Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 Plymouth Power Steering Conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Swapper, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Swapper

Swapper

Hi all you helpful hot rodders out there. I just picked up a 50 Plymouth business coupe. I want to add power steering but not sure where to start. As far as I'm aware the frame is 100% original. Drivetrain-wise it's got a 350 sbc from a 77 vette, 700r4, 9" Ford. I'm not sure if I should be looking for mopar parts or chevy or if I'll have to mix and match. Any advice - other than all you hardcore mopar maniacs that are just going to tell me to chuck the belly button . Believe me if I had hemi pockets I would. Thanks!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would look for a factory power steering 'box' that closely matches the dimensions of the stock non power box and consider adapting that to your chassis. If you can't find a stock unit, look ar Borgeson or Flaming River. They have modified boxes that are adaptable to many applications. I would NOT swap in a rack and pinion unit as the geometry is not correct for your suspension/steering system.

In either case, however, it will require modification or replacement of your existing steering column.

Ray

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Your life will be easier if you convert your car over to a late 90 Caviler power rack & pinion. That rack has the inner tie rod connection at the center of the rack. The rack will easily mount behind the Plymouth front crossmember with simple to fab brackets you weld to the frame (you will need a rear sump oil pan). Fab a center link to attach to the racks center bolts, that is the correct length to use your cars original tie rods, and attach to the GM power steering pump that fits your motor.
    Search "caviler power steering rack on a 46-48 Plymouth coupe" here, its been covered several times and the info will transfer to your car.Gene

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  4. The Cavalier style rack that has the centre pivot tie rods is a good setup however if your car already has a normal style steering box or the original one then have you thought about using the aftermarket power steering boxes that Hnstray mentions, main thing is can you get a power box in where the current box is and get the steering column connected to it ........if there is not enough space for a power box then you may have to consider a power rack such as the cavalier one.........main problem with using a rack is that a rack generally doesn't have the "throw" that is required to get full lock........this can be overcome with shorter than stock steering arms or by mounting the stock arms "forward" on the lower 2 mounting bolts....see the attached pic that shows the forward arm....... BUT on my car I had special shorter arms made up for the rack setup I use but had never thought of mounting the rack forward as pictured and this would have saved me a lot of work.........any way trust this helps............and I assume you have already swapped your steering column, if not then it can be used by using a sealed bearing at the bottom, cutting the inner/outer shaft & tube and using a uni joint to whatever rack/box you use.............Andy Douglas

Attached Files:

5. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

electric steering....2 hrs done, no pumps, no brackets. no pulleys, no hoses, no leaks. Have this setup on my 50 Ford. Love it.

Hnstray likes this.