Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's all this noise I hear? The September banger meet, that's what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny69, Sep 1, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

PS.

What do you guys say about a GEMSA ground "B" cam done BY GEMSA himself before he died for, $150 bucks?? I was thinking of picking it up.

The duration is unknown but the lift measures at .340

It was ground about 20-30 yrs ago and never used. Also, has the ends of the main oil grooves welded & turned back down, in order to maintain pressure on the cam mains.

2. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

I re-did the helicoil. Looks better now. Sunk it in one thread and the top thread in the head countersunk slightly as recommended:

[​IMG]

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Looks lot better don't fotget to chanfer the rest of the stud holes :)

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

I think I found the source of the knocking. Here's what I scooped out the sump, thumb in there for reference :D

[​IMG]

That looks like a whole white metal surface to me! Number 3 big end was VERY loose and on closer inspection it's completely come off:

[​IMG]

Looks like the nuts got pretty hot. They were still torqued down but the nylon has melted out on that rod:

[​IMG]

Number 4 is pretty manky and didn't have long left:

[​IMG]

5. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Jonny..... There is a replacement for the 103 con rod with proper inserts.

I think you can even get VP3 material ......that Clevite 77 to you guys in the US. I've some here in the stuff but GOD ONLY KNOWS WHERE.

7. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

It's cool for now because I found another engine to use. Luckily there is still an abundance of them over here and they all have the same bottom end from 1934 to 1959. Do you mean use the material to turn up some bearings myself? There's an idea...

It's been commented on about the nylocs but I think it was the heat from the failure that melted them. They were still torqued up fine. The other 6 look brand new, like perfectly white no heat has affected them brand new.

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

BMC Used nylocks in the Cooper S motors if you used anyhing good the studs would fail

No Vanderville did a replacement replacement shell for the early rods.

9. OK, need a new browser to upload from Photobucket on my Mac but I found something interesting at work today.

New job is dispatch at a bulk carrier (we haul cement powder and fuel). We use engine powered blowers to move the powder. They are an engine of some sort with a HUGE Roots type blower (must be =20-71) to generate the force to unload cement.

We have an old Ford powered one that the block cracked on. I had a suspicion and went out to look at it after work tonight. What I found was a A or B based Industrial engine with an OHV head on it. Looks identical to my A. Tag says 172cid. I will try and get the pics to show at some point.

Anyone know about this beast?

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

lots of bangin' at my place this weekend
    saturday i traded my brookville roadster body for this pile of parts that look like a coupe, set it together on my B chassis
    gona build a stock coupe pretty much, just hopped up
    like the one on page 46 of hop-up annual #4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cyber lowered...
    [​IMG]
    sunday i picked up this chassis, bolted a roadster cowl and an aircraft seat on it...gona build a car if i stop driving it for a few minutes!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

forgot, i have a question, on the stock A with the updraft zenith carb, is there a trick to starting it? getting the fuel to suck up in there atomized correctly?
    i read about all the levers and knobs and whatnot, and it fires like a charm if someone shoots some carb cleaner in it.... but i have a hard time starting it normally just on the fuel supply?
    any thoughts?

it runs real good once its going, just the starting is the problem
    updrafts are foreign to me

thanks

12. SUHRsc, Turn your choke rod a 1/4 to half turn and pull it out while cranking the engine over. Release it after it starts. If it doesn't start right up you will flood it very quickly. Also, the advance lever on the left should only be down a couple of notches, then when it starts move it about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down.

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks, i figured i am flooding it over every time, if it sits it usually starts
    i'll fool with it tomorrow some more
    i took the carb apart and everything looks like new inside, do you still pull the choke when its hot in order to create suction to pull the fuel in?

14. It should start when it's hot without the choke. If not, I pull the choke rod up real quick and let it go immediately when I crank the starter. It should start real easy.

15. Zach, you are having "WAY TO MUCH FUN"!!!:eek:LOL Love the new projects. Especially like the seat mount.;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  16. davesville

davesville

exactly the way i feel.thanks for posting the video zach.sometimes i forget how much fun it is to get an ole jalopy running . dave:)

17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Zach, coupe looks like it will be real nice! I want to do my B Woody the same way, a stock vehicle with some mods. How are you going to lower the front. I'm kinda new to this, so I'm looking for ideas. And is what you've got on the engine now, how it will end up?

That chassis looks like alot of fun:D
    [​IMG]

18. retro54

retro54
    from PA

[
    sunday i picked up this chassis, bolted a roadster cowl and an aircraft seat on it...gona build a car if i stop driving it for a few minutes!
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Zach.... we need to get a track in the Piketown so that you're not ruining your dad's pretty lawn!.... darn we need a track.. and about 200 acres of ground... I gotta get over there to play soon!

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Dripping updraft isn't floodin' :D

Just dripping

Gravity isn't nice but it's the LAW

20. Zach, A good friend of mine just bought a 32 3 window coupe body and frame and paid $17.000. It has been stored outside for 40 years and he is going to use a crane to get it out of the guy's back yard. Hr is a serious car guy and feels like it was a fair price considering cost and wait for a new 3 window.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

my plans are just to remove a bunch of leaves, reverse the main and call it a day, the back is a bit harder as i dont know that anyone reversed the eyes in the past on the curved spring (i need to do more research)
    but i also want to try to correct the wheelbase problem and get the axle back a little to be centered in the wheelwell
    i think you can get it pretty low without modifying the frame or anything and still have the mechanical brakes all hook-up ok
    i need to look into it more though... only had it together for about 5 days now! :rolleyes:

the engine sitting in there is just a bare block, i have a cast iron winfield head to run, a different older looking intake without all the fins and a mallory ignition...i think its all old pre-war stuff
    i have a stock rebuilt B motor to put in but it'd be nice to really work one over for it....but keep as reliable as possible
    im thinking 3.54 rear with 28tooth cluster in the B trans and then a 39 shifter assembly

and yes... the chassis is ALOT of fun!
    too bad i have to build it into a car! haha

bill, if you figure what i have into a repro roadster body and then the frame and axles and whatnot....im probably into this for 14,000 so far (buying and selling though, not out of pocket.... im just a poor boy)
    but luckily the frame and all is really nice stuff
    just gona be ALOT of work to get the body into shape, unchanneled

22. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

ok, got the whole starting thing figured out...thanks for those who offered help
    only need that choke for a second or 2 let it in and she fires right up!

tried adjusting all the brakes only to find the reason they werent working good was a weld on the E-brake ring on the right rear was causing the normal brake pivot to drag inturn leaving all the brakes dragging slightly
    got everything fixed up and adjusted as even as i could, seems to stop pretty good now, but i wasnt going too fast
    never knew these stock A's would be so much fun
    and as i suspected....the mechanical brakes are a joy to work with...make more sence to me then the juice jobs... i can actually fix a problem here with wrenches!

i think i might have to get an orange triangle for the back and call this a tractor...its a stretched doodlebug right???
    i wana get it out on the road! :D

23. VanHorton

VanHorton

theres always cool stuff going on in the banger thread. Im diggin the deuce zach. and you gotta keep us updated on the model a! looks liek a blast. build a speedster! haha

24. davesville

davesville

zack get it sorted out on the road.i know everyone wants videos on demand but i think with a little time and a little tinkering we could see this chassis at speed(not something you see everyday)good luck dave

25. RussTee

RussTee

i had a nasty scare today my hand brake broke off at the bottom weld after i had it chromed they polished the weld away where it joined the casting alway check after getting anything like that done

26. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Zach, that is very cool. Thanks for the video. Hopefully next month I will be posting pics of the touring.

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

how are the sizes running ? are they on the small or large side ? want some for sure ... thx .. steve