Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Old Days of Dual 4's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Jan 30, 2024.

1. saltracer219

saltracer219

I cannot imagine why anyone would do this!

rmcroadster, vtx1800, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  2. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@LOU WELLS I'm guessing your fill cap is vented? I wouldn't mind running breathers on mine, if I could find some old MT or especially some KB ones. But I bet I end up running a tube from the carb like you did, just to keep from cutting on an old set of Corvette or Cal Custom valve covers.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

427 sleeper likes this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

'63 or '64 Corvette ran a set up like that with a Horizontal PCV valve inline to carb from the factory. Their fill cap was not vented but can't remember where the air inlet was from. If you have the rite block you can run a catch can under manifold than a PCV & grommet from hole next to dizzy. I know I need pics it would explain it better! I will be doing something like that with my tunnel ram & Vet covers. IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4534.JPG

enloe, VANDENPLAS, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  5. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

IMG_0209.jpg
    a couple of Edelbrock 500cfm performer's on a stroked 409, regularly driven, totally streetable at 10mpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  6. They were vented at the road draft tube at the back of the block.
    I ordered a corvette kit from Eklers, the pcv that screwed into the oil fill tube was backwards flowing for what was needed, so be careful what you buy if you go for something like that.
    I ended up just going back to a vented oil fill

20230914_190704.jpg

enloe, VANDENPLAS, 41 coupe and 8 others like this.
  7. Also if you notice on my first post those particular Carters have the fuel inlet on the driver's side, while my other Carters are passenger side, so be aware of things like that too when carb shopping.

enloe, Deuces and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Phil. where did you get your Air Cleaners?
    I had a set similar designed by David Wolk.. but I believe he shut his business down.

enloe and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dual Quads look great on everything. WCFB’s are great carburetors. Air cleaners are Harley Davidson 90’s Evo on Charlie Prices air horn bases; PVC valve, V100, is between the carbs and horizontal. IMG_0193.jpeg

Kelly Burns, Outback, RmK57 and 14 others like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you run a PCV valve at the fill tube, you need one for a 66-7 Vette. The other one's were designed to screw into the back of the carb. ;)

11. cabong

cabong

My wife ran 2 500cfm 2bbls on a 2x4 manifold with machined adaptors.... Worked great, although the mill was pretty pumped up !! Ak Miller used 4 Strombergs on a Weiand 2x4 on the El Caballo.. 371oldsmobile.jpg 55 Ford 003.jpg

enloe, Outback, foolthrottle and 7 others like this.
  12. WCFB's would be the way to go; IF you can find a pair of the right ones. I had a pair on a 331 Cad for years; it ran ok for a pair of humped-up mixed parts carbs. I could probably rebuild one of them but the other carb needs a new main body and the correct one is tough to find. Getting closer to needing them and will probably have to get a pair of AVS-2's to get it on the road.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    Roothawg and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  13. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Yeah, Why?

14. GuyW

GuyW

Dave Schnieder of Schneider Racing Cams told my buddy to put 2 - 500 cfm Holley 2 barrels on his tunnel-rammed 327, and it worked bitchin'. Dave's FI Corvette road racer also left an indelible impression on me...

Outback and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  15. saltracer219

saltracer219

2OLD2FAST and loudbang like this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

31657.jpeg Here's my roadster...Mark gets upset when I show my other 2x4 intake:p

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or Z-28- or Chevelle/Nova L-79.

Tow Truck Tom, Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  18. Jeff I actually bought them here in the classifieds from somebody, Knight Prowlers sold them (exact same ones) but I'm not sure if they are still in business or not.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Affirmative!

20181231_114725.jpg

Kelly Burns, Tow Truck Tom and Deuces like this.
  20. It was sold as a kit, should've been the correct one, the first time I screwed it in and tried to tighten it, it snapped the screw in bung right off the tube.
    I had to weld that stupid thing back on, should've been my first indication that it wasn't the quality piece I thought I was getting, you'd think going directly to the corvette vendor you'd get the right stuff.

21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'd think so! Seem's like we the consumer are the only one's that give a Damn about shit being right. The vendor just want's a quick sale... :mad:

Deuces, swade41, 2OLD2FAST and 2 others like this.
  22. carbking

carbking

If you use a Carter with the auxiliary air valve, this is not necessary, as the carburetor itself will block the secondary side, unless the engine asks for it.

GM used 750 CFM carbs on a lot of 6 cylinder engines.

Jon

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Then will you have quad quads?

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I've been scouring the old web for a set Jeff. Nothing looks right.

Jeff Norwell and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Agreed Root...... Getting harder to find.

Outback and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  26. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

This is a setup I’ve been waiting to get back to work on. 93% sure I can make it work, which makes me happy. Been on my brain for a long time.

IMG_8637.jpeg

enloe, Deuces, Tow Truck Tom and 5 others like this.
  27. PackardV8

PackardV8

From experience, if one wants to add a PCV to early 2x4 carbs and intakes, plan on having a direct reading O2 sensor at hand. It's almost impossible to get the idle air-fuel ratio right by ear, since the PCV is a controlled air leak beneath the butterflies. Sometimes, there's sufficient adjustment in the carb idle circuit, sometimes, there's not.

Most early 4-bbls have a secondary idle circuit and the OEM 2x4 carbs closed that off, as having eight idle circuits was too much and very wasteful of fuel on decelleration.

Cadillac posted a Service Letter to dealer service departments detailing how to set up and tune the then-new 2x4 setups. It's still the bible today.

jack vines

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^ This has always worked for me. There is only an idle circuit on the front barrels on early WCFB’s. I idle on both and run on the rear carburetor. The exhaust is always clean along with the factory tips that are thru the bumper. You will notice at idle both carbs are very close to the same air flow. After 5 years they are still the same. IMG_3732.jpeg IMG_3728.jpeg

chevy57dude, Deuces, rod1 and 7 others like this.
  29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have dual quads on an Edelbrock C26 like the OP posted. Two new-ish Edelbrock AVS2 500 cfm, rear is electric choke, manual choke on the front. Both needed some work out of the box to run right, along with some adjustments to the ignition system. Engine is a Chevy 350 ci, 290 hp crate engine. The idea that dual quads have to get poor fuel milage is a fallacy. The last 250 mile trip I took with this car I averaged 21 mpg.

IMG_7677.jpg

30. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked this up to get a carburetor for another project car, the front is a 500 cfm that looks to have never been used, the "other" carburetor is a "junk" parts carburetor. It was an impulse buy, something I've dreamed about for almost sixty years, not sure what I will put it on. IMG_5581.JPG