Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What Coil for 8ba

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big_Red, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Hi!
    Ok, embarrassing. Was troubleshooting my wiring Sunday and after not finding the problem I accidentally left the ignition on :( burned up the coil. I was standing out there still and heard the popping and saw the smoke start pouring out. Disconnect everything quick (snips) l

so my question, does it matter what coil I buy? This one didn’t really have any markings. Just a black coil. Completely original engine, upgraded to 12v w 3 wire alternator (previous owner).

what do I check in the distributor other than filing the points.

thanks guys. And feel free to roast me if you want. :DRed

2. alchemy

alchemy

Roast you, like you roast coils?

GordonC and Flathead Dave like this.
  3. Oneball

Oneball

Do you have a ballast resistor or not?

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Per Bubba's (RIP) advice I run a Bosch blue coil on my 8ba converted to 12 volts with one of his Chevy distributors.

Budget36 and Mr48chev like this.

5. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Just any 12 volt coil

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't help you with HEI. Mine is a point unit.

7. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

How would I tell if it is a ballast resistor? Or HEI? My knowledge is 1 year if automotive 30some years ago and picking things up here and there. I’ve made a couple sets of custom plug wires, replaced the coils in two modern vehicles. but weirdly enough never seen inside a distributor cap.

red

8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typical ballast resistor is a white ceramic rectangle, ~2"-3" long.
    sum-g5218_xl.jpg

Budget36 likes this.
  9. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

BOSCH Blue 12v Internal Restistor VW.

10. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Oh, where in the wiring would the resistor show up? I have something on my fender that has 4 wires attached to it. But other than that I don’t think I have one.

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The unit with the 4 wires on it is likely the starter solenoid. Ballast resistor is usually mounted on the firewall. Filing the points may not be enough, I would buy new ones
    Good luck and keep us posted

12. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Any universal 12 volt coil from your friendly neighborhood parts store. You can eliminate the ballast resistor by buying a coil with an internal resistor. With external resistor - hot wire from the ign switch goes on one end of the resistor and wire to the coil on the other end then to the distributor. Internal resistor - hot wire direct to the coil. On a 12 volt system, the hot wire goes to the + side of the coil. the distributor is the ground. ( - ) Post a picture here, please, so we can confirm.

Toms Dogs likes this.
  13. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Hi guys,

I have a wire from under the dash, I think wired to the starter button or maybe the fuse panel. Can’t remember even though I wired it. Then another wire goes from there to the bottom of the distributor. Looks like this

Attached Files:

14. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Regarding points I know I can find a video in replacing them but are they universal do I need to find a way to id the distributor

15. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Shoot. Cool says “external resistor” but you all see how the wires are. Could there be a resistor somewhere in my new fuse panel (rebel 9+3 kit).

Attached Files:

16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Not likely - Take a look at the picture in post #8 above. The resistor is a relatively large device and produces a lot of heat - hence the ceramic case around the resistive element.

Also - Take a good look at the condition of the points in the resistor - There is a strong chance that the contacts are burned.

Russ

Budget36 likes this.
  17. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

I will look again but couldn’t find the resistor before. I swear guys. Can a system run without it?
    I can’t figure out how to remove the rotor, which Napa suggested I replace. But I did get the point off. They say fd808ixv on em which I guess is a model. But to my untrained eye they look ok. They were burned together.
    Sorry guys I do know someone local I can ask for help, but im trying to avoid my brother, it’s Our car, from knowing since it’s embarrassing

the rotor says fa67, I don’t mind spending the money If I should replace it too. But again, I couldn’t see a screw to remove it

Attached Files:

18. Budget36

Budget36

The rotor should pull straight up and out.
    You will have to set the points gap with feeler gauges, or use a dwell meter. Both ways require the specs needed to set and adjust.
    Curious. What engine is it?

Also, if points and a coil, it should require a ballast resistor if 12 volts.

Well, assuming you have a 1.5 ohm coil.

19. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Yes, the engine will run {for a while} with out a resistor {NOTE: We are still talking about an ignition coil with a "USE EXTERNAL RESISTOR" warning}. The "EXTERNAL RESISTOR" limits the current through the ignition points and the ignition coil. Without this resistor, both will burn up due to the high current {high current causes more heat}.

Russ

20. BJR

BJR

Look on the inside of the firewall in the passenger compartment for the resistor. It may be behind the dash somewhere.