Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech question: batteries

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by Tim, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,

The Mokan website lists that if the battery is moved from under the hood it needs to be separated from the driver and in another area mentions a cut off switch.

I'm curious what qualifies as "separated from the driver" does a battery box with a lid count or if it's in your trunk do you need a full bulkhead between you and the battery?

Also for this event is the cut off switch required on a car that's obviously not going to go all that fast? What about cars with batteries in the trunk that have a handle on them and as such would be just as easy to open as a hood?

I figured there's a few guys here that do the tech inspections so I'd just ask.

Thanks

2. The tech inspectors can be pretty picky. I am not inspecting so maybe one of the fellas will chime in.

A lot of the fellas build an aluminum bulk head like a firewall. I don't see a lot of cars with external battery switches.

@MoKanMan is a good place to ask. he should be able to answer that question.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I also see a lot of cars with the battery under the floor. Wood floors at that sometimes. I know we get a little wiggle room on this weekend but I'd rather it just be right

4. Usually if the battery is tied down (with more than a bungee cord) and your fuel tank is not in the truck you are golden. You shouldn't need an external shut off switch until you break 10.

There should actually be a tech inspection post on this forum. Let me look for it.

Tim likes this.