junk around in it over the last several years.

It might seem like alot of un-neccesary work to 2 door it, and I thought really long and hard about it before jumping in. Here's how I've rationalized it...

1. It was my first car, I'll never get rid of it, so why not turn it into what I've always wanted?

2. I'll have less time 2 dooring a pretty solid, mostly rust free 4 door than I will fixing rust in a rough 2 door (plus it'll be more fun than rust repair!).

3. It'll be fun to see the look on the guys face at the local cruise in that everytime I'm there reads me my VIN code and tells me how a "P" stands for 4 door.

4. It's a good challenge!

21. Thanks guys! Not to get all misty on ya but I really appreciate it, I've put a lot of time and effort in to get where I'm at. Like you said Swade, I look back at stuff I was doing 5 years ago, even 5 months ago, and can't belive it. If I learn half as much shit in the next 5 years, I can't wait to see what I can do 5 years from now :eek::D

22. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looking really good. You've done your homework on this one. Well thought out. Keep it up bud!

23. Yikes! Forgot about that...they're probably gonna kick me out over this :eek:

24. gwarren007

gwarren007

25. Ok Ok Ok shoeboxes are not my cup of tea especially 4 Doors... but it's like hearing about a train wreck in your neighborhood... I just had to take a look!

But unlike staring at a train wreck I was admiring you forethought and skill to polish what I considered a turd into a great looking car!

And you're right... modifying a solid car is much more fun than rust repair any day!

26. VonKool13

VonKool13

Wow that is really bitchin. I can't do that so I will just settle for the rusty 2 door fix up job. :)

27. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

That's a nice 56 in your avatar. Just finished a 55 in the same colors.

28. Well, I'm not a U.S. citizen so I can only stay in the United States for a certain period of time. Before I left Ganbino's we had the two door doors hanging and the top set on. Since leaving Gambino Kustoms I have decided to further my education, so I am currently in college in Canada. I don't think Alex or the other guys have worked on the Shoebox there due to all the customer cars they have. They are pretty busy man. Hopefully someday I will get to work on that '50 again. It was a lot of fun and a learnt a lot.

Seriously though, not to long ago some people talked me out of converting my four door '56 into a two door. But after looking at this thread I want to recocider it. You did a badass job on your Shoebox man. It looked bitchen as a four door, but I'm sure it will be a millions times better as a two door.

29. Thanks, it's alright it's what I have and I'm making use of it. I have big plans for it just kind of hard with school, lack of tools and space, etc. Do you have a build thread or anywhere I could view your '55? I can't get enough of '55-'56 Fords.

30. Damn, Dan... you did good!

Sam