Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Fest May 2010 - mark your calenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Sep 4, 2009.

1. scoop

scoop

John,that was the NSRA nationals Big Daddy was turned away from.I'm planning on coming down see ya then.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

DOH - sorry about that when I hear gigantic show in MN I immediately think of Back to the 50s - thanks for the correction!

3. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Hey John, you are really working it! I agree, it keeps getting bigger and bigger!

My wife and I are more than willing to help out where you need it! Don't know if we are camping or staying in a hotel. We will figure that out soon.

Congrats on getting the Asphalt Angel!

Clark

4. So do you have a volunteer list started yet?

5. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

yes we need volunteers!

we only have about 10 people so far............
    this is not NEARLY enough.

6. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

This past weekend while doing the Kansas City World of Wheels, I happened to luck into some old little pages -Car Craft and Rodding and Restyling etc.
    I cant resist those, and as I was looking through there was a photo of a car show award presentation.
    Big Deal right?

The thing that struck me was the different car clubs that were on stage presenting their picks..................
    and I thought that was a really cool idea.

Just so everyone knows... I am so ANTI trophy.......simply because I dont give a crap if I get any trophies.....cause I like my car even if you dont. And that is the deal - it is simply an opinion of what certain people think and SOOOOO many people get their feelings hurt if they dont get trophies. So that is why Vintage Torque Fest will not be giving out any trophies.

That being said - I think it would be WAY cool if each car club that showed up (like Los Punk Rods, Cheaters, Hoodlums, Vagabonds, Kropdusters, etc) would pick a car that they think is worthy of THEIR pick.

This would mean getting each car club to bring a trophy to the show and then at around 5 pm - right after the art auction to benefit helpinghannahsheart.org - we can present the car club awards.

I have a vision of 1 guy from each car club standing on stage wearing the club shirts/jackets and it would be a great photo/video op for the show video / possible magazine coverage that may happen.

This award does not have to be nice - it is simply a way to show everyone all the different car clubs that are in the area, and from how far out they all came (I suspect we are gonna have some Road Devils Detroit members in the house that weekend.) And this is a way we can recognize the different clubs that are out there.

I also dont care to pick categories (like the Voodoo Kings pick the best flames and the Tin Butchers pick the best metal flake etc) I think if 1 guy sweeps the awards from all the different clubs..........cool. Some of these shows I go to have 750 trophies and only 700 cars entered! This is NOT what I am after.....I am just trying to think of a good way to honor the different clubs that are showing up.

If any car club is interested - I will be glad to tell you more details on what I have to give back to the car club in return for their efforts.

Please email [email protected] or [email protected]

7. The car club trophy thing is exactly what Symco does at there show. That is a pretty cool idea!

8. It was kind of small last year, but we expect it to be much larger this year.....also we FULLY expect the Oliver Group to give a trophy.

John,
    I use a form site called WuFoo to build my mailing list. I just got done doing my volunteer signup. Feel free to copy my idea. www.wufoo.com.

You can see what it looks like if you click on the link in my signature.

9. I am very sure it will be much bigger this year!! And yes the Oliver crew will have an award for someone!!

10. only 10 so far? Hope that includes me and 27T! Surely more people will help right?

Brad

11. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I have actually had some emails from people telling me I dont need to worry about volunteers all that much - that it is only the first year and that people will give me some slack and that things will sort themselves out as the day goes on........................
    sorry if I dont feel the same way.

This show needs to be run as smooth as possible from the git go.

This is why I have already come up with the following teams needed:

there will be the initial funnel team - they will stand on the road........
    determining where to send the classics that cant be in the show (corvettes, mustangs, chevelles) (in front of the ballroom), the daily drivers (caravans and camrys) (way down by the grandstand end of the speedway), and of course the cars that are gonna get in to the show.

each place will have its own team helping park the cars..........

those that are parking outside will have to go through the ballroom to pay for the $5 admission to get the wristband that will let them see the show (access to the dirt track and the ballroom)

the cars that are going to get in to the show are then inspected by some people that are going to determine if those boyd coddington wheels are really "period correct"

if not - they will have to turn around and park with the other classics outside

If it is determined that the cars can get in - then the $20 entry fee will be paid by the car and the wristband will be given. If a person that has pre registered and already has their wristband and car entry info.....the guards still have the right to refuse entry to that car. This is why it is so important to send a picture when you preregister.

If the inspectors do say it is OK to enter then there will be a line for those that have no intention of going on the dirt - and those that may want the chance to hit the dirt track.

This will create yet another team to park the dirt track participants and those that do not want to make laps........

so you can see getting the flow of traffic down is going to be a key in getting this to run smooth and this can only be done with volunteers!

This is in addition to those volunteers that will be helping with the vendors, bands, wrist band checkers (gotta have a wrist band on in order to get in to the ballroom or the dirt track), shirt sales, etc

So again I hope that the community will come on out and help us run this thing!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  12. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

John,

Ive got my Calender Marked! Ive also got 2 Nice Posters on the Wall, thanks to Keven Carter!

13. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Just wanted to get everyone up to speed on what has been going on with us these past few weeks.

The big news is that Dennis Gage will be supporting the Vintage Torque Fest. He feels this is a unique
    event that deserves his support. We thank him for getting behind the cause. Now we need YOU!
    If you don't show up - then he does not get to get any good footage for the show. And you may miss your
    15 minutes of fame. So get the winter projects done a couple weeks early because April 30 will be here
    really quick.

The show is officially not set to start until May 1. But there have been SO many people stating they are
    coming in on Friday for the cruise and pre party.....we might as well start calling this a 2 day show.
    The My Classis Car crew may wind up wanting to ride with YOU on Friday night as we cruise on over to
    the Field of Dreams.......ya just never know.

All cars in the area are welcome to come out for the cruise.
    Muscle cars, stockers, cruisers, and bruisers - come on over to the Speedway at 5 PM on Friday night.
    After the cruise - we will meet back at the Speedway to watch the Afterdarks play for FREE at 9pm.
    Then Saturday morning - the real fun begins...........
    for that - see the site www.vintagetorquefest.com
    The show on Saturday is a all traditional hot rod show - if you are not familiar with this - please see the site.
    Thanks for everyone's support.
    This show is going to be a success because of people like YOU helping out.

Los Punk Rods from Kansas City, The Cheaters from Milwaukee, and the Chrome Czars out of the Chicago area
    all have helped out in so many ways that I can not begin to thank them enough.

And it should also be noted that Scary Larry from the Jalopy Showdown is to receive a big huge thank you
    as well. He never got annoyed when I was pestering him with all the questions about getting the show started
    way back in the summer of '09. So thanks Larry - I will see you at the Jalopy Showdown again this year!
    And all you East Coast people that tell me you wish there was something cool like the Hunnert Car Pile Up
    on the East Coast..........there is............www.jalopyshowdown.com

OK - last thing. Keven Carter from www.car-n-art.com has totally helped shape this show. I have asked
    him a lot of questions over the past few months and he has not been afraid to tell me what is lame and what
    is cool. All you people that say - "hey cool art work for the show" I can't take ANY credit for it......
    it is all Keven - he is a great guy and very professional - if you need graphic work done at a reasonable
    price - contact him.

I hope to see you all on April 30 or before.....I will be at the World of Wheels in Minneapolis/St Paul,
    Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines, as well as Lonestar Round Up and other local shows trying to get the word out
    about Vintage Torque Fest.

If you know anyone that would want to help promote the show - please email me at [email protected]

14. All I can say is freakin sweet! I cant wait for this show! Way to go John, looking forward to helping anyway I can

Brad

15. lanksta316

lanksta316
    from Des Moines

Count me in!! I'm so excited for this. Me and a few guys from work took the weekend off. We are loadin up the tents and headed that way. I hope to have a great time and meet some really good people. THANKS FOR PUTTING THIS SHOW ON!!!!!

16. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

anyone that needs to Pre Register at the Omaha World Of Wheels this weekend - please find me there - I will be hard to miss - I have a GIANT TORQUE FEST banner up behind my table.

I got quite a few pre reg from Kansas CIty and Minneapolis.......but only about 10 in Chicago.

I guess the Chicago people are going to play it by ear and see what the weather is like that day?

Well - just so everyone knows.....................
    the insurance company has agreed to letting us run the cars on Sunday if Saturday is a rain out.

SO

All the people who have been giving me static about "Why would you do this in May?" and "Dont you know it is gonna rain that day?"
    well......
    if it is a total rain out on Saturday - I hope most people will stick around on Sunday and we will run on Sunday instead.

THIS IS ONLY IF IT IS A COMPLETE RAIN OUT ON SATURDAY!

The insurance company says we can not run both days.

Perhaps in 2011 if the demand is great enough.......but let's get through 2010 first.

Thanks for all the support thus far and we have about 15 volunteers so far.

I need about 80.

Please email me at [email protected]

you will get free entry to the show with your car and a free shirt - the shift will be 2 hours long.

Seeya in Omaha or Des Moines at the World of Wheels!

17. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

The wife and I plan to be there all weekend! Will be packin the tent and campin out at the speedway. I don't have a rod built yet, but driving the daily out so if anyone in the Chicago, Rockford or Milwaukee areas want to travel together let me know!

18. Hey coolstuff, any updates on the show, its creaping right up on us. Have you locked down anymore volunteers yet? I working to drum up a few more on saturday for ya.

Brad

19. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Just got approval from the insurance company that a special exhibition of 4 or 5 ORIGINAL board track racers will be at the show. These guys typically only do this at the giant AMA show in Lexington OH and the Davenport Bike swap on Labor Day and a couple of other places around the country. So we are very happy to have them come to the Vintage Torque Fest and show us that these historic one of a kind pieces are still being driven - even though these are original one of a kind (very expensive) pieces.

Special thanks to Mike Lange and the Cheaters Car Club Milwaukee for arranging this.
    Another cool event coming to the show!

If you want to help us out- we need volunteers:
    http://vintagetorquefest.wufoo.com/forms/vintage-torque-fest/

20. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

KOOL I got to see these guys run at the Davenport show last fall. Lots of fun to watch.

21. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

This looks like a lot of fun! I hope I can get a few guys locally to head out there with me. It would suck to have too much fun without all my pals...

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I preregistered in Omaha World of Wheels. i`ll probally have to park next to a bunch of billet crap, but it will be worth it!

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

really? when?????? i wasnt even drunk..that much!!!??

24. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

The motorcycle show in September. Friday nite races. ;)

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

ahh! thought you meant at the flyin eyeball!! i feel better now!!!!:eek::D

26. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Thanks for registering at the show Stanlow - and you never know - your car may just be SO cool that it gets in anyway! (his car is a '69 Caprice I think)
    Ha

Thanks again and I hope you can come over and have a good time either way.

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

just got this email from Holiday Inn:

Mr. Wells,
    We just wanted to give you a heads up about the Torque Festival Group cutoff date. This Thursday, April 1, 2010 will serve as the cutoff date for your group; this means that any rooms that were set aside for your group that haven't been booked, will go back into inventory and will no longer be guaranteed with your group. We have your group arriving the weekend of April 30, 2010 and you currently have 11 rooms available for Friday night, and 10 rooms still available for Saturday, May 1, 2010. As of today, the hotel does have quite a few rooms still available for this weekend. So if there are reservations still needing to be made, we do advise that you make these as soon as possible.
    Best of luck to you with your group planning!

Thank you.
    Melanie
    Guest Services Representative
    --
    Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Dubuque
    2080 Holiday Drive
    Dubuque,IA 52002
    Tel: 563-556-4600

so if ya'll wanna take advantage of these discounted room rates - ya gotta call em up now.

Also - if you are needing ELECTRICITY for your camping spot - please call the speedway - I know they only have 40 electrical hookups so those are gonna run out as well.

Thanks for all the support this weekend at the GSTA and the Donnie Smith bike show in St Paul MN

We got a few more car registrations this weekend and some other news that may pan out in the next week or so - something I dont wanna talk about til its fer sure.

Hotels in Dyersville are sold out and so Dubuque is about the next best thing.

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

who is this "Mr." Wells?

29. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I sent my registration in a few weeks ago and reserved a camp site. Now just counting down the days till the show. Can't wait.

30. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

John, what if that is an ellaborate April Fools Day Joke?

Hey, my cats birthday (the gray one) is this Wednesday.

May 1st is going to be a fun fest as well as a torque fest.

Love,
    Cheatercarl

P.S. Please call me if you need anything done in this neck of the woods, also I have some requests for show posters from some of the local business dudes, they peeped my personal copy at the shop & wanna spread the sound.
    Stay real!