Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling My Car Long Distance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, May 12, 2010.

1. ok, this is the first time I've sold a car long distance. I'm selling my 1968 Cadillac DeVille to guy out in Virgina and I'm in Michigan. He says he's having Showtime Transport pick the car up (guy on the HAMB) but if he takes to long he'll come out next week and pick it up himself. Now he has put no money down on this car yet, he has transfered the money into his paypal account and taken pictures to show me that its in there. He called me last night and wants to give me half the money if I send him the title and then the other half would be paypal'd when car is picked up. He says the shipper doesnt want the title with the car.

Would you guys send him the title? what would you do, I want to take every action possible so I dont get burned on this..there are so many scammers and thieves out there that you have to watch your ass like no other these days..so looking for some help

Attached Files:

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

He gets the car and title after you get the cash.

3. 2-TONED

2-TONED

send the title once the car is paid in full otherwise you have no car & no title.
    send him a pic of the clear title.

4. Meyer

Meyer

NFW do you send title without all the money. I would not do the transaction through Paypal either, it can be disputed and reversed.

5. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Nope, full cash amount, then they get the title. Once the title is in his hands what's it to him to say the amount agreed on was the down payment then tell you to get bent. He could be a straight shooter all the way, but to protect yourself I'd wait for the full payment to be in your account or at least your pocket. Besides, it sounds like he's willing to come pick it up himself, why not just plan on doing that instead and that way you both can physically exchange the remaining amount and title to each other

6. Yep, I agree - you get ALL the cash and he gets the car and title.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Tell him you'd rather deal with him in person anyway, might not be that big of a deal to him either way.

8. rusty28a

rusty28a

Tons of Paypal fee reversal horror stories out there so go with the one time cash payment and save yourself the worry and trouble of doing otherwise. Best regards.

9. Cash in the bank where only you can touch it then send title and ship car.

10. well he says he hates driving long distances and really doesnt want to pick it up himself he offered me $600 to drive it to him but I cant get off work and dont have the time so he planned this shipper, we both want it done as soon as possible as I need the money

I told him to send me $500 threw paypal as a deposit so I know he's serious and I wont sell it to someone else in the mean time as I have others interested..he said he would yesterday but today doesnt seem to want to, I offered to take a pict of it in my paypal and send him a reciept that I recieved the money...we've been texting and talking back and fourth for bout a week now

11. so I should have him send me the full cash amount in paypal ahead of time because it takes 3-4 days to transfer to the bank account and once its sitting in the bank account he gets the car & title? or should I have him send me a money order or something or whats the best way to get the cash if he cant come here

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Love that car! Actually, I'll send a truck up to get it. I'll E-mail you a picture of some cash. You just put the title in the glovebox for me.:D

13. He won't talk to you on the phone, and has kept you hanging for a week,...tell him as others said....cash in the bank, title in the mail...otherwise sell it to someone with cash in their hand, and CLOSER

14. I think you can request a quick transfer from your paypal into your bank account so that the transaction cannot be reversed.

15. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Never give up the title before you have cash in hand.

16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

There are escrow services that might work for this deal. Make the guy pay the fee. The basic process is he deposits the money with them and you give them the title. Once the car is on his appointed hauler's trailer, the car is his and you get the money. Make sure it is when it goes on the transport, not when he receives it.

17. no I ment to say we have been texting and talking on the phone for a week now, he's supposted to call me in 45 mins and were going to talk some more..he had emailed me about the car for sale about a month ago when I had it for sale and offered me a cash offer it was too low at the time but I need money now so I emailed him back and said if he was serious I'd take that offer not knowing that he was far away I assumed he was local

18. do you know how to do it, I've used paypal for years but didnt know that was an option I've always withdrawn the money to my bank account and typically takes 4 days...that'd be a very nice option if it's true

19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Doesn't matter WHAT you buy or sell,,a home ,,property ,cars ,trucks, bikes,etc,,without Earnest Money ,( deposit ) it's not a deal ,,
    i sold my '55 Chevy Gasser to a nice guy in New Jersey ,,( i live in Missouri ) ,he sent me a deposit ,,and bank wired the rest to the shipper plus the shipping cost,,,when Reliable Shipping picked up the car ,,they handed me a cashiers check for the rest ,,,away went the car and THEN ,i expressed mailed the title to him ,,
    it went easy without any hassles,,

20. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Is he on the HAMB? Does anyone know him? What I'm getting at is references, reputation, etc. Most of the guys on the HAMB are stand-up guys, but that's not everyone... if enough people vouched for him I might cut him some more slack on deposits, time, etc. But not transfer the title - see below.

People are also more honest when others are watching. If it was me buying the car, I'd send you all the money and post the fact here - you are a business and have a bigger rep to lose, and that way I could enlist public pressure if needed.

Remember also the title IS the car. With the title in his name, he can come get the car (with a sheriff in tow if he wants) and unless you have a formal (mechanics) lien on the car, he can take it away and there is nothing you can do. So, no title transfer until the money is yours.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Why don't you just have him wire transfer the money into your bank account? I've done two deals that way, one I deposited teh money in his bank account and just a month or so ago I sold a car and the guy deposited the money in my bank account. It doesn't get any easier. Paypal scares me cuz they can take the money out of your account. That is NOT going to happen in a bank transfer......AND like others have said, paid in full gets the title, not before.

Oh yeah, thought I'd add Rick, Showtime Transport, is a GREAT guy. In fact, if I'm in town when he comes to get the car I'm coming over to get a hug from him while he's in Michigan.

Who's the purchaser in Virgina? I might know him as well.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've been on both ends of a long distance sale. It's hard to send someone a bunch of money but I talked to the guy on the phone and my instincts were right.

He has to have faith in you. No money....no car. And if it is a check, it must clear my bank before papers or the car moves. If you are honest with him he should understand. If he gets nasty he probably is trying to scam you. Talk to the guy but don't let him talk you into anything stupid.

23. Cash in the bank (and no paypal) before sending the title.
    I just sold a '34 truck to a HAMBer in Australia. I had him do a bank transfer directly into my bank account. When the bank confirms the money was there, you can overnight the title.

Just a tip, go to the bank and open a new account. Use that account to transfer the funds. Immediatly transfer the money out of that account and into your regular account. Then close the account used for the transfer. Sounds like overkill, but it took me all of 5 minutes to open a new account and less than that to close it when done - AND... there was no way I was gonna get screwed! No paypal reversals, no chargebacks, etc...

24. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Cash only. No way you should consider anything else.
    Don't let him sob-story("I don't like long drives, etc) into any other deal except cash.

Here in Ontario, even "certified" checks aren't worth much, they can be canceled.

25. I sold my car in Dec. and as soon as the $ was in my paypal account I transferred it to my bank. Went to my bank (local and know me very well) and they verified the transaction ASAP. So, it was the bank and not paypal that sped it up for me.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no quick tranfser. it takes a couple of days. there is no paypal transaction that can not be reversed. the only difference would be wether the scammer gets his money directly from you, (with paypals blessing and help) or he gets it from paypal and they go after you with a collection agency and screw your credit up.

when you signed up for paypal you agreed to a good screwing anytime paypal sees fit.

27. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

^^This^^except I empty my "bum" account to 1.00. Ive used that acct. several times for car sales etc.
    Please dont take paypal for entire amount...

28. he just paypal'd be $500 got off the phone with him a few seconds ago..he said last night he was on the HAMB so I'm going to text him the link to this thread and maybe get him in here so he can put some words in as well

like someone said before I'm a business and I'm on the HAMB all the time and many people on here know me so I have more to lose than he does..he has all my info including work address

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  29. shane2290

shane2290
    from toronto

exactly !!!!!!!!!!