Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Levee Leveler (A Single Seat Racer Circa 1934)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lookin good. I say we put the wife's in it and see who can cut a faster lap.

For some reason I feel like it would be faster than ours haha

cactus1 likes this.
  2. MIKE!! This is BITCHIN! I had no idea you were so far along! We are going to have a good mix of single seaters from Washington state and the North East at Hot Rod Dirt Drags this year!! Just saying....

You do nice work, I love it!

cactus1 likes this.
  3. Thanks man! I was really just trying to take a little visual weight out of the bracket. I hope it's not too fancy for the car??

I hope I can find some more square headed bolts that are graded a little higher? I really like the look!

Thank you!

Thanks man you are too kind!

You are probably right! Emily is as excited as I am to take a few laps in it, ha!

Thanks Mike! No pressure, haha!

Here's the collar with the back-dated bolts. They could stand to be a little shorter. I hope to find a bunch of old hardware to replace all the new stuff for the car's first incarnation (before final paint later down the line.)
    image.jpeg

brEad, Pat, Tuck and 3 others like this.
  4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Wow, I just found this thread yesterday and have taken some time to get through it all.
    Cactus1, I am blown away with the vision and talent.
    I went to Speedway Motors Museum in Sept last year and was just amazed at the size and breadth of the collection that Speedy Bill put together. There is quite a number of single seater dirt track cars that will be inspirational for you, though, thinking about it, you probably don't need much more inspiration.
    I'm looking forward to how this progresses further. Thanks for sharing.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey they've got a circle drive in front of the museum maybe you can go take a lap around it lol

6. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Cactus, the steering is awesome! I've been wanting to do the same on something for awhile, and now I can just steel your idea!! Great job all around!
    Johnny

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Wow! Thank you so much! We went to the museum a few years ago and that pretty much solidified the plan to build this car. It was more than I could take, haha!

Road trip!

Hey Johnny thanks man! Steal away brutha! (PS Emily says "Hi!")

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  8. flatout51

flatout51

Fastenal sells square head bolts in grade 8. They have quite a few on the website

brEad and cactus1 like this.
  9. Lookin great man! Really good to see how you did the steering box, gonna do a similar thing on mine.. Keep it up!

cactus1 likes this.
  10. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

McC2.jpg Been following your thread with a lot of interest then a guy sends me this picture over the weekend.Looks like your headed the right direction.If you read the history on this its crazy what they did to these motors to get them into race form.This had a supercharged rajo head four banger.This was built around 1928.

Dannerr, Tiny, skatermann and 2 others like this.
  11. Lookin good!

12. Thanks burl! Yes that is a great pic! I have it saved along with a few others of that car inside a showroom type setting. So neat!

Thanks Trent!

So I spent a little time deliberating what to do with my clutch pedal. It's been a hang up for a few months now. I finally made a decision on it and started cutting and pasting. Preliminary results seem ok so I will press on!

[​IMG]

Pat, Stogy, flatout51 and 3 others like this.
  13. flatout51

flatout51

[​IMG]

I stole this from instagram. Seems pretty simple enough.

Sent from my SM-N900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr likes this.
  14. Hey that's cool! Remember whose it was by chance?

flatout51 likes this.
  15. flatout51

flatout51

His instagram name is jc1932 good sir!

16. Thanks Broceephus!

flatout51 likes this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love your build. Gary

18. LostBoy

LostBoy

19. Ha! Thanks guys!

With spring upon us I've been pretty busy around the farmette mowing, gardening, etc. but I've managed to sneak in a couple hours here and there to work on the clutch pedal/linkage.
    I sectioned this pedal arm, flipped the pedal pad mount around and stuck the tab in a different spot. I also had to plug the old zerk hole and relocate it to the front of the arm.
    I welded a couple of 5/16-24 bolts together to use with the yolks. Here are the pics...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    brEad, ClarkH, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  20. There's no clutch in yet but my hopes are high!

Here's a vid...

21. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Like what you are doing.
    have a lenght of 3'' brass tubing i am going to use

22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

23. Thanks gents!

24. flatout51

flatout51

cactus1 likes this.
  25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Nifty!

cactus1 likes this.
  26. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Following this post with great interest. I'm just finishing my 1928 4 banger sprint car and just made its 1st run last week.

About your brake cross shaft, I looked at a couple of different ideas before using a model t cross shaft and it fits nicely under the enclosed driveshaft. That gave me more leg room in the cockpit. I used the model t frame mounts and bolted it under the bottom frame rail. I narrowed it so fit inside the belly pan.

I made shafts from the backing plates to the center diff to support the brake actuator tubes and levers, and this allowed all brake levers and rods to be hidden inside the belly pan and under the floor plan. Nice neat and very functional. I also used the original model t brake lever on the left hand side to operate the brakes. I cut down original model t brake rods and have adjustable clevice's on each rod for adjustment.

I will try and get photos to post here next week. It did come out quite sanitary. Just a thought.

I read here at one time there was a guy making vintage frame rails with the rounded front, anyone know who or where? I was able to pick up a Morton and Brett 2 man body at Bakersfield swap meet last month and plan on building another sprint car after the 1928 Chevrolet/Overland car is finished.

thnx,

[email protected]

Dannerr likes this.
  27. Looking better every time I check in Mike!

cactus1 likes this.
  28. Thanks @brasscarguy, your little racer sounds great! We need to see some pics! I don't recall hearing anything about the rails you describe. If you find it let us know.

Dannerr likes this.
  29. I had a little time on Sunday to work on the steering. I took everything apart to change out the steering shaft for one that wasn't bent and then proceeded to shorten it and adapt it to the V8 shaft I had to utilize the adapter for the "bell" wheel.

Back to the "abrasive lathe" to turn an adapter.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I had to open up the shaft as it was a little smaller than 5/8" ID.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Just tacked for now in case something needs to change. Not much of an update but it sure took me a long time to do, ha!
    image.jpeg

brEad, ClarkH, Flowmeister and 5 others like this.
  30. flatout51

flatout51

My wrist HURTS looking at that drill in that shaft.... haha! Looking good my friend!

brEad and Tim_with_a_T like this.