Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Southern Employment Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jul 19, 2015.

1. southern Employment.jpg Now that is a mouthful. I drug this heap home today, and here are a few pics. Of note this was once a vehicle that was owned by an employment agency here in KC that offered baby sitters, maids, cooks gardeners, porters. You know the stuff that we all need.

Anyway here is a pic or two for your viewing enjoyment :rolleyes: :D View attachment 2956318 View attachment 2956318 tag.jpg wheel.jpg nailhead.jpg phone number.jpg

Oh yea give them a call if you have a need.

Kan Kustom, deto, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  2. I like it,gotta have more cow bell.er,photo's,,yeah,that's the ticket!

What's the plan? HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

what a tease we need more photos ,

knotheads likes this.
  4. So, you bought a wheel/tire, a tag, a nailhead engine and a sign?

5. indyjps

indyjps

I'll let ya babysit, hell of a commute though.

The pic link didn't work for me, what is it, what are you gonna do with it.

6. Ya know, it ain't right of you to tease us like this, Benno. I'd say you were being just a wee bit ornery. :)

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So... what year, model, make? Gary

8. It appears you gotcha yourself a model A tudor sedan, eh? Let see a "whole car" photo.

9. rockfish

rockfish

How 'bout backing up with the camera to give us the full picture? Looks promising so far.

10. Those pic links just showed up I have no idea what they attach themselves to.

I am peeling it off the trailer tomorrow and have to make room in the garage. Anyway I didn't want to take a whole pic on the trailer they never look right to me on a stretcher. :eek:

Plans? Hmmmmn so many ways to go, I think I will get the underpinnings right and go from there. I can go fender car or open wheel with what I have.

Anyway I am going to set the chassis up and go from their.

Pics of the car tomorrow and Rocky yes a 29 with a stock (ish) chassis.

maybe when I get full pics one of the photo shop gurus can clean up the signage.

volvobrynk and KCsledz like this.
  11. belair

belair

Cool. What size is the nailhead?

12. Benno.........I totally hate the look of a non-fendered model A tudor sedan with a chop because the quarter window looks sooo long. One day, my new Rodder's Digest came in the mail and it had a feature on a model A open wheeled sedan that had been chopped 4 inches. It looked great! Turns out the body had been shortened 4 inches between the door and rear wheel after the chop. Man! I drew a sketch of my 29 tudor with 4 inches missing from the top and the quarters...yep! Looked better with the proportions back in place.
    Just sayin.
    Now, a full fendered A sedan seems ok with a chop...go figure.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ryan! Benno's fuggin with us again!

14. Time to wakey wakey hand off snakey Sunshine,we need photo's. HRP

Hamtown Al and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Mom said "not in the head" now lets see some more pics.

16. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

So why no intake? Recently removed by looking at the new duct tape. The gas line looks nice and plugged with a mud wasp nest. Be careful, if you lower it to much you may need some training wheels for the generator. Looks like a great find have fun.

17. KCsledz

KCsledz

Nice score Ben! It will be fun to see what you do with it!

18. The nailhead is a 322 just like the one that brought me home from the hospital in the ol' man's Willys. It has me mildly torn at this point more on that when the next few pics come in. ;)

Rocky,
    I actually have almost enough to go full fenders, and lowered. I am a little undecided in chop or no chop. Maybe channeled and leave the fenders in the stock location. o_O:confused: For some reason in my head a 2" chop sounds good believe it or not, full hood whether it gets fenders or not. Unless of course it gets a deuce grill shell. Soooooo mannnny decisions to be made. :p I guess I am open to suggestions as always and maybe I'll even listen to some of them. :D:D

Well off to the driveway, I got to get it on the ground and stow enough of the pieces to make it fit in the garage. I am planning on keeping this one indoors. Of course I will have to build it on the driveway just because I have never owned a car that was built inside. :D

later fellas. I promise whole car pics today sometime.

OH @hotrod1948 I guess it had a 6x2 on it at some point, the mill was wrapped up tight in plastic with rags stuffed on the holes when I loaded it. The ductape happened in the driveway when it arrived at the porknbean mansion. It could end up with a 2x4 if I keep it anyone got a pair of WCFBs they want to donate? :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its interesting that a Southern car made it all the way up north to Missouri

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man goes on a road trip, buys a Model A with a nailhead of sorts in it and didn't even tell us where he stopped or pie.
    It does look interesting P&B.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. PB,

So what did you leave behind... I'm thinkin you got a stash and are holdin out on us

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. From what I understand he traded his Willys truck for the sedan. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Actually it was always a Missouri car. Remember the Mason Dixon line cut right through Missouri and the part of the state that was most effected by the abolitionists was KC. The greatest extent of the forced manual labor was on the Muddy Mo believe it or not. :D

Ok back to the garage I should be unloading the old heap soon then real pics.

24. Beaner, you got your local history dead right, and from the looks of it, you got a nice tudor, too. Can't wait to see where this goes. A 2-inch chop would look great, especially with full fenders and hood.

Also, that phone number: WAbash 3-6827. While I was growing up near Meyer and Prospect, our number was DElmar 3-6827.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My take on the company name suggests it was a Missouri agency that specialized in bringing domestic help and/or laborers from the south to the Midwest.

Ray

26. ... don't forget Tijuana tuck and roll ... maybe a hot rod sectioning (?) , two inches to match the chop ... better chop it four if that road taken ... colored glass ... and about that small journal high compression motor you've referred to a few times .... four speed ... yep, this one could be very fun sir. A very good reason to peer over the fence !

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. @Hnstray from what I have been able to find out they specialized in laborers or servants from the poor section in town.

Here are some pics it is going to need the lower 6" on both sides, the wood is pretty solid mostly needs a roof bow or two and a couple of pieces are missing but nothing that can't be cut from a piece of hardwood (or poplar).

The way it sits now it would make a good gasser. :D And for a point of reference the top door hinge is 13/4" so basically a little over 1 door hinge would be a 2" chop. I still have to look for the numbers I hope that they are someplace on the frame that is still in readable condition.

back full.jpg front pass three quarter.jpg pass side.jpg driver side.jpg rad and cowl.jpg

I do have all the fenders and some of the fender braces they could be salvaged, the side aprons not so much but I have them. and no boards. Some more parts are supposed to be coming my way I will see and go from there as to what I need to chase down. ;)

28. A Sedan = 4 1/2" chop! Here is one I did in the 70's Before and after photo's ModelA_0002.jpg

ModelA.jpg
    Vaun_0012.jpg