Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm thinking about a triangulated 4 link sorta like these but using the quarter elliptics as the bottom links. So there would be no coil overs and no panhard bar. DSC01338.jpg 2011-11-13_15-00-18_75.jpg

OFT, Thor1, winduptoy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m largely going copy @Primered Forever set up other than the spring hangers on the axle tube. IMG_3112.jpeg IMG_3111.jpeg IMG_3110.jpeg

should get a good look at it in a few weeks at Pete and Jake hopefully. I’m gonna crawl under it with a camera and tape measure lol

patmanta, drdave, brEad and 6 others like this.
  3. 05snopro440

05snopro440

winduptoy, Tim and Six Ball like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Trying to get my head around the shackle thing. Some of the older systems didn't use them. Some also didn't work well.

winduptoy likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball I have a racing suspension book I may thumb through to see if there’s any notes to add beyond your typical ladder bar set up in regards to shackles and angle.

I’ve seen them laid nearly flat, and nearly bottomed out towards the axle. Both of those recommended I try a 45.

in my head 45 is the magic number because that’s what the traverse leaf set up wants and really with the ladder bars and everything else most of the travel, very little in a car like this anyways,
    Will be in an arch radiating off the spring center just like a straight axle / traverse spring set up does when it hits a bump.

over simplified but it’s close enough for me.

Thor1, winduptoy and Six Ball like this.
  6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

What about suspension articulation, like right wheel goes over speed bump and left wheel is on flat ground? Seems like there’s a high torsional load at the shackle mount right? Or am I thinking about that wrong?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Six Ball likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve thought of that but the same issue would exist more or less in a parallel leaf set up as well.

I would assume in a set up that has more travel, like the rock buggies that use a 1/4 set up, they would have some sort of pivot at the axle end.

but most hotrods have about as much suspension travel as poorly inflated air mattress so I have yet to see it be an issue.

8. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

It articulates just fine. No bind. Rides better than a coilover shock in my opinion.

Thor1, BigJoeArt, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  9. 05snopro440

05snopro440

The elliptics are going to lengthen and shorten as they move, like any leaf spring. In the design you're talking about I think that means changes in pinion angle as well as twist into the housing if only one side is moving. More investigation would be needed to determine if it would be problematic. Of course you couldn't run a shackle on the elliptics.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    BigJoeArt, Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  10. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Without shackles there would be bind. The spring would be pushing and pulling on the rearend working against the ladder bars. Shackles would be a must on this setup.

brEad, Thor1, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  11. 05snopro440

05snopro440

My comment was referring to the proposed design by Six Ball of using the ellipticals as lower links in a 4-link design, which mostly seems like a flawed idea as is.

As you correctly stated, with ladder bars and quarter ellipticals like you have, you are correct that you would definitely need the shackles otherwise it would bind continuously.

I wasn't advising against using shackles, just indicating that Six Ball's idea wasn't as simple a solution as it first appears.

12. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I agree. I responded to the wrong comment. Sorry!

winduptoy, Six Ball and 05snopro440 like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

brEad, Thor1, winduptoy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There are a few threads bouncing around about them being used as lower links. And I have seen a few built like six balls illustrations where the leaf has no eye and just rides in a box or pocket of sorts. I’ve seen similar stuff with torsion bars done.

I’ll crack a book today and see if there’s any relevant info.

winduptoy and Six Ball like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was able to clean up the pictures. There are options but how well they work is a question. I need to measure a main leaf and see how much the length changes.

brEad likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No luck in the book pertaining to this specifically.

I can tell you they do work well as I intend to use them.@BigJoeArt put over 10,000 miles on his car this summer that’s sprung this way on all four corners. Driving from dang near one end of the country to the other.

In October I road in the car and to be honest was shocked at the ride. Expecting harsh and ridged ride from something 2 inches from earth it actually felt like a sports car. Firm but not harsh, not jarring at all even blasting over expansion joints and bridges.

I then followed him in the 46 for hours and it never once did anything funny.

he did have some hardware breakage about half way through the season but I think there’s a good chance that’s because he needed to put a pan hard bar on the car which it was supposed to get this winter.

brEad, Thor1, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I wasn't questioning how well the system you are planning works. I was questioning the older ways to attach the springs. Through 1924 Chevys had quarter elliptics and no shackles. They had a closed drive line with a slip joint in the rear but the springs bolted to the axles. But they got away from that in '25.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    brEad likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball i know that’s why I had added the bit about how I intend to use them.

as you intend to use them I would bet Gimpyshotrods has some insight

winduptoy and Six Ball like this.
  19. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

I've gotta say I agree with @05snopro440.

While it seems like a good idea at first glance, and like there will be less moving parts, it unfavorably changes your pinion angle under load, acceleration, and decel, due to the spring stretching and curling, in ways that I cant imagine are good on u-joints or the brackets holding them.

the bushings in your shackles can take up some of the twist and binding in a normal setup, but by using the springs as links, and foregoing shackles, you give up the only flex in the system, asking your springs, to hold the car, take torsional load, and compression and stretching forces that they were not designed to do.

I've come to agree with a statement a buddy told me,
    "your springs should hold the car up, your suspension should hold it in place"
    My car will feel even more grounded once I install a Panhard rod on the rear. (and should stop snapping clevis's from side loading )

not trying to pile on @Six Ball here, just sharing the experience i've had, and the thoughts i've had while trying to figure out the same style setup.

If you want first hand experience, I'm pretty sure @Malcolm roadster is set up using the springs as links.

brEad, Thor1, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

BigJoeArt, "your springs should hold the car up, your suspension should hold it in place" I agree. Malcolm's build is where I got some of this. I'll leave this to Tm here and deal with it mine when/if I get there. Tim is on the right track for the A.

winduptoy, BigJoeArt and Tim like this.
  21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I haven't read all comments/responses, just what Joey tagged me in.
    Since I didn't use shackles in my triangulated rear quarter elliptical setup, I have broken a mounting bracket where the spring eye bolts to the rear axle.
    A 'Johnny Joint' inside the spring eye is an option I've considered to allow articulation with less binding. I've also considered adding shackles, ditching the triangulated links and adding ladder bars + panhard bar. Like the photo Tim posted earlier of Primered Forever's setup.

brEad, BigJoeArt, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks for the feed back @Malcolm if anyone would have real world notes on this set up it would be you.

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks Malcolm. That is great information about a quality build. Could you explain the "Johnny Joint" please?

24. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

[​IMG]

*quote from a motor trend article* "The Johnny Joint is a ball-and-socket joint, but instead of steel, the ball is encased in a urethane socket. The Johnny Joint is a Currie Enterprises innovation and is named after John Currie. This style of joint has become very popular and “Johnny Joint” has almost become a generic term."

Rock Jock is john Currie's company (of currie rearend fame)

its generally a more articulate, and serviceable joint.

brEad, winduptoy, Six Ball and 5 others like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

26. 05snopro440

05snopro440

They seem to be used a lot for off-road applications because of the increased range of motion.

Tim, Primered Forever and Six Ball like this.
  27. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I use them in my off road toy. I can vouch that they hold up well, even when severely abused, and still provide a smooth ride.

brEad, winduptoy and Tim like this.
  28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

They also make a Johnny Joint shackle mount. Likely a good option to use with the quarter elliptical / ladder bar setup.

Screenshot_20240403-191648.png

brEad, BigJoeArt, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey that’s cool!

winduptoy and 05snopro440 like this.
  30. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

^ I like that idea a lot better than something that can’t twist. Nice find!