Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

winduptoy, Six Ball and 05snopro440 like this.
  2. So, Atlas couldn't help you? Man, that's horrible. Things are getting so precarious these days that if you don't pull the trigger on stuff, the business may no longer exist.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@osage orange i havnt called them yet. The shops here recommended I try them.

The Minnesota shops are a bit of a drive but I guess I could stop and see @Tuck

After chasing leads on leafs I’m truthfully leaning towards doing adjustable quarter elliptic. In the back of my head I’m a little concerned about jumping through hoops to get the main narrowed and then have it settle or bottom out once it’s on the road.

with the 1/4 springs I can put the axle in the exact same place but gain a couple inches of clearance. Right now with the spring over the axle the leaf/ hangers will hit first. With that out of the way I would gain all that room back.

still back and forth on it. Either option will get Pete and jakes ladder bars so I think my plan is to use some LG customs mock up brackets and leave cementing the spring til the end IMG_2792.jpeg IMG_2793.jpeg IMG_2794.jpeg IMG_2795.jpeg

Thor1, brEad, osage orange and 3 others like this.
  4. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Ha, I have a set of those LG brackets sitting on my bench waiting to be used. I was thinking much the same this week.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

For $40 it’s hard to beat lol

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Either I am seeing it wrong to there is very little travel between the frame and the axle.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You can space them out to make them taller and dial it in.

Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Tim, there is a spring shop right down the road from me that will re arch, make new- they made all the springs for my roadster and truck.

winduptoy, Tim and Six Ball like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball the bracket end up about 3” from the bend to the center of the arch that the axle tube sits in.

Measuring that same space I’m sitting around 4.25” and my 8” does not have 3” axle tubes so I think I’m going to buy like 9” of 2x1 box tube, weld a cap and nut in one side and cut a V on the other side.

sit the V on the axle tube and I’ll buzz a little tack on it to keep it put. Seems easier than stacking up spacers under/ above the bracket.

I could in theory clear the fenders being another inch lower but i like the heavy rake the car has right now. If I go with 1/4 spring in back I could set it up initially in the middle of adjustment so I could always drop it down a little or lift it up some if they sag.

I feel like @BigJoeArt springs settled some over the first summer so sitting a hair high to start doesn’t sound bad either

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Not much new going on. Got some ladder bars sourced and last week the banger left IMG_3056.jpeg and a 42? Banjo and tube arived! IMG_3057.jpeg It’s got the earlier brakes, no pan hard bar stud and looks narrower than a 46-8 to me. I’ll throw a tape on it later. Looks pretty perfect for the 32 rails. IMG_3058.jpeg Just missing a few of these bolts.

I’ll find some lug nuts and get some tires on it and the rears swapped around this next week/weekend.

been trouble shooting the 46’ so that might take it up any garage time but here’s to hoping

patmanta, drdave, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I hope the banger went to a good home. Possibly someone here who will use it?

winduptoy likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup! Buddies putting it in a 29? Plymouth roadster. Should be getting to that one this winter should be neat. Couple cars in line before it right now. IMG_5124.jpeg

drdave, Thor1, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice, I hope he does a build thread here. Is it on a Chevy frame?

winduptoy likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I believe it’s a Plymouth frame, he won’t be doing a build thread as he’s about armpit deep in 4 to 7 cars at a time. I’ll keep you in the loop though if ya want :)

IMG_3070.jpeg Got the 8” out so it can go in the A and the banjo under the 32 rails. Gonna be pretty cool. I did find the stud hole for a pan hard bar tonight. And that spring has zero tension on it so I’m leaning towards it being a 42

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    drdave, rjgideon, brEad and 6 others like this.
  15. I don't tune into this thread enough because every time I do It's like I'm watching a mini-series but only watching every third episode, so I generally know the plot but have no idea what's going on.. LOL

drdave, Six Ball, Tim and 3 others like this.
  16. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I’m also slightly confused - what are the 32 rails for? Are you swapping the body over to a deuce frame? Or is there another Model A body somewhere?

Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The 32 rails are for a different project, I just included it because the 8” that was under it is going under the A now that it’s stude powered

the T leaf on the A banjo will go onto the later banjo/32 rails and the 8” will get 1/4 ecliptics after much to much back and forth weighing options.

drdave, brEad, Tim_with_a_T and 3 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Though @Tim_with_a_T the plan is to sit the body on the 32 rails when I’m getting into the A chassis tear down. But just for rolling saw horses more or less

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I should put that on a t shirt

drdave, brEad, Tim_with_a_T and 5 others like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There is a lot of progress, much is circular rather than linear but it inches forward an engine and transmission at a time. :rolleyes: You're way ahead of me. I haven't even got enough put together to change my mind yet. :(

drdave, brEad, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  21. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I like the idea of using the rolling chassis as storage/body dolly while you go through the other chassis. Might have to steal that idea lol.

Tim and winduptoy like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Tim_with_a_T i mean it’s sitting right there why not lol

@Six Ball st this point it’s less a circle and more a domino effect causing nearly a start over situation.

the original drivetrain was so damn simple it was very easy to package and I started with empty rails. Very little to work around. With a stock valve cover I didn’t even need to bump the firewall.

I more or less build a stock chassis with upgraded brakes and a healthy drop to simplify it all.

the one change of a v8 Studebaker led to a cut front cross member, cut firewall, cut center cross members new motor mounts, trans mounts, ladder bars and mounts, new rear axle, rear suspension and rear suspension design, new rear brakes. Boxing the entire chassis

working around stock stuff and stuff I’d already modified to work with the 4.

I guess a circle would lead me to start all over at some point wouldn’t it lol.

what’s a guy to do when the car is finaly ready to blow apart and finish but to start all over. Geesh

Stay tuned as I grapple to find the plot line.

drdave, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  23. I’ll try not to miss more installments so I’m not the annoying guy that constantly needs to be caught up.

drdave likes this.
  24. Rand Man

Rand Man

I need to catch up too.

Tim likes this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'll be the annoying guy, but I check most days. It is more fun in real time. I really like this build.

drdave and Tim like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There’s a lot of extra stuff in this thread partially because of the “regulars” I know I’ll get some feed back from.

For now I’m making plans, measuring other cars and gathering bits and pieces. Car parts and tools, for the next round of digging into this car.

Hope ya’ll had a good Easter :)

nobody’s the annoying guy ;)

drdave, Bandit Billy and 05snopro440 like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looking forward to the new rear suspension. I'm planning on quarter elliptics for mine. There are several ways to do it.

Tim likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I’ve yet to see any conclusive information on set ups. But reading through threads and talking to people who have this set up I have heard what they’d have done different enough to feel ok about diving in.

as of now the idea is long Pete and jakes ladder bars ending around the forward U joint. A pan hard bar and the leaf packs mounted to the inside of the frame rails on the boxing plate with some gussets.

I think I can mock this up and weld the spring hanger on the boxing plate on a bench before welding the boxing plate in.

to attach to the axle I want to make a spring perch similar to what Rjays offers for a spring behind set up on the front of a car. Hanging the leaf off the wishbones. And then I’ll run a shackle from that to the spring eye trying to keep shackle angle around 45 deg when loaded.

I’ll set it up with the adjustment screw/ bolt pretty close to as low as it goes so when the spring settles I can raise the car back to wear it should be, or if we load the car down heavy and need a little room it seems to take only moments to lift the car with a wrench.

Thor1 and Six Ball like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_3105.jpeg This is what RJays offers for the front, they slip over the wishbone end and then get welded in place. Make the oval a rear axle tube diameter circle and you see what my plan is there.

patmanta, rjgideon and brEad like this.