Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Your local "favorite" or "best" custom BUILT IN the 50's or 60's

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Curt R, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Thanks immensely Rik! Those are the best I've ever seen!.....Centurion9

2. Loveoftiki....I would concur. Because Detroit isn't "local" for me, I couldn't claim those cars, but the ones I posted in the other thread, including "Poopsie" the '59 Imapla were all cut from that very same cloth.......Centurion9

3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

This is one of my favorites too. In 1961, I was 11 years old my dad took me to the US Nationals in Indianapolis. In the parking lot we saw this car while it was still in primer. I was thrilled to see it on the cover of "Car Craft" magazine a while later.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent a lot of time visiting with the guy who redid My Blue Heaven after finding the car in severe disrepair when he brought it to the Unfinished Nationals each year as his work on it progressed. I"d have to believe that he put more work into the rebuild and making things right with the body work than when it was originally built.

5. This is a good idea for a thread! I like the less known cars, there were lots of them out there that didn't really makes the magazines. Of course, the ones that we are all familiar with are nice, but I like seeing something new and different!

Here you go Curt R and Centurion 9: Kenny Peters, New Haven Indiana. 1955 Chevy with custom grill (sorry for the poor quality photo). James Sarasnik, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. 1959 Chevy with fins restyled to be like those on a '59 Buick.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Heres my contribution

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Heres my contribution. 51 Chevy owned by Richie Zadroga, Jersey City at this time.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and T-roaster like this.
  8. akustom57

akustom57

a couple of mine

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and T-roaster like this.
  9. Those are neat photos, Anthony. That looks like one of the bridges to NYC in the background. I've always liked that car.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  10. How long has this car been around? It is amazing!

droppedstepside likes this.
  11. Here is my fave! Finished in 68(the first time....)then and now.....

Attached Files:

12. That Studebaker is cool. I really like Studebakers, as I have one. But this thread is supposed to be about Custom Cars, not gassers or hot rods.

13. some great old pics and other good stuff, thanks.
    I started this thread with the chopped, black 57 Chev and hoped the current owner would post current pics, no luck, so here are pics of the radical version from 1968.
    Keep the pics and cool comments coming.
    Curt R

Attached Files:

14. Not too many customizers up here in this neck of the woods, and most of the ones that attempted it were less than successful. The only one that ended up completely finished was this one, and, in it's day was quite the car. It originally was bright white with blue scallops. Canted Lincoln headlights molded over using the original headlight buckets for scoops, dual canted Packard taillights, louvered hood, Vette grille. It also had molded shorty pipes that came out the front fenders and exitted in front of the doors.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and stanlow69 like this.
  15. firemangordy

firemangordy

Mox Miller's Impala.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      239.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Where was this car from originally? You wouldn't happen to have any old photos of it showing the scallops, would you?

17. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Seems to me it was featured in the Rodder's Journal a while back - can't remember for sure - at least a '58 Impala with similar paint scheme.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Built not far from our current shop in Bristol RI by Balzano Bros.

Ron Funkhouser and T-roaster like this.
  19. Got these pictures from kustomrama.com...........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. No I don't. The only way I remember this car was when it was painted olive green - not very flattering. Sadly, the builder is no longer with us - he was killed in a train crash, but his son still has the car. It was built in southeastern Saskatchewan, but now resides in Los Angeles, I believe. I'll ask around and see if I can scare up some pics, as a couple of the old guys who did work on it are still around here.

21. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

100_1983_resized.jpg 100_1984_resized.jpg 100_1988_resized.jpg 102_2041_resized.jpg My favorite 50's custom is this one sitting in my shop right now.
    The 51 Cosmo was customized in the 50's by Charlie Hall and son in Tucson Ariz. and used as his shop truck until 2011 when it became my shop truck.
    It has 400,000 + miles on it.
    John

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  22. Back in the early 1950s there was an older guy who lived down the street from me who liked cars and owned some pretty nice ones. In the late 40s, he went to the junk yard and bought two wrecked Hudson sedans.....and reworked them into this sports car. During that era plans to build your own sports car were found in magazines like Popular Mechanics and others. I don't know if he used some of those plans, or invented his own. Have no idea what eventually became of the car.
    [​IMG]

rodncustomdreams and T-roaster like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Follow up, Jack Williams Ford is still around, somewhere on Vancouver Island.

24. Hi Curt....As I recall. Don showed the car as the "Black Rose".....I was at all those shows in the Milwaukee Auditorium....:)

25. This was LOVE at first site, for me. 049.jpg

26. 'Mo

'Mo

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My local favorite, built about 35 miles from me. Copy of a news article from '57, and a couple of shots I took in the 80's, when I had it at my shop for some work, when John Corno owned for the 2nd time. Ron Courtney 1957.JPG IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1617.JPG

28. verde742

verde742

I liked Bill Hoffman's 54 Chevy tudor sedan turns into hardtop.
    On da ground.

And Marv Ringheim's 56 Chevy,
    Russ Meeks sectioned 56 Nomad.

And more I don't have pictures of. Call Pete Sukalac,

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't remember who said it or how accurate this is but........
    "Can you imagine how much work that was".

30. I grew up with Ian McDonald's '59 Chevy just a couple of miles away and got to be close friends and neighbours later:

Jim Appleby pic (they were fellow Draggins members at the time).
    IanMcDonald59_Stoon64.jpg

Dave