Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the deal with this spray on chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Nov 5, 2009.

1. cretin

cretin

Anybody ever messed with this stuff? Does this stuff actually work? I am pretty skeptical, but don't really have any info on it. Sorry if it's been covered before but I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

*Edit* Found a few threads on it but nobody seems to know much, looks like alot of speculation. Would like to hear from someone who has actually messed with this stuff.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    ls1yj likes this.
  2. phukinartie

phukinartie

Hey its on youtube so its gotta be true :D

It really seems like alot of layers of "material" though and how durable too?

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have seen it at SEMA and it looks pretty good. However, it is just paint and has the same problems as paint. If it chips, it looks like shit and it takes special equipment to spray it and the equipment is very expensive.

4. Pretty cool, bet it's pricey!!

5. chopped

chopped

Know of a guy that quit his job and went into the business. He's starving.

6. looks impressive, like everyone else though, i'd like to know more. there are some impressive pvd coatings also.

7. SloW8

SloW8
    from Utah - USA

We had a polished aluminum car at SEMA a few years ago. A couple months later pictures of it showed up on a web site for a chrome paint company. They claimed it was their paint. D-Bags.

8. it works like spray on hair , it will cover but its just not quite right!

9. ugotpk

ugotpk

I used it to do some bezels for my dash. It doesn't really look like real chrome. But it isn't. They turned kind of a tarnished look and came out very nice. The look for what it is, was great. As any project. Do it well. Sand, primer, sand again. spray some good coats. I also clear coated them. UGOTPK $8.00

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

sprayed my whole car with it...

Attached Files:

• 36-3.jpg
      36-3.jpg
      File size:
      101.4 KB
      Views:
  11. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Ohhh...looks like Luke's daddy upgrades to a chromed braincap.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  12. BenW455

BenW455

Watch the first video I call BS.

13. slepe67

slepe67

wasn't there a guy at SEMA who had multi-colored chrome??? I don't think I would go that route. I may look nice for a bit, but, nothing beats chrome, period. 'cept maye some flat black paint, a Mexi Blanket, and some red wheels...haha

14. I have a friend that just bought a SpectraChrome system, I went with him to see samples. The SpectraChrome people took the time to tint the "paint" with the proper amounts of black and purple to look like chrome, and not look tarnished or nickle or like polished aluminum. The Alsa stuff sucks compared to this stuff...

I will be having a few pieces of my daily driver late model truck done soon... bumper, grill and wheels, so we'll see how it holds up.

An I've sen pictures of a new rod project with some on it, It looks right in the pics, and I've been told that it looks right too.

There are a few companies putting out "Chrome" paint, they are not all the same.

15. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Cheesey or not its pretty amazing.

16. johnboy13

johnboy13

Please write up a review with pictures when you get your parts.

17. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I played around with some stuff at work at sprayed HOK Kosmic Krome (sp?) as per the HOK tech sheets.

Ended up looking OK but not really 100% chrome. On certain small parts it might pass as chrome at a quick glance but for the time, effort, and expense involved, I think I'd actually chrome something rather than paint it.

Of course this was a different product so you results may vary.

18. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

19. Those Mopar bumpers look pretty good, but more like polished aluminum... I can tell you from personal experience, the Alsa Killer Chrome they used looks like crap compared to the SpectraChrome stuff...

20. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

how does the dudes arms not get covered???? looks as though they are washing black from an already chromed surface.......

21. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

And tell me why the thing it's sitting on isn't getting chromed as well...

22. cretin

cretin

Yea, that's what it looked like to me and part of why I'm so skeptical.

I'm not thinking of doing this to anything, it just sparked my interest.

23. It doesn't act like regualr paint, it kinda floats on... The friend is also a HAMBer, I'll get him to come here abd try to explain how it works... De-ionized water and alcohol are involved.

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I had a friend sit me down to watch a video on it one day and iit was interesting but I still dont know if its worth a shit the video says the basic starter kit runs about 7500 .

25. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

i know it's not a hot rod or anything even close, but......................how about a whole freakin car painted in this shit??

[​IMG]

26. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Since it works on fiberglass a number of guys that restore and modify the little cars I deal with use the stuff.
    IE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have not seen the finished car yet but one guy bought one of my 3/8 scale 1965 Mustang bodies and chrome sprayed it then masked off the chrome areas and sprayed the car. Everything that should be chrome is and the rest of the car had an awsome base coat for the paint.

27. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Here is another one with the bumpers done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. I just bought the Spectra-Chrome setup/equipment. This is my very first test piece. I still need to work on my base texture and dust control in my booth, and I have much practicing to do. I'm going to their masters class in Clearwater tomorrow, hopefully I will learn something. This is a piece of floor tile from home depot.

[​IMG]

(oh yea, this photo was taken just after metalizing(no topcoat), it brightens up a bit after topcoating.)

29. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Spray on chrome is as dumb as Spray gold paint! Looks fake and just isn't the real thing.If you want chrome get a real chrome job done.

30. No one (at least I'm not) saying it is a replacement for chrome. It is a lower cost alternative to traditional tank-plating chrome, and a means of putting a chrome finish onto non-conductive substrates, such as fiberglass, plastic, etc.

As hexavalent chromium becomes closer and closer to becoming completely outlawed, this type of process, out of necessity, will become more and more of a viable option.