Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Undergoing body reassignment surgery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Fins, fins, fins!!!!!! :D

2. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Either version that you do will look good. Fantastic work!
    Tom

3. I like the fins alot. Makes the car look a bit exxagerated but will have folks wondering it it came from the factory like that.

4. Squablow

Squablow

For OahuEli, (or anyone else who wants to take a whack at it) Here's a pic without the fins for photoshop purposes, I think I got the angle right, or at least pretty close. The car is all wet and has leaves on it since it's pouring rain right now (had just long enough of a break to snap this pic) so if the angle is off or if it needs to be dry just let me know and I'll take another one.

Also I have both pics in a bigger resolution size so if those would help I can send them to you or post them or whatever, anything that makes the job easier. I'm super excited to see what you come up with.

[​IMG]

I also have a full set of '58 Ford Fairlane 500 side trim and I was thinking about eliminating the long body line above my rear wheelwells and running the Ford trim instead of the Chrysler stuff, but painting the insert area black instead of having the gold anodized inserts. I think it would really work with the fins and it reminds me of an exaggerated set of '60 Dodge Dart Phoenix side trim so I don't think it'll look out of place. Not sure if that's something that could be added in Photoshop but this is the best pic I could find of it with a similar angle.

[​IMG]

If it isn't going to look right, I won't do the fins or the side trim, but I really feel like the look is there, it could be so right, the car could be a real standout. I can't wait to see some ideas.

5. Algon

Algon

Really cool project, I like both but with the fins I think you need to do more to the car to tie it together.

I'm sure you thought of this but what about just raising the stock quarters to create fins while keeping the OE body lines and tail lights. It would give a slightly wilder look while keeping with the "could be stock" appearance it has so far.

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

nooooooooooooooo fins sorry and I know its your car

but your friends told ya not to go out with that fat chick too didnt they

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

The fins look really good, BUT it makes it look like a 57' Caddy from behind.
    Which of course isn't a bad thing.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely it's your car, so do them. I'll do my best to source another down here and do it my way now that you have shown that it CAN be done. Sure would have been cool in more of the factory high performance stealth mode though...

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think this is close to what you have in mind. I dropped & trimmed the fins to flow more with the body line and cleaned up the side like you mentioned. The Ford trim was stretched a bit to fit your car so I don't know how the real thing will fit. Lowered it a little too. Oh yeah, I also cleaned up your yard a little bit but couldn't find your rake. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. ARNIE

ARNIE

Yaa Baby!! Nice job, OAHUELI!! I'm diggin the lower fins!!Rock-On!! Arnie

11. zapp69

zapp69

Yeah looks much better with the Trim and lower fins. nice work making something cool out or a more door

12. '61 Dodge also has the small taillight right at the base of the quarter. The lights I suggested actually are kind of tacked on - after complaints the small ones didn't show up very well they made up the round ones, a few years ago I had an NOS retrofit kit that never got used that explained it all, even had a template to drill the holes.

From the look of that, I think either one would work, the shape seems to be the same. In fact, I think the full size Dodge (880) went to more or less the same quarters in '62 as a Chrysler, with a different taillight in the same hole that wraps over the top of the fender.

13. Squablow

Squablow

This is so perfect, how can anyone argue with that? Now that I go back and look at the car and the quarters, the cut lines are more obvious to me too. The pic makes me not want to have tail lights at all! Will definitely be doing the lower profile finned quarters and the side trim (which looks even better than I'd imagined) I think that really ties it together. Can't wait to get started!

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks guys, I like the way it turned out as well. Looking forward to seeing the real thing!

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

BINGO! Lower fins look best! Do it!

16. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

Try P.S. ing some lower/shorter 60's Caddy kinda fins for a more subtle not Batcar look, just to see. Or don't:)

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

18. Squablow - I'm really diggin' the "lower" fins and the '58 Ford Fairlane 500 side trim in OahuEli's photoshopped image ... but admit I'm no expert when it comes to "body reassignment surgery" ... so I asked Chaz Bono for her/his opinion as she/he was walking out of DWTS rehearsal ... here's her/his reply:

[​IMG] :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. S.F.

S.F.

Yes Fins!!!!....62's are kind of like a hot chick with no tits. i get all let down when I walk around back and theres no fins.

20. Squablow

Squablow

Chaz Bono approved! You don't get that kind of endorsement every day.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very cool OahuEli nailed it ! I told ya he is good!!

22. Way, way cool!

23. I'm really liking that flow of the lower fins. I know it's going backwards to reference 57's, but I always like the smoother flow of the 57 Chryslers than the other Mopars that year. This reminds me of those. Me likey! :)

24. Dragon Wagons

Dragon Wagons
    from SLC, Utah

Sooo. I don't see any taillights you are going to have some right what's the idea there?

25. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure yet, I'm tossing around a few different ideas. I just needed to get a visual of the fin profile and the side trim first, I think once it starts coming together in the sheetmetal I can play around with some different tail light ideas.

Probably something smooth and not too big since it looks so good without anything at all in the picture. I'm considering 50 Ford bezels with Lee lenses, one on each side right where the fin "crotches". The '61 Dodge ones in the lower pan are another option, I know where I can get some and I think they'd follow the shape of the pan perfectly.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Awww shucks! Thanks Steve! :D I'm going to try both tail light ideas and if I come up with something I'll post 'em. Or maybe something in the bumper?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here are the Ford taillights. I added the spear looking thingie because it looked kinda funny without it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And with the '61 Dodge lights.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Obviously these are not exact scale, but hopefully close.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. Erwin

Erwin

Yeah! The low fins & Fairlane trim. Way to go.

29. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Since I own a '61 Dodge 2dr Post I was really gettin into this Car ...........

'Till you pulled the Fins out .... That just Ruined the Look of the Car.

Coulda been a Very Nice Mild Custom or Factory Race car deal, But now it just looks like it Popped of the cartoon "CARS"

Sorry Man ..... Just my opinion

30. kirby1374

kirby1374

Those fins would look killer on a hardtop. The two door sedan you have just created looks great as a racer.