Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Southern Employment Special, Insanity101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Dec 15, 2015.

1. OK so there is already a thread that is gawd knows how long on this old heap.

pass side.jpg

But I decided that since the madness has begun I will start an actual build thread and this is where all the updates will happen. This may be a long slow process so updates will not come rapid fire like everyone else's.

But here is a quick rundown of what has happened. The old nail head has gone on to where ever nail heads go when they leave my possession. I hope that does not disappoint someone, my dad was a nail head guy I am not.

Now I am trail blazing. I have recently learned that this is called backyard work because I don't have a sign hanging over my door and to be entirely honest with you I have not done my research and there is nothing scientific about the engine placement. I stuck it where I wanted it.

The motor mounts are loosely tacked, but now that I know that I like things this way I can and will box and gusset them, Probably not today. :D

OK enough of the windy shit, some pics to follow and I need a nap. :D

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm here, but I gotta go potty

3. motorfront.jpg

By the way I have been saving this new in the box old Hurst mount for a project. Most of the main build on this old heap is the culmination of about 20 years of hording. give or take.

front.jpeg

Did I mention madness?

deepenough.jpeg

motortop.jpg.jpg

This looks a little less extreme ;)

front3quarter.jpeg

side.jpeg

I have had enough fun for one day. I am really getting too old for this shit. Well maybe not I still got another rod or two in me. :D

oldman.jpeg

So quick rundown, we lost about 1.5 cylinders into the cowl and the back of the mill is still in front of the windshield. So I won't be a true back seat driver but close. Hope you enjoy I certainly em. Gawd I love building cars.

4. Well 'beaner, I think you'll have room for a mechanical fan!:D:):D;)

5. Well I don't know how to do power steering so I figured that moving the motor back was the next best thing. :rolleyes: :D

6. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Looking good, keep on keepin' on.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. I'm glad to see you have finally started working on the sedan Beeno,seeing a cowl on it makes it look more like a car.

Slow build?,as I recall my wagon build took 9 years and one month to the day so your gonna have to procrastinate a lot to break that record!:rolleyes:

Like Don said,I think you have plenty of room for a mechanical fan. HRP

8. I am actually thinking about one of those little electric fans but I have not yet decided if I should mount it on the column or the dash panel. :rolleyes:

9. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It looks like you have a good start. I think I'm on pace to break Danny's record (3 years to strip the paint, fab a couple floor pans and pull the engine and trans) so you better slow down over and quit being so eager if you want a chance.

10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I like it! Look forward to seeing it progress.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

he has been picking away at it the whole time. couldn't really start motor mock ups until the nail head was gone etc etc.

Should be a wild one I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Silly Back Yard Builder,,,, But at least you can adjust the dist from the front seat without leaning too far forward....

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like it Beeno, keep us posted.

15. Won't need a loud peddle either just reach out and pull the linkage. :D

Tim failed to mention that it took until Thanks Giving to just get the garage clean enough to work in. Between him and my missus I have not had a moments peace since this thing came home.

I did get the mrs. beaner nod of approval on engine placement by the way. A bit of advice to you young bachelors, never ever marry the daughter of a hot rodder. :D

Chavezk21, Model T1, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the motor will be a great way to keep your feet warm too. your unknown time line sure is more reality than those so-called reality TV shows that completely build a car in one hour.

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. I am actually thinking about louvering the cowl so I can keep the ice off my windshield. :D

By the way while I am thinking about it I am going to be cutting the tank out of my cowl top for obvious reasons, and it is a good solid tank, of someone needs a good solid tank and has a good cowl top with a tank that is not so good maybe we can work something out.

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Well,well.Looks like ANOTHER fun build from the good folks on the HAMB.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Great another back yard build that will fall apart at 100mph :D I love the chevy small block my favorite. Im going on 8 years on my A. But I'm in the middle of raising a family so I'm not bothered by that.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well one thing about being married to a woman like that if she does not want to help with something on it you may want to step back and take another look you may be doing something wrong.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. She usually lets me know. :eek: :D

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Hey, at least you didn't lose the driving seat in a land speed roadster like I did
    She let me drive it the last day of El Mirage, but at least I was faster than her,,, don't tell her I said that!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hey Beaner,
    I've never seen a 9" housing hanging on pegboard before. Lol

25. On board for this adventure.......

26. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Well Beaner, after reading a lot of your posts I think this should be both educational and very entertaining. Since I won't be working on mine for a while I will sit back and enjoy this very much. Have fun with it. Scott

27. das858

das858

Can we expect to see it making passes at the H.A.M.B. drags in a couple years?

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  28. I was thinking and rethinking the SBC thing last night and have come to the conclusion that some folks like a ford in a ford, but an SBC would be more like a Frod in a Ford. I am just another one of those Fraud builders. :D

By the way you never really finish raising a family, we finally got our oldest granddaughter through high school about 2 years ago, now if she can only hold off on having babies until I finish this car . . . ;)

The truth be known I would like to be making passes sooner than that and if I can have her rolling and stable let the body be damned I'll run her rough the first time.

@Roothawg there are two cars that really inspire this build, consider this the street version of the Fly. I do hope that we both live long enough to play. ;)

pp[1].jpg

[​IMG]

Its a little narrow now but it is waiting for some longer tubes, a 31 spline Detroit and ladder bar mounts. If you catch my drift. :D

Oh and that keeps it off the floor for the time being. ;)

29. belair

belair

Gonig to pay attention to this one.

Ted Aulbur likes this.