Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's all this noise I hear? The September banger meet, that's what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny69, Sep 1, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Good for you!!! well done so far!

2. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Not a great deal here either - but MOT this Saturday:( How I hate that annual inspection, why I don't know, just do.

I hope everyone enjoys the Hot Rod drags, don't think my pennies will stretch to it, as we're off to the left coast of the USA at the end of September into Early October.

Hoping to visit the Corando Speed Festival and a few other Model A things over there and may be win my fortune in Las Vegas...:)

3. gotmark73

gotmark73

4. My new secret weapon.... ;)

[​IMG]

5. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

You got the block to go with it?

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

If I had the block to go with it, I'm not sure I'd be showing you a photo of the head...:D
    What's happening there, Clark?

Sorry Phil, I've only got the pics of the blocks you've got.

7. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

What's happening there, Clark?

??????

Sorry Phil, I've only got the pics of the blocks you've got.

??????

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. Ask crazydaddyo on this thread regarding H&H.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  9. Show us the other side!!

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I just noticed that there was some unknown liquid that appeared and felt slick, like oil or coolent around two of the nuts on the head bolts. Head bolts numbr #7 and #8 in the torque sequence is where this substance is being noticed.

Could this be a failing head gasket?
    A cracking in the head at these two points/areas?
    Maybe both?

It did seem that there was a little bit of a greenish tinge to the liquid which would indicate coolent,....

Would like some educated guesses here fellas,..thanks in advance as always!!

Oh and I'm running a repro Winfield aluminum head also....

11. Its coolent, no oil on the top side of a flathead!

The head stub bosses are in the water jackets and sometimes they leak. when they leak, the coolent travels up the head stud. I think it picks up some combustion blowby on the way up which is why it has that oily feel and look to it.

I used to have the same thing. Now I give the head studs a smear of sealer when I put them in as a precaution and I've never had it again.

12. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yeah and it didn't help that the nuts on the head needed a good re-torque either! HA!
    i set it at 55 ft. pounds of torque,....I've heard 50, 55 and 60 lbs of torque,..so I go in the middle. yeah those particular two were real LOOSE compared to the others!!

13. Unfortunatly or fortunatly (?) its just the head.

I wanted a new flathead and this most be the best one on the market. The quality is top notch.
    It uses a standard Model A/B head gasket. The head is slightly taller than a conventional one so you have to run special head bolts. These came from ARP and are top quality as well.
    I'm going to tweek this head here and there but its pretty much ready to run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the whole package from Piranios in Texas. I STRONGELY recommend you think of these guys on your next Banger stock or performance items. They are the most helpful, efficient people I have ever dealt with unlike some suppliers.
    I also got my big valves from these guys a couple of years ago.

Check out their website, www.modelaparts.net for the pictures, speciality parts, dyno pulls and loads more.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should check in more often! Put me down for large T shirt. Has anyone else given any thought to how much time someones wife or girlfriend will spend explaining what Bangers and HAMB are when they wear one of these T shirts?

15. About readyy to pull my Banger out of the doner frame.

I would take a Large Tshirt!

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Nothing to report this month...running up and down mountains carrying heavy packs looking for elusive animals with big antlers taking up far too much of my weekends!

17. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

still gathering speed parts for my banger motor getting ready for machine work but count me in on a shirt.

one medium
    thanks

18. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Hey Michael e that speedster that is your inspiration is the one that got me thinking about building a banger motored car. In fact the owner lives just a few miles from me and he has been a lot of help. I have been collecting parts for a couple of years and finally got a body this past spring. Now I just need some more parts and more free time.
    Scott

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'm waiting for the repairs on the HAL head

Had a small Heart attack last week but should be able to get the B motor outta the Miller with help of friends here. Maybe then I can post some photos of the chain starter set-up

I'm going to Eisenach for a small rally this weekend. This 30 years ago is where my adventures in Eastern Europe began.

Always carry asprin with you! I chewed two and sprayed Nitro in my face the Heart problem stopped in it's tracks. Dr says no side effects. But I took action as soon as I felt this! Please listen to your body. So many die!

Sorry to preech but not really I've lost so many friends

20. Glad to know you're okay Bluto!

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bluto,
    Sorry to hear of your health problem. Hope everything mends well.
    Will there be further tests? Maybe Angioplasty?

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Guys I have over 100mm of stint in me.

This has plagued me for a long time. I'm OK honest.

Travel to Bonneville was just hard on me.

I want to get going on the Miller and get the motor out. Like I said I sit and watch, and let others wrestle with the hard stuff.

I'm hoping that we can get the motor out and field striped this month.

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Does anyone know where I can get a dual Stromberg intake manifold for a Rutherford OHV head.
    The one below is for dual Winfeilds, and I would rather run dual 97's.
    I think Joe Gemsa made a version of this head too and I think those would fit too.

[​IMG]

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

25. Well - I did have an 100E engine sitting over Bob's you can have for the scrap money!
    Time to shoehorn a bigger banger in I reckon! Ernie looked into putting a Go-devil engine in his Y.

Belcher's crammed some V8-60 pistons into an 100E engine one time - ran like stink apparently till it went bang....

26. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

They aren't that much bigger. I reckon they would go in the standard casting if you got lucky, otherwise with a set of liners. Not sure how far I can take it this time. This will be the third rebuild... but I hear the 100E is a lot stronger.

Bluto, I'm shocked, please take it easy.

27. Michael_e

Michael_e

Hi Scott, That is one cool speedster, ain't it!!! Any chance you could get some pics of the suspension, front and rear, and heck, any other interesting pics of it? The ones i found don't show too much detail. I'm interested in the front suspension and how it was done. Was the chassis based on a T or A frame?
    Mike

28. Have you talked to Vic King about intake manifolds? Joe Gemsa used Vic"s patterns.

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    Do you have any contact info for Vic?

30. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i know theres a few of you guys running around with these stock looking model-A's with the slightly hopped up motors.... you all seem to be having alot of fun
    I'm just wondering how the car feels compared to a fenderless roadster
    I've been dreaming of building my brookville 32 roadster with a hopped up B motor on a basically stock chassis, no fenders, etc... a late 30's hot rod
    well now i may have the oppertunity to trade the body for a 5 window coupe... a real one
    i've never been a "coupe" guy but im thinking maybe building something like you guys have... full fendered, unchopped, basically stock with a hopped up motor, might be alot of fun to run around in and not worry so much about weather and other things like that
    plus...its the almighty REAL 32 ford then as opposed to a brookville which i hate to admit, but it does make a difference to me with it being "real henry ford steel"(atleast what will be left after patching it up

my concern is the weight difference from a fenderless roadster to a full fendered coupe...will it feel like a dog?

opinions welcome.......
    im not looking for $$$ comparisons... just if anyone has any personal expericne with the weight differences, etc
    thanks
    Zach