Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Your local "favorite" or "best" custom BUILT IN the 50's or 60's

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Curt R, Nov 23, 2013.

1. verde742

verde742

Geez, did he use a bumper jack, in the middle of the bumper?:eek: SOMEBODY GET A FRIGGIN' ROPE.....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

. I owned this car in 1967/8, traded for it, liked it, sold it, can't remember anything about the owner I got it from, I lived on north side of Milwaukee, see you're a Milwaukee man, thought maybe you would know something about it. The car was totaled out from a crash about a month after purchase from me. Back in that time frame, I bought/sold/traded cars often, It was a part time business for me, worked out well, car crazy then and still.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

4:70's!!! Must have put the fear of the L...er, Ford, into some unsuspecting Chevy's with 4:56's!
    Talk about a hole-shot!

Centurion9 and wicarnut like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

It was a 352, 4 Barrell, 3 speed, 4:70 detroit locker, noisy and chirped tires around courners, traded something for the center section, was in, when I sold car, ran good, justwas not very fast, broke the tranny a few times, not in pic, had Street slicks for it, it did jump out fairly good, street raced very little, good cruiser in city, too steep of gear to go anywhere on highway, ran 4:11/4:56/4:88 in my chevys for street racing. Chevy 4:11 was an easy find in boneyards when I was young. Learned big gear/street slicks made up for lack of HP, did not have alot of $$$ when I was young.

'Mo and Centurion9 like this.
  5. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

waylow64bird and droppedstepside like this.
  6. verde742

verde742

Anybody remember Chuck Bell, from Portland, had a custom '46-'48 Plymouth coupe? Johnny Wagers '56 Chevy tudor hardtop from Salem? Bruce Grambo's '39/'40 Ford convert, sectioned, chopped, was a '39, But Bruce welded on a '40 convert from doors back, wanted a backseat. Its still around, in SW Washington,. Brother Roger built a '51 Ford convert, sectioned, chopped with Hemi. Dave Roberts had a '49 Ford convert, radiused rear wheel openings, '51 Buick tailites frenched in rear tailite area. Monty Kress had a channelled '32 tudor Ford, rear fenders were raised, and it was full fendered, lot of people thought it was sectioned, but it wasn't. Jim Horner chopped a '48 Ford coupe when he was 16 years old, tuff job, for anyone, even now. Two Corvairs with V-8's, Roger Olson's new '60 Impala with brand new '60 Mercury grille, narrowed between the headlites on each side. Bill Rikstein's '52 ford tudor with '57 Ford side chrome. Jack Farrell's '51 Chev coupe, Earl Stewart's cars, had a lot of good ones, Don Soderlund,and Stan Lewis look alike '58 Impala's both Silver and on the ground, Butch Rodahl's ' Impala convert, and ALL Chuck Millers cars. & Lots of '39-'40 Fords, '49-'51 Mercs. '55-'56-'57 Chevs, Fords Plymouths.
    Marvin Haun had lots of good Cars and ALL on the earth.
    The whole area was like "American Graffiti." Besides the customs, seemed like "everybody" had a HOT ROD, also.
    I remember "mild customs" running around Longview Washington, lots of them in late 50's early '60's.
    Kenny Kromm customized the front / rear of his '55 Chev tudor hardtop, well done, but I hated it.

Seem like there was the "good" sixties, and then the "bad 60's when all HELL broke loose.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  7. Another nice pic from Jim Appleby - this time it's Garry Porter's '56 Vicky also from Saskatoon. Garry lived across the street from me when I was a young teenager. It was black with red and white upholstery and had the Merc tail lamps which I've always felt looked really good! DragginsVicky copy.jpg

Dave

Sancho and droppedstepside like this.
  8. Ian was a very good friend of mine for many years. I spent many a Friday night in his garage bs'ing and trying to figure out how Annie could drink Black Label beer. Blah...

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

......and they were both built by Dave Stuckey! Ten (101 of 2)-2.jpg Ten (100 of 2)-2.jpg Ten (101 of 2)-2.jpg

11. OneBad56

OneBad56

Fred Welsh's '40 4-dr sedan "treasure", multi-award winner in its day throughout the northwest. Still exists but in storage for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. OneBad56

OneBad56

The Jack Williams Chev was another prominent custom back in its day in the northwest. Still exists and is being restored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chopped with a handsaw by the then young Jack in a back alley.
    [​IMG]

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    My early influence was the amazing, Ala Kart. Later on, I had a model of that custom. It was so cool and advanced for the times. But, that was a little kid's dream car. almost every hot rod we saw in the early magazines became our favorites, but that Ala Kart was the most influential on me.

Back in 1954-55, I lived in a Westside, Long Beach,CA neighborhood that had several custom cars and trucks. But this custom, candy apple, red, truck stuck out the most. It was an early lowered Ford F100 that had a beautiful, candy apple, red paint job and chrome reverse wheels. The most obvious thing of this beautiful truck was the unusual chopped top. The windshield was large, but the back of the cab was lower than the front. The rear window was smaller than stock. The roof line looked like it was tilted back as the front was higher than the back. It had chrome Appleton spots, white tuck and roll upholstery and it looked beautiful driving down the street. The truck had this lowered stance and always cruised down the main drag of our neighborhood. But, the top always drew comments from most everyone.

One day, I was in a neighborhood gas station/car repair/tune up place. I saw the truck sitting near the tune up part of the whole gas station complex. I knew the owners and the mechanics as they were neighborhood guys. We always stopped here on the way home from elementary school.

We always hung around the mechanics as they worked on many different cars and trucks. One of the mechanics offered to give me a ride in the red, candy apple truck to take it back to the owner. I was so flabbergasted that I did not know what to do. Once I climbed into the cab, it was the coolest truck ever… the ride was very nice, not bumpy like most lowered cars/trucks. The white tuck and roll was something I had never experienced.

The neatest thing was that several of my friends were sitting on the next corner bus stop and it was so cool to wave to them as we “cruised” by on the way to the owner’s storefront. I was actually cruising !!! I wanted to turn the Appleton spotlights on them and light them up…!

I can see this truck in my LB neighborhood parked or cruising down the street. If I could download the images from this drive (from my brain) in the truck, that would be something ! I wonder where that truck is located, today? It was the epitome of an early 50’s custom truck. Did it survive?

Thanks,

Jnaki

So far, in my search on the internet, help from Sondre of Kustomrama, post here back in August 2016, it has become a blank screen. No one can remember or has photos from back in those days. It could have been in an early magazine, too. Magazine collectors? Anyone?

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    © see info on the photos. (Rik Hoving Kustoms)

Atomic Industries
    [​IMG]The Jalopy Journal

[​IMG]
    HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionThe Hokey Ass Message Board
    RIKSTER...ANYONE...VEGA'S '38 QUESTION
    Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans, Jun 6, 2007.

Watch Thread
    1. [​IMG]
      Hans
      from Morgan Hill, CA

I just discovered Rikster's web-site, and all I can say is WOW.

Fellas if you haven't checked it out do yourselves a favor and get experienced.

I was looking at Ray Vegas '38 convertible and I am confused.

The top is obviously removable, but what happens to the posts?

With the top on, the posts are present, when the top is removed the post is gone!

What gives?

Removable posts?

Two incarnations of the car?

Attached Files:HANS, JUN 6, 2007!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#1LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

2. [​IMG]
      SimonSez
      from Auckland, New Zealand

As fas as I know, the posts are removable on the Ford convertible sedans.

Edit: Here's a pic that kind of shows them ...

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_other-pics/Flathead_Model_39-40body74.jpg

SIMONSEZ, JUN 6, 2007!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#2LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

3. [​IMG]
      50Fraud
      from San Pedro, CA

Typical detail on prewar convertible sedans. My dad's '41 Buick had the same deal, with turn-locks at each end to lock the removable piece to the B-pillar and the top frame.

Bad news if you misplace them!

50FRAUD, JUN 6, 2007!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#3LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

4. [​IMG]
      Hans
      from Morgan Hill, CA

HMMM...thanks fellas, blame it on the fact that I don't know shit!;)

HANS, JUN 6, 2007!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#4LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

5. [​IMG]
      Sanford&Son
      from Visalia,Ca

Anyone know the where abouts of Ray Vega's 38 Ford? I have a freind who cruised to High School with Ray in this car. He's about 76 years old and was a member of the Burbank Prowlers CC and would love to see or own this car.:confused:

Attached Files:SANFORD&SON, OCT 31, 2010!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#5LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

6. [​IMG]
      50Fraud
      from San Pedro, CA

It was extensively modified some years ago -- skirts off, rear fenders cut out for drag slicks, the hand tooled leather interior taken out. Last I heard, it belonged to a guy named Tony Handler in the LA area, and he said he was going to restore it -- I don't think much has happened in the way of restoration.

50FRAUD, OCT 31, 2010!REPORT!
      SHARE POST#6LIKE+ QUOTEREPLY

[​IMG]

15. The Vega conv sedan was displayed at the 2014 L. A. Roadster Show in its kinda restored state.

Here's a couple shots I took. I believe the center post is removable on stock convertible sedans as well.

Mick
    DSCF0896.JPG DSCF0900.JPG

16. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

I found these photos of Joe's Chevvy taken in an alley on the south side of Milwaukee. From the photos it appears that it wasn't quite completed yet, rusty tail pipes or no chrome reversed wheels.

17. Pufff

Pufff

Spence Murry... spence murry 36.jpg
    All time favorite- Harry Westergard... Harry Westergard.jpg Harry Westergard 1.jpg