Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 2015 YAY-HOO CUP... It's a 3-fer!!

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by BLAKE, Aug 24, 2015.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

Yep. It's official. Jason Schaefer is now on The Yay-Hoo Cup for the third time... and, as usual, he did it with style... 'Schaefer-style'.

If you guys remember the stories of Jason's previous wins in 2011-12 (here), you'll recall that the latter was effectively a repeat of the former wherein Jason and crew met up with Reggie Moore in the Organ Grinder and they drove the 350-400 miles together to the event. Then, both years, after ticking off 10.6-second passes, Jason would blow up his motor and get towed back to Joplin by his brother-in-law's coupe. Back in the hotel parking lot, the Schaefer clan would celebrate-slash-prepare to trailer the wounded Chicken Coupe back to Florida so the kids could start school on Monday. That's just how they did it... twice.

This year was a little different. This year, Jason drove the Chicken Coupe the full 943 miles to Joplin from Florida... but he included a slight detour to pick up his 14-year old nephew, who would serve as co-pilot for the journey. The trip to Joplin was effectively drama-free, but their safe arrival was countered by buckets of rain dumped down the carbs of the coupe's blown big block Friday night. Pre-race tuning was expanded to include oil changes and hoping for dry cylinders.

It worked. The coupe ticked off a 10.80 pass in detuned, highway-friendly mode, and Jason promised that he was gonna leave well enough alone so that he could... you know... win The Cup™ and safely drive the beast back home to Florida. That plan lasted about an hour, though, as Jason was soon tempted by the need to push the beast further... and he floated valves in the process. So... dust off Plan B. Pile the tools and crew into the rumble seat of the coupe, and hitch it behind the Organ Grinder for the tow back to Joplin wherein the trailer awaits.

Congrats to Jason! I'll let him respond with additional details here, but this 10.80 pass was the quickest of the Cup Contenders™ this year. The Cup™ is his, again.

I also want to thank all the other folks who signed up to make the run for The Cup™ interesting and fun:
    • Robin 'RAVEN' Harvey (drove 250 miles)
    • Ken 'RACER29' Long (150 miles)
    • Reggie 'ORGANGRINDER' Moore (360 miles)
    • Nick 'MALCOLM' Hoesing (350 miles)
    • Jason 'JHO' Holland (350 miles)
    • Mike Harty (403 miles)
    You guys all rule!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rodshop and southpaw-customs like this.
  2. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Congratulations to Jason & The Chicken Coupe!! You sure know how to earn a trophy the hard way!

3. daschaefer

daschaefer

Well it's like my dear sweet grandma used to tell me:
    "It doesn't really matter whether you win or lose...... as long as you win"

Special thanks to All the Yay-Hoos for re-directing everyones attention to the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF HOT RODS....... DRIVING THEM ON THE STREETS..... WHERE THEY BELONG!!!!
    And very special thanks to Blake for cool words and great photos.... It was the exact therapy that I needed... God Bless all you guys!

4. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

good job, Jason!!!
    You had some serious competition let alone the rain!
    Tom T

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thank YOU, Jason!:)

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congrats, again, Jason -- well done!!

7. Congrats Jason nice to not pass you on the chain this year. you done good. ;)

8. Great job Jason! AND, to the Yay-Hoos for puttin' the challenge out there, drive 'em AND run 'em. Hats off to both of ya! Thanks.

9. Brandi

Brandi

10. roundvalley

roundvalley

World needs more HOODLUMS like this.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Out of Curiosity what did the rest of the guys run?

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

I think most were in the 12's except Reggie, who ran very low 11's... perhaps others will chime in here to confirm...?

Either way, it's important to emphasize that anyone could win The Cup with a mid-12 run. We don't want folks refusing to sign up just because some 10-sec guy signs up. Anything can happen on the track! We had guys who run easy mid-11's refuse to sign up last year because they just assumed they needed mid-10's to compete... not so.

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats, Jason that car flies.

See you in a year. -Abone.

14. larry edmonds

larry edmonds

What years are allowed to compete for the yayhoo cup?

15. BLAKE

BLAKE

I assume you're referring to years of cars? Our take has always been that if Ryan allows it to register for the HAMB Drags, it meets our criteria... as long as it's driven to the event.

16. larry edmonds

larry edmonds

yes, years of cars. I have a 64 falcon that I am thinking about running

17. My best was an 11.55. I was a tenth slower than normal because my throttle cable had slipped a bit not allowing WOT. Didn't realize it till I got home but knew something was slowing me down.

18. That was me last year. The previous year's winner, Mike, was supposed to be there so it caused me to chicken out. He had been running I think mid 9's in his Henry J. Turns out I could have had it last year had I entered because he ended up not being there. But for me it's fun either way. The main thing here is DRIVE THEM THINGS!

strokedstang331 likes this.
  19. Don't forget who got you in the 60-foot! We'll not mention the other 1260 feet of track.

strokedstang331 likes this.
  20. Avgas

Avgas

Better late than never! I didn't drive all the way to Joplin but it was worth the trip! Driving into the car park with wall to wall kool was the ultimate in my 7500 mile US road trip! Going to make it again, hopefully soon! There were some wicked fast hotrods getting amongst it, one in particular was an A coupe with organ pipe exhaust, was thoroughly entertained everytime it launched and grabbed gears, great ride, HAMB drags rock!

21. john W.

john W.

Gee willickers, I thought my 63 Galaxie 427 was bitchin', that is, UNTIL I saw the Chix coupe!
    Congrats!