Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "All Business Coop" 1930 Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hot Rod 50, May 6, 2015.

1. I bent the wishbone right under the tie rod. I also had to heat the steering arm and bend that up so that the tie rod cleared the wishbone. Good to know someone else had this problem!!!

2. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Cool. Thx. Ben do you have any pics of it in your thread?

Thx for the pic slinginrods. Did you put your mount for the bones inside the frame rail?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Here are the good photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  4. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Hot Rod 50 likes this.
  5. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Cool thanks for the info guys. One more? Are you guys using the model A spindles and steering arms? I am using the A gear. I was planning to bend the arms around to get clearance as everything has sandwiched with being lower than stock.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I am using the A spindles with modified 39 backing plates for juice brakes. I also used stock steering arms. I am currently reinforcing the drag link and tie rod so that they do not buckle. I am using speedway 11/16 tie rods to do so. Drag link will be lengthened 3 1/4 inches in order to use F1 box.
    For what it is worth, if I had to do it again, I would have just have bought V8 spindles. Modifying the juice brakes to work sucked a lot.

Hot Rod 50 likes this.
  7. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Yea it takes some work for sure. I modified 50 F-1 backing plates for mine. I actually have gotten the model A steering box and column to fit so everything should be pretty stock said and done. And yea I have the 11/16 tie rod ends on my wish bones as well.

8. Ok-- but to be clear, I meant tie rods. The stock tie rod and drag link are 5/8 forged steel. I do not have much trust in them, and they are known to be pretty bendable. I am sleeving both in 11/16 tie rod from speedway as a result. Safety first!

9. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

10. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2815.JPG IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2815.JPG
    I'm not using the same spindles as you. But you could easily bend your steering arms to clear everything. Man my stuff looks crappy

Attached Files:

Hot Rod 50 likes this.
  11. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Thanks for the pics. They definitely help. I'll get to bending around on things and see what happens.

12. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I was talking on the phone with a guy from chassis engineering just the other day. He was saying bringing the split wishbones back towards the stock center mounting position is the way they suggest instead of mounting the bones along the sides of the frame.

13. From what I understand, the more triangulation, the better. That is why everyone wants 32 wishbones. If you are running a dropped axle, the front of the frame will be pretty low and you might not have the ground clearance available to locate the radius rod mounts inboard.

14. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Yea I've read the same thing. And it was that way from the factory so I'm sure it would work. I'm not running a dropped axle. Only pulled a few leaves out. So I think I'd have room to bring them to the center.

brEad likes this.
  15. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Finally got around to designing and cutting out boxing plates and a trans mount/cross member. I dig it. It's not super stylish or trad but we built it and it should work. I think my cousin is gonna save this so if y'all want either of these let me know. Should be pretty affordable.

The Cross member is cut as one piece and bent together and welded up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AHotRod and waxhead like this.
  16. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

AHotRod and brEad like this.
  17. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

AHotRod and Jeff34 like this.
  18. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Since I'm not at the roundup looking at hot rods I figured I'd better work on one.

Crossmember almost ready.
    [​IMG]

brEad and AHotRod like this.
  19. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Tobbe J and brEad like this.
  20. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Well after a year off trying to make a living at sub $50 oil were back to working on the coupe. Plans are still the same. We are currently working on the rear suspension. We have cut out some rear ladder bar brackets for the rear end and tabs for the trans crossmember.

Question. What should the angle of the bars be as they go from the rear end to the crossmember?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

21. verde742

verde742

what spring are you using on the back ? Model A ?
    get them as close together as you can at the trans mount, think three mounting points. As wide as you can get them at axle , leave room for brake lines,, (and bleeding)
    works like a triangle, Like Henry did.

coil overs, don't matter.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  22. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Using a model A spring. Thanks for the info man.

I’ll post pics later.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  23. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

What's up everyone. Long time no see. Unfortunately life happened and the coupe was put into storage shortly after the last post and has been there ever since. After getting out of the oil field and changing jobs a couple times it looks like I'm going too be able to get back on this project. Its my dream car and I haven't given up on finishing it.

The purpose of the car has changed just a hair. I want to be able to daily drive it so the drive train won't be traditional. Im looking for some advice on motors, fuel injection and rear end choices for 50 miles a day of highway driving at 75 to 80 mph to and from work. It will get heat and AC too. the outside and interior will look pretty traditional however. I want to run a full hood, The wheels and tires that are on it in the previous pictures here With a baseball glove colored interior and shiny black or brown paint. It will end up looking very similar to my avatar in the end. It will NOT be a street rod. No billet BS. However I know you guys don't care for newer motors and FI stuff so tell me to kick rocks if the car no longer fits the hamb. You won't hurt my feelers.

The front suspension will be stock style and I'm debating on going coils for the rear or stick with the buggy spring setup. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks fellas!

24. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

This is the look it will have. Just wth modern drive train. V8, kind of thinking about a small ford. I've been a Chevy guy but a ford in a ford would be cool.

Attached Files:

luckylou likes this.