Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Fest May 2010 - mark your calenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Sep 4, 2009.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

So after doing the Jalopy Showdown, I was altered. I kept asking my wife the entire way home........Why is this show not EVERYWHERE?
    It was so much fun getting the rides out on the track.

After asking around, and many emails with Larry, I realized the insurance is the big problem - and it is a hassle. BUT I waded through the red tape (measuring bleachers, timed schedules of what happens at the shows, parking lot size etc) and have finally insured an event.

I hope many people will show up - I am not sure my event will be as cool as the Jalopy Showdown, but that is my goal. If ya'll aint never been to the Jalopy Showdown - it is a definite MUST attend, and that is what I am trying to go for here in Iowa.

First thing is the weather of course. If it is raining that day - we will STILL have the show. The great thing about this place is that it has a 14,000 sq. ft. dance hall right next to the track, and the owner said if we need to turn this into an impromptu INDOOR event - then we can move about 50 - 60 cars inside. I have already rented out the hall for Saturday because there is a stage in there and I want some high energy rock/surf/swing/rockabilly bands in there mixing it up. There is a dance floor right in front of the stage as well - so ya gotta get out there and move your feet!
    The vendors will be in the building as well and I hope to have some kind of art exhibition as well inside. More details on all this later as the date gets closer.

Camping is available - the site has 40 electrical hook ups and space for 200 other people.
    $20 gets you camping on Friday and Saturday night and sorry there is no break for just one night.

This track is in Farley Iowa. It was built in 1969, so it is not an OLD track by any means, but it is really cool and had facilities we need. Farley is about 1400 people and we need to be as kind to this population as we can. Right down the road is Dyersville which has the Field of Dreams, a Toy Museum, and for the collectors of die cast - Ertl is based there and have an outlet shop (I know many dealers that go there to buy for cheap and then take the stuff out on the road to sell it later on) Dubuque is the main city that is close by - about 15 miles down the road. For those of you that think this is out in the middle of no where........here are some distances:

Madison WI - 112 miles
    Des Moines IA - 180 miles
    Rockford IL - 113 miles
    Peoria IL -179 miles
    Rochester MN - 166 miles
    Joliet IL - 214 miles
    Milwaukee WI - 190 miles

SO what are the things that make our show different?

1 - You can DRIVE your car on the dirt track if you want! You dont have to, but come on - this is FUN. The way we may have it set up is that the 1/2 mile track will be dirt and the 3/8 corner will be mud, so that way if you want to hit the mud you have that option.

2 - Pre registered cars will get a DVD of the event mailed to them about 1 month after the show is over. No guarantees that your car will be included in the DVD. BUT considering I dont expect more than 100 cars...I suspect anyone that shows up will be seeing their car on there fer sure.

3 - Friday night cruise - this is going to head down some country backroads and wind up at some scenic place that is good for photo ops. Also - this will provide additional chance to film cars and make the DVD better.

4 - High energy music. Sorry Doo Wop guys - I wanna see some band pounding on their instruments and getting the energy level up.

5 - I am trying to get some cars that are not typically shown in Iowa to come over and be indoor for a special kustom display - if you have a car that you would want to see in there - let me know.

6 - Model Contest - CASH money to the winners and yes there will be an UNDER 12 contest. We appreciate all the details that guys in their 40's put into these - but we wanna see some kids enter the competition as well.

7 - GO KARTS - I need ya'll to bring out the go karts. Before the cars go on the track the go karts can go out there first. So leave room in that truck bed of yours to bring out your old go kart!

8 - Rat Fink......as most know I go around and sell all the Rat Fink merchandise for Ilene Roth - so we will have plenty of stock on all the things that you can typically buy at our site or edroth.com - stickers, shirts, posters, keychains, etc

I look forward to YOUR input and hope that you will tell all your friends and neighbors about the Torque Fest May 1, 2010

Here are some other things that may be of interest:

Show Rules
    ALL CARS are welcome, but only the qualifying cars will be allowed in the car show
    event area and on the track. Other classic cars will have special parking away from
    "normal" daily driver/spectator cars, and will not have to pay Participant fee. They
    will have to pay normal spectator fee for each person in car.
    Car Show Participants Rules:
    1965 and prior TRADITIONAL style rods and customs ONLY
    No billet
    No digital gauges
    No IFS on fenderless cars
    No trailered cars - if you gotta trailer it here - then at least park the trailers off site
    No mag wheels made after the 60's
    Traditional looking choppers and bobbers ONLY! (No modern West Coast
    Choppers, OCC style bikes)

Spectators $5
    Pre Registered Vehicles $20

(pre registered vehicles will receive FREE DVD of Torque Fest 2010 - sent in the
    mail in June - this is why it is important you give a legible current address - DVD will
    be for sale to public for $12-$15 - price to be determined later)

Day of Show Vehicles $25
    Camping $20 Friday and/or Saturday Nights - sorry no breaks for single nights

Driving Rules:
    Rule #1 NO Drinking & Driving. If you want to drive in the dirt, no alcohol allowed.
    Impaired drivers will NOT be allowed on the track.
    On/off duty sheriff/police officers will be on site to enforce this rule.
    Rule #2 Only licensed drivers allowed on the track. If you do not have a valid
    drivers license you can not go on the track.
    Rule #3 All drivers that wish to go on the track must sign a waiver stating that in
    the event of any type of accident- Torque Fest and Farley Speedway will not be
    responsible for damage to vehicles or personal injury.
    Rule #4 Minimum Age - 21 (This age requirement is required by insurance company
    - there can be no exceptions - sorry)
    Rule #5 No hot laps. Speed Limit is 40 MPH. These laps on the 1/2 mile dirt track
    are considered PHOTO LAPS. The purpose of these laps is to take participants car
    on the track for photo opportunity. Drivers that wish to drive in the mud should tell
    staff before laps to insure photographer is properly set up.
    If you are red flagged for going too fast or reckless driving you will not be allowed
    on track for the rest of the day. If you wish to go on the dirt track again you must
    get back in the staging lanes and wait your turn.
    Rule #6 Only one car allowed on track at a time.
    Rule #7 Other rules may be added as show approaches.

Schedule Torque Fest
    Friday - Campers can set up.
    Friday Evening - Cruise 5 PM
    Friday Night - Band Starts 9 PM
    6AM Vendor Set Up / Model Car Show Set Up
    8AM Open to public & Allow Cars In for Parking - Classic cars will park in designated
    area - Hot Rods that will go on dirt track/indoors will park in separate designated area.
    Spectator parking will be in its' designated area as well.

11 AM Band will play and Go Kart Exhibition
    12 PM Cars allowed to start dirt laps. Maximum 2 laps per car.
    1:30 PM Band #2 Starts
    3PM Awards
    5:30 PM Show Over
    6 PM Load Out
    7PM Close down track and building

Email [email protected] for questions

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, looks like you've got everything covered. Sounds like fun, good luck.:cool:

4. Holy cow John, that sounds like a cool event and not far from me!:cool: Sure hope things work out for me and I can attend.

Max

5. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Max Gearhead - I am gonna need your help fer sure - you are in the prime area for me to hit people up.

I know it is gonna be hard to do this first show - but I think if just the guys/gals on the HAMB show up that are in the area we will have a great time.

If anyone needs promotional material let me know.

Seeya at Greaserama this weekend!

6. Marcy

Marcy

So you've gone ahead and taken the plunge-----good for you.
    No risk, no reward. haha
    Driving events are cool!
    Now when will someone do the equivalent of the A-Bombers Hill Climb?

Marcy

7. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

hey Marcy - looks like I may need your expertise on the shirt front! Gonna have to talk to ya at the Hunnert - ya gonna be inside or outside this year?

Yes - it will be a good time for all that show up I think. I wanna try to bring what I like about certain shows in to ours........and leave stuff I DONT like behind.....
    we will see if it pans out.

I think once the people SEE the action - they are gonna love it.....
    here in Iowa at the Davenport swap meet today - I tell people about the cars that can go out on the dirt track or get in the mud if they want - and they look at me like I am crazy..........I guess people dont know about the Jalopy Showdown like I thought they did......

well - it is time to start spreading the word.

I think I may have to try to get some people together to go out to the track and film some laps so that people will know what the heck it is I am trying to see!

as for the hill climb - the Newport Hill Climb in IN is historic - but they only allow stock vehicles - perhaps the Road Rockets could put together a show and do the same thing only with hot rods and customs?

That would be COOL!

Hope ya'll will help me out as this thing progresses. I am a COMPLETE beginner and always looking for advice/help in all areas of this car show stuff. I have been a vendor at shows since '92. But I have never wanted the responsibilty of DOING a show - but since there is no one putting a show like Larry........I gotta do it - now I have to educate the population that this is a great time.

I need your help!

Later

8. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

great response from people at the Greaserama.........INCLUDING some amazing news from Los Punk Rods - looks like they may actually have some representation at the show!

That is right - all the way from KC - coming to Iowa to show some support for Torque Fest!

wont you be there too?

9. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

I'll see ya there John and we talked with some of the senior members and will do our best to help you with your cause.
    Great to see you at GREASERAMA and Thank You for the support of our event!

ERIC

10. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

What are your Go Kart rules?
    I've got this here:

Jeff

Attached Files:

11. Looking forward to it John, I will help all I can!

12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

honestly - dont know about the Go Karts.........I know we dont want those new fiberglass things you see out there......

a buddy of mine - that shall remain nameless says - YOU SHOULD DO GO KARTS!

he gives this big long explanation about all these great things about doing a go kart exhibition.........

then I go to the insurance company and explain that it will not be a race - and finally get approval - I call him back and say

We got it! You GOTTA bring your Go Kart!

he says - I dont have a gokart...............................WHAT!

I thought you had one!

ha

so - I figured HE would be the leader of the group on that front. So....anyone that has information on old timey go karts - LET ME KNOW!

But yeah - I think I will find out about mini bikes as well.........

maybe we can do a mini bike/go kart parade on the track at 10am or something?

so I think your ride would qualify in that category

again - if ya'll got some ideas - let me know!

13. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Punk Rodder aka Eric - thanks again for all your help

I am going to post what some people may think is a total ass kiss fest for your show...........but you guys blow me away and I really really appreciate all your help you have given over the years - especially this year

14. plan on me being there , i have a set of knobby tires for the model a , ready to tear up the track! , glad to help out a good friend of ours , hell john if you put even half of your energy and determination into this show it will be a big success! see you there

15. Abomber Hillclimb? I have had visions of doing one out here for a few years. Perfect location would start on Mainstreet Deadwood and head up to Mt Coolidge. About 5 times longer than the one in Sweden ;)

Coolstuff, good luck that looks like fun. Vagabonds have been talking about doing something back that way we can camp at.

16. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I think Marcy said it best - the future of car shows are Driving events. (I think she said something to that effect)

I agree - but purely from an A.D.D. point of view!

I always wanna see something new and something that is full of energy.

Example - I enjoy seeing the Autocross at the Good Guys shows as well as the Nostalgia Drags - but Jalopy Showdown was THE event.....just too much fun.

Dave - it was great hanging out this weekend with all of ya'll.

Hope ya'll didnt think I was kissin up too much with that post covering your show. You guys have always been good to me and appreciation should be shown. That was my intent.

I think everyone that shows up to your show always have a good time and I hope that everyone that comes to ours will have a great time.

I am working on bands right now and possibly getting a special artist from California to come out. That may or not play out - I will keep ya posted.

And if you do a huge hill climb - let us know!

Would love to be there to film

17. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Kool. Pretty close for me too. Mini bikes would be kool, since I don't have a go cart. (No room for one either. lol) I hope to make it, should be fun.

18. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

hey - Stick Shift - are there shows that you know of that I should be handing out flyers at?

I am going to be going to Joliet for the Good Guys show and talking to people, and of course the Hunnert - the Chrome Czars said it was cool for me to hand out flyers there.......

but you know anything else?

19. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Beloit Autorama in a couple of weeks. 9-20-2009. Big car show with a nice swap. Then Jefferson, which you already know about. THen everything till your show. Jeff (tudorjeff) and I can help get some flyers out for ya.

Did you have anything at the Motorcycle Swap last weekend? I saw your booth but not you on Friday.

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I was probably out talking.......but I was there on Thurs and Friday - then had to head down to Greaserama Friday night and do that show on Sat. and Sun.

no rest for the wicked right?

so Beloit is the same weekend as the Good Guys?

wow - I will have to hit 2 shows that weekend!

it is only 118 miles apart.......Good Guys on Sat nad Beloit on Sunday - then head over to Farley to film on Sunday as well

Beloit to Farley IA is 143 miles

21. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Lena IL to Farley is only 72 miles.........what time you think you will head outta Beloit?

22. ...any motels up around Farley?

23. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Dyersville is only 5 miles away from Farley

they have:

Comfort Inn

Super 8

Colonial Inn

In Dubuque (which is about 14 miles away) there are a LOT of hotels and if you wanna have a nice getaway you can stay in Galena IL and then drive over in the morning.

That is about 30 miles away from the show

24. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

MAY DAY! MAY DAY!! MAY DAY!!!

FEAR comes to Torque Fest!

MAX GRUNDY will be our special guest for the show!

Max and I went on a mini tour this year and obviously I did not piss him off too bad - cause he is coming to our show!

Max is flying in all the way from California to do the show! He will be set up there selling his art, shirts, stickers, etc and will be able to sign the Vintage Torque DVD #3. His art was used on the cover of that DVD and there is a segment on Max in there as well.

So come on out and see the latest from
    Fear is the New Beauty

www.fearisthenewbeauty.com
    or

www.maxgrundy.com

25. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

ok - since it seems everyone that I was going to try to come over to Farley this Sunday are going to be in Beloit...........I am going to Beloit!

SO I will seeya there on Sunday - a decision has been made finally!

Hope to see you there!

26. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I think we are going to be able to announce some cool things about the show after this weekend.......

very cool news if it pans out

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Still have some things in the works........but

SPEEDCULT will be coming over to support the show!

Thanks to Tim, Tina , and Len for "getting" the concept and getting on board.

I think they have some of the coolest stuff out there and we are happy to have them coming over to Torque Fest.....
    RAIN OR SHINE!

www.speedcult.com

they will be at the Hunnert in two weeks as well.

28. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

[​IMG]

THE ROSWELL ROD WILL BE AT THE TORQUE FEST!!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  29. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

That is right folks - Spritz By Fritz has confirmed that the Roswell Rod will be coming up for the special indoor custom display! (if you didnt know there are going to be hot rods and jalopys and beaters out on the track - and the nice show rods / kustoms inside)

I even talked him into bringin' the Margarita Chiquita bike as well.

For those that dont know - the Torque Fest is happy to have approval from the Roth estate to sell all the licensed Rat Fink products at our show.

Well - we cant afford buying the Druid Princess (see another thread for the RM auctions that just sold that this past weekend) but we can have an Ed Roth inspired car there!

This car was on the cover of Rod and Custom and we are happy to see it heading to Iowa for the 1 day event.

Hope to seeya there and I will hopefully have a couple more announcements BEFORE the Hunnert!

Thanks again to Fritz for committing his time and energy to our show - it is appreciated

check out his site at www.spritzbyfritz.com

30. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf