Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone use stainless flex radiator hose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madwrencher, Jan 21, 2008.

1. madwrencher

madwrencher
    from ohio

Anyone use these before the ones that are flexable like corragated stainless steel not the braided covered rubber hoses. I made a rad support and have an alum rad in my 54 chevy car with sbc and and the bottom hose needs a couple of wierd bends to connect it up. It's 1 3/4 on both ends. I did a search and didn't find any info on here about these hoses.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

I've used them on my flattie. They come with different size adapters, 1-3/4 being one of them. How much you can bend them depends on the length. How ling a piece do you need?

3. rusty48

rusty48

I got them on my 48 Chevy with sbc,no problem so far.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I used a set in wayyyy back in early 90's. they work fine.
    Definitely street rod material.
    I would now make a template of what you need and go to a good parts house with racks of hoses and find the right combination of bends to make it work. Sometimes you find the combination in the middle of a complicated hose somewhere.
    Those hoses to me don't belong in a traditonal looking engine compartment.

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

I'm just going to put my opinion out there. I think polished copper pipe and rubber elbows and connectors looks way more bad ass:)

6. 5window

5window

I use them on my 350 Model A. I had this really tight,double turn and twist connection on my lower hose that was obviously originally cut out of something larger. I tried the braid-covered rubber from Speedway-no dice. Then spent HOURS staring at hoses hanging from the ceiling of every NAPA and other parts store I could drive to. Finally picked up a Cool-Flex hose at the York NSRA show-rather nervously considering the price-and it took me all of 5 minutes to get a perfect match and fit. Worth the money for sure. I opted to use just the rubber connectors and clamps, not the fancy chrome covers since my rod is a bit more traditional. Looks fine to me.

7. Ramblur

Ramblur

Not keen on those adapters... Helped a friend do an initial fire up of
    a 350 in a 54 chevy truck with those hoses. After the cam break-in
    I leaned over with the timing light to final set it when it blew the hose
    off!:eek: Over 200* from the break in and I screamed like a little girl.
    Nailed my whole right arm and hand. I'm sure he didn't have the
    clamp as tight as it could have been but I believe that the wide
    rubber band adapter deal contributed too because it effectively
    eliminated the barb cast into the water pump inlet...