Register now to get rid of these ads!

History US Mule #1

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mule Roadster, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

I Just came into the possession of a 32 Ford Roadster with some drag car history. Built and raced by Don Noyes in the late 50's as the US Mule #1. I am familiar with the story of Noyes MGH Mule #2. I'm interested in the complete restoration of this car because I believe it has some nice history. If you recall this car and have some knowledge I'd like to hear it.

The37Kid likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics - search for thread here from 2010 by Smokey Stover: Does Anyone Have Pics Of The US Mule From The 60's

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. Channelled car blown Chrysler? Post some pictures I would like to see what it looks like. What did you get with it as far as race parts?

4. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

Just received the hard file containing some old pics. I'll scan them soon and post what I have.

5. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

Noyes converted this car to a daily drive then to a street rod. I was lucky enough to get the entire car that he built. The 2nd owner traded a Corvette for the car and he only changed the paint and the interior upholstery. Still have the old drag pipes. Also have the 392 Hemi Noyes put in after he changed out with the MGH. Still has the Lincoln brakes. Kinda of an exciting car.

oj, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  6. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

yes channeled (but not in the typical method it seems) and yes gm super charger (blown)

loudbang likes this.
  7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

8. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

Overalls were the fire suit in the early early 60's!

deadbeat and loudbang like this.
  9. Roadsterholic

Roadsterholic

Very cool. I first saw that Roadster in real life, Lebanon Valley Nostalgia Drags October 83.. later it was in The Albany museum, At the time the museum had about a dozen old race cars on display. During that time period the car was painted an awful burnt orange metallic. Street Rod color at the time. other than that it was pretty original to it's old build. I had heard it got unearthed and bought cheap in the early 80s.... that is a great car. There is a pictiure of it in Square Roll Bars....

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

yep, Noyes built it top to bottom as a drag/Ice and whatever car as I understand then retires it to his daily driver and then best I can tell a late 70's early 80's street rod. I have begun to rebuild the hemi and take the car back to the exact look in the trophy photo from say 60/61'?

Attached Files:

11. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

When the US Mule 1# was Noyes daily driver.. What a time.

Attached Files:

12. oj likes this.
  13. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

I know I can't tell. I know I got a 392 hemi with the car and Noyes did the last drivetran best I can tell. I assumed/read when Noyes put the hemi in the Mg from Mule 1 he replaced it with another hemi.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Well an ardun is a hemi. Just a flathead hemi.:) Where do you think Chrysler stole the idea from. Lol

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

learn something every day is what i say.... thanks!

16. joee

joee

the mule that was a 32 roadster street rod i'm pretty sure had 3- 4v carbs on top of the blower. the mg was a real race car ....and aa/msp .....don was from the my area and of course every kids idol. later in life don sold the mule 2 to a mutual friend and put a sbc in . I raced it a couple of times with my front motored sling shot and the mule would do big wheel stands.....that's when racing was fun. that car was sold to a guy that was going to restore it to an original real mg.....never heard but I doubt that ever happened

loudbang likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I hope you plan to do a period perfect restoration, Don built cars that RAN, not show cars. I never got around to doing anything with the MG U.S.Mule II but it sure was fun being caretaker for it. Bob DSCF7311.JPG

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! Please send me a "Conversation" with your address and I'll send you copies of these photos. Bob DSCF7313.JPG DSCF7312.JPG

rod1, NHRANUT, tomkelly88 and 4 others like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

All these photos were taken at Dover Drag Strip, check with Dino at the Dover website, they will have more photos and info. Bob DSCF7314.JPG

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last photo, not a good one, but it does show the hood and all the patches over holes were Don had run things in earlier tests. The guy was a master at building stuff without investing a lot of money. I got all these Mule photos from Tom Shay who ran a rail at the time. Bob DSCF7315.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  21. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm speechless. You absolutely made my day and some. I'm new to this thread stuff but I sure wish I knew how to convey to you how I was fortunate enough to end up with this particular roadster.

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Great find and good to hear you are going to save some history. Way too many drag cars lost to bad intentions.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  23. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I think it would be ok to improve the roll bar in your restoration. Cool car and story. Congrats

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Memory says Noyes and the car are mentioned / pictured a number of times in Bernie and Arnie Shuman's book ; "cool cars / square rollbars"... there are 2 releases, a hardcover and later a paperback...
    new england drag racing from the early '50's till the mid '60's...

25. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

I am getting more and more remarkable stories and pictures than I imagined. Sunday I couldn't tell you the difference between a thread and a string. Now I can say this thread is going to get me some great help returning this car to its glory day stance.

cactus1 likes this.
  26. Mule Roadster

Mule Roadster

EF58E69B-053C-4EAF-A324-BF82072BA381.jpg Early something bad ass!

27. sure looks like an ardun head set up too me.

28. It even has flathead style chrome wire looms.

29. alchemy

alchemy

Can't say I've ever seen an Ardun powered 32 roadster with snow chains on all fours before!

kiwijeff and Shaun1162 like this.
  30. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that's pretty wild. I'd guess ice racing?