Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reproduction Vega Steering Gear Boxes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rio Grande Valley Deuce, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

I understand these are imports. Where are they from?

Are they an easy and direct installation/replacement for oem boxes?

What kind of problems have been encountered?

Positive experiences with them - anyone?

I'm interested in learning about the boxes that are not mullins brand.

RGV:confused:

2. brandon

brandon

i bought one of the cheap vega copy's on ebay ....nice piece for the money .....only thing we found wrong.....no grease.....of course , that was after a trip to bowling green and a couple hundred miles later.....bolted up nice...nice pitman arm ....and was tight ....seems worth the 240 for the package to the door...brandon

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what are you wanting to put the vega box on?

4. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

As a general application for Model A's and 1932-34 years.

RGV

5. 60 Belair

60 Belair

BTT.
    I am intersted also in the cheap ebay vega boxes they are around $140.00 w/out pitman anyone else have any input .​

6. Lono

Lono

have had no problem* with the one I put on my 30 A. I think time will tell. If its anything of value, if you need to replace it there's plenty around.

*(Traditionalists will piss all over you if they see one in your car rather than a f-100).

7. the bad news about flaming rivers vega box has been covered on here....me included ...i had one go to hell. stay away from them

the cheap ones i have been told are made in Canada , while i haven't used one i have heard good things about them. a local rod parts seller told me he has sold many of them with good luck. that's all i know

8. Check into Maval 1/2 rack instead--- Bolts right up to vega mount,
    Have been using for the past few years on over 15 new builds and every 1 that buys 1 of my cars can't believe the differance. They drive like a dream, with 0 bumpsteer!!!!!:cool::cool:
    BTW-- The offshore(China) Vega boxes are JUNK

9. Seen two of the cheaper boxes one was the flamming river they both leak grease..Just a spot on a regular basis ??

10. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I bought a new one on ebay for the '32 that I'm putting together. I'm lucky, mine must have grease in it, it's dripping on the garage floor-----

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  11. turdytoo

turdytoo

My buddy built his own mount using a genuine boxs. When he tryed to bolt a cheapo in the bolt pattern was slightly different. I used a Chassis Engineering mount. When I tryed to bolt my cheapo box to it, the bolt pattern was slightly different. We both bought boxes from a vendor at Springfield so I don't think this just a coinsidence or our sloppy fabing

12. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

So far I've had several comments and pm's about the boxes. It seems many have had a good experience with the repops so far, just be sure to check them for grease. Many are shipped dry.

Some of the locals have installed the aftermarket rack and like it's positive and firm steering. Their only complaint is the lack of turning radius.

13. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I've got a Speedway Vega box on mine, but not run it yet. I believe they are a re-pop, but no idea where they are made.

I'm not sure what it has inside, grease or oil, or anything, and I've no idea where to put it in yet either.

14. Alfster

Alfster

These are being made in New Zealand by Ed Juniour Kustom Rides. Only available in right hand drive.

Attached Files:

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We will sell only the Canadian made boxes on our chassis. They ain't the cheap ones. I've tried the cheaper boxes with no success. Not a place to cut corners. I'll pay a little more for peace of mind.

16. Reds 29

Reds 29

I had an original one on but it got real sloppy, and ran out of adjustment, so I replaced it 2 years ago with one from Speedway. I haven't had any problems with it, but I'm going to check for oil/grease. I had to grind a little off my motor mount to get it to fit but the bolts lined up ok. Are the boxes from Speedway Motors made in Canada?
    Red

17. Once again you are in the wrong place!!!

18. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

How can we determine whether the box is made in Canada? Can someone offer identifying markings or numbers? Any pics? It seems there is a positive experience history with these.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  19. Here's one from a newer car.
    80's era Camaro perhaps - we never have idntified it exactly, found on a junkyard shelf.
    Pay attention to the direction the pitman shaft turns.
    There's another one of these that turns opposite to normal.
    For the front-steer cars we think.
    [​IMG]

The box fit fine with block-hugger headers - one brand anyway.

The car (29 A sedan) was sold, the headers kept by the first builder.
    The block-huggers purchased by the new owner conflict with the steering box so he's swapping for a Vega box.

Here's a Saginaw 122, next size up from the Vega 140.
    Fits the Vega mounting plate.
    [​IMG]

Saginaw 525, also fits the Vega mounting plate.
    [​IMG]

Want power steering in a compact box?
    Saginaw 605, fits the Vega mounting plate.
    [​IMG]

Vega MB140 box for reference.
    Pics not too scale.
    [​IMG]

20. bob41

bob41

The made in Canada box has a metal tag attached to cover bolt which says made in canada , hope this helps.

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have a saginaw 525 on my 33 and it is great. No steering effort at all to trun the truck and a great turning radius....I have used a vega before but I like the saginaw box as it is a little heavier duty and a direct bolt on..............Remember the 2 most important things on your car.....Number One is STEERING ....Number Two is BRAKES....so don't go Cheap........

22. Regarding what you said (I highlighted it in red below). If my memory serves me right, front and rear boxes turn the same direction.

That's 'cause the front steer cars have the pitman arm mounted pointing to the rear of the car, not the front. So, there's no need to change the rotation.

Diagram it and you'll see what I mean.

And, unless they've made recent changes, Flaming River boxes are junk. There's a thread on here someplace devoted to that

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  23. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I bought a reproduction, and yep..it leaks grease, but works okay.

24. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

i have had 2 repop boxes with a little adjusting and some grease they both worked great and havnt leaked yet

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Are decent original Vega boxes that difficult to find in Texas ?? :confused: I do not ever have any problems finding a used Vega box ... in my area. I bought 5 for one hundred dollars a few weeks ago and they took them off the Vegas for me.

[​IMG]

26. Late 85 when I was getting stuff together for my 32 I went to a small town SoCal junkyard.

Out of 25 Vega's there were only two steering boxes.

Very popular even then.

27. Seems like the front steer cars would have the pitman in front.

Pretty sure I'm right here.
    Things didn't look right and my two pals agreed.

It was a Saginaw box and looked a lot like the one in the pic with the orange block.
    I believe the pitman arm was straight and not like the S-curve pitman arm shown in the pic.

I'll look a little closer at the Chevys next time I'm in the junkyard.
    Most times I don't go near em....:D

28. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

I bought one of the Chinese specials for my truck and there was barely any grease in it when I received it (am I the only one who checks this kind of thing Before I bolt it to a vehicle?). I packed it completely full of sta-lube and it works quite well but without the leaking that others reported.

29. mow too much

mow too much

DA34guy, I had heard the marvel would not self center. I asume this is not correct since you have used many?

30. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

With all of these great choices - how stoked would I be if I were restoring a Vega?